Advice on 4Runner Build Priorities

snye

Hello all,

I've finally picked up a 2009 SR5 4wd 4Runner and am ready to take the time and money to build it up. My main goal is to have a rig to take my kids camping to remote places, more than just dirt roads, but not technical rock crawling.

Right now I'm in the middle of fabricating a full length roof rack followed by a 40" light bar, but I need help on where to go from here.

Funds are not endless, so this will be a slow process. Right now it has nearly new tires, good tread for dirt roads but not sand, mud or gravel. I would like to do a lift, and add some BFG A/T a bit taller than the ones I have (from 265/70 r16 to 285/75 r16). But, I wonder if I should keep the good tires I have and put that money elsewhere, like a set of Maxtrax, a compressor, dual battery or roof top tent.

So what are your build priorities and why?

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Top priority for me is always tires. I think tires are overlooked a lot but to me their the most important thing on your truck. After tires I always try and get a winch. With a good set of tires and a good winch you can get out of pretty much everything, and with taking your family as a priority I'd think about stuff like that that would keep you from getting stuck or stranded.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I'm never a fan of replacing something completely good, like your tires from the sound of it. Tires are expensive--I can't see replacing them before they need it.

My priorities are in the recovery, safety and communications departments. I find it important to have some recovery tools along and know how to use them, be able to reach someone when out of cell range, and be able to stay safe and comfortable when outings involuntarily last longer than planned. I carry at least a come-along and a pair of loop-type recovery straps, a set of wrenches and sockets, a CB and ham radio, a first-aid kit, extra water and food and a basic water filtration kit in addition to the standard camping supplies.

I was considering a roof-top-tent for a time but found them to be over-priced. Some do really value to ability to sleep off the ground but I like ground tents just fine. You can also find compact tent trailers for a few hundred $$ if you're a savvy Craigslister. Many do like their RTTs though--it's a matter of personal preference. Be careful loading that roof rack--lots of weight up high makes for spooky off-camber driving.

I'm in the "less-is more" camp and find that it's easy to get carried away with aftermarket modifications and accessories when the stock equipment and some driving techniques get the job done just fine. I've had far more "why did I change that?" moments than "I wish I'd added this" moments. Oh, and a bicycle pump is a great source of emergency air. I used to carry an air tank when I aired down for trails but I haven't done that in years and the tank was taking up too much space...

Enjoy the 4Runner!

Last edited:

summerprophet

Adventurer
Just give it time.... your needs are not my needs, and everyone builds their rigs to fit their individual requirements.

Get a few trips out with the kiddies and you will start getting a list together of everything you want to change. Your experiences will provide far better information to you than telling you to what I did with my 4runner.

Enjoy the new ride!

zidaro

Explorer
a High Lift and knowledge to use it safely
a huge tire plug kit
CO2 tank for emerg. air (much more volume in less space than air)
good tool kit
RTT would be cool, but alot of $$ and a GTT does the same until you know you want it.
I LOVE my ARB fridge
mild lift and tires to suite your use are great, but can add that when you wear out what youve got
rear locker or Limited slip if your getting out there a bit will take you a long ways

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I've thought long and hard about this very question when I bought my '13 TE. Everyone's needs are different but it sounds like you and I are in a similar boat. First and foremost, I wanted a rack up top and awning. This would allow me to actually carry all the gear that I need to take the family camping and make room in the 4runner for the wife and kids to fit comfortably. It also allows to carry extra fuel or propane outside of the vehicle and away from kiddos. The awning obviously provides more shade and extra dry space for when it rains. Second, was tires and wheels for me. The size tires I chose will fit the stock height vehicle but would also work okay if I were to lift it now. I'd like to hold off on lifting the car until I figure out what exact suspension I'll need (weight capacity-wise). I don't want to lift it with light duty springs then have to turn around and replace them with heavy duty springs when I add a bumper, winch and sliders etc. My third addition, as Zidaro mentioned, was the ARB fridge...it's nothing short of awesome. I don't know if you've considered one but they are worth the cost for sure. I want camp to be comfortable and convenient for the family...once i get them hooked, I can justify the extra mods needed to reach out to more remote camping locations. I will get some MaxTrax or something similar very soon as well as a larger starter battery (think group 31 Diehard platinum). I've shelved the dual battery idea for the time being. I've been running the ARB fridge off of oem battery for over a month and it's performed flawlessly.

The shrockworks group buy has me considering a front bumper and maybe just running it winch less until I can get a winch... More later...3yo just woke up :Wow1:

ebg18t

Adventurer
As mentioned earlier it all depends on usage. I opted for suspension first as after out first trip loaded down I lost a lot of clearance and the truck had a lot of wallow. Once I did suspension I did tires. I kept the stock skid plates till they were trashed. I did install a BajaRack and IronMan awning. I like the extra space for fuel and other crap up top.

We starting going places with no cell reception so I added a Ham radio, attended the HAM fest to get schooled and bought the repeater book. The addition of the Engel Fridge brings the comfort features of home (ie no ice). This yielded a dual battery setup for piece of mind.

What I am really saying is, try the truck and change it as needed for you and your family.

Happy Turkey Day!

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Tires that work in the terrain you plan on going into. 32-33" lift only if you need it
Hi lift with extra cable they work well as winch
Tire repair kit with on board air. Tank or pump
First aid kit not a cheep one. One that you can treat gashes, burns, bleeding etc. I just recently used my suture kit even have picture
After that spend you money on camping comfort. Keep the family comfortable and they want to keep going out

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
As most others have already said, your needs are specific to your wants and your families priorities. That said, ill share my list for my 04 that ive been working on for the past year. First up was transferring my recovery/tool/first aid kit and finding a place for that to live in the 4Runner.

When I bought my 04 4runner, the tires and shocks were shot so i had a good reason to do lift and tires relatively soon. I wasnt planning for a winch or big bumper so i decided to stick with stock springs and get Bilstein 5100's all around. That gave me just shy of 2.5" of lift in the front, and i put a 1.5" poly spacer in the rear to level it. This fit 265/75r16 Duratracs beautifully. The lift cost me under $400 (installed myself) and the tire size is a perfect compromise for my needs. I drive the vehicle everyday and didnt want to sacrifice gas mileage or drivability. As soon as you go to a 285, seems like guys have to do some trimming, chop body mounts and get upper control arms to get it to align. That wasnt something I was interested in, so I stayed with a 265/75 and it has been great. The lift and tires have given me great confidence on all my adventures, and if your tires are in decent shape, you may consider selling them on craigslist for a few extra $$$ to help with the expense of new tires.

My adventures arent as long as I would like them to be so I havent found the need for a fridge or RTT...yet. Your needs may be different.

snye

Thanks to all for your input. It is hard to give up a set of perfectly good tires. Part of me wonders if I really need them or if I'm doing it just for the look of the lift and beefy tires.

I agree that some recovery gear (Maxtrax, high lift jack, cum a long, compressor, etc) may go further than a new set of tires.

I would love to get an ARB fridge cause man, I hate having to adjust my route to stop and get more ice.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
When you say not technical or rock crawling, then I'd say pack the truck and get out there. We live in a day of excess. I am a mild example myself. My father however was not. We went all over the mountains in all kinds of terrain and conditions, in stock vehicles. He first had a '77 Jeep Wagoneer, it was replaced with an 82 diesel Jimmy, which was replaced by a 92 Bronco. Not a single one of these vehicles even had limited slip, and he always ran his tires till the belts were showing. He was always able to get in and out of any hunting spot or fishing hole he wanted.

What I am tring to say is even with the rock crawling and off-roading I have done, I can't see when you will ever need Maxtrax or a winch. Especially if you are going to be avoiding bad terrain. More than likely you won't ever need agresive tires. You may want these items, but they are just going to add weight and take up space in your rig.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think you're on the right track. Don't swap out anything unless you need to. WRT the RTT, I would say think about that one. RTT's are extremely expensive and heavy. For your needs a decent ground tent might work just as well and be more flexible. For what you spend on a RTT you could get a ground tent, cots, sleeping bags, and still have enough left over for a pretty awesome trip!

I'll echo the fridge though. I've never heard of anybody saying they regretted spending $$ on a fridge. Once you go "cold" you never go back! ;)

ebg18t

Adventurer
I'll echo the fridge though. I've never heard of anybody saying they regretted spending $$ on a fridge. Once you go "cold" you never go back! ;)

Yep.. The Engel Fridge was one of the few purchases my wife agreed with and called it "kick ***" once it was installed and used for the first time. We have a couple bottles of wine, filets, burgers, bratwurst, milk, eggs and all the other comforts of home with us this week. All of it is dry and cold. No soaking wet ice water covered stuff. Oh and we keep a pint of Ben & Jerries cookie dough ice cream on the bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles