Service Bed Trailer Build

Floridazed

OK, so I did a little wiring today and figured I'd snap a few shots of the underside and frame. Its a pretty simple setup as you can see. KISS

photo copy 6.jpg
The new bumper is a stainless steel jeep bumper I got cheap $10 at a truck show. The hitch is for my bike rack. The beer is a Summer lager with lemon... because it was hot here today. Gotta love Florida.

photo copy 7.jpg
Front portion of underside. There is a "cooler tray" that the welder mis-measured and is too small for my yeti. Not sure how I will handle that yet.

photo copy 8.JPG
Back curb side

photo copy 9.jpg
Front again with new wiring

photo copy 10.JPG
Axel, springs, and frame "money shot" for you guys

Floridazed

I'm hopeful and anxious. And a bit nervous that some guy is going to die of a black widow bite.

So, I got done with all the wiring this weekend, and decided I needed to get some new rubber. The tire on it now are 30 years old and have no sidewall support.
I cleaned off the cobwebs and brought it to a local Tire shop. (literally, there was a host of Black widow spiders who lived on one of the rims. Sure, its a risky security system...)

Yada, Yada, Yada... they told me to leave them the keys to my jeep, leave the trailer, and they would call me in the afternoon tomorrow to pick it up....

UPDATE: 31" Coopers sitting proud. No spring over lift... kept it safe and level, while making it look great. Happy with job...
photo copy 12.jpg

Last edited:

Floridazed

Quick question/opinion needed:

Was wondering if I could get some help.

I am putting the neoprene seals on the doors... where should I stick them? On the side, as pictured, or the front (adjacent beside it 90 degrees)?
I cleaned the sills so well that I have no trace as to what they were before, lol

Does anyone have a reference to their trailer? There probably is a "better way" between the 2. And I dont have the material or time to run a test study.

sorry, forum flipped image sideways
photo copy 11.JPG

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Just my opinion but if they are on the side like you show the door will by trying to peel them off every time you close them. I would put it on the back so the door is pushing against the seal.

loren85022

Explorer
Andy, if the rubber doesnt hold, I'll go out and find the remainder of the rubber stripping I used. It was identical to the rotten original rubber. The glue i used has not failed. I'll get you some specs if needed.

Not to hijack Andy's build but if anyone is shopping for a fiberglass util-box, this one on CL aint bad. right body, right price.

Floridazed

Thanks Loren, I stuck all the rubber tonight and I will see how it holds.

That Fiberglass box link is Bad ******** I wish I started with something like that!

Reefish

This is looking great. The frame looks well made. Looks tough with the new tires and black rims. I'm starting to research how to wire my trailer. Do you have any advice or links to good info that you found helpful while wiring.

Thanks

Floridazed

Thanks Reefish.

5 Wiring tips*:
1. use a thicker guage wire than the autoszone special
2. For all connectors, buy the connectors that you can heat shrink to the wire. Built in heat shrink. Waterproof and high quality.
3. Always wrap wires and heatshrink. Dont use the things that you snap together and they poke the wire. Take time to do it right. NO ELECTRICAL TAPE
4. I used a Dielectric Grease (mine was from the railroad) to prevent corrosion and also make a better electrical contact on ALL places wires connect and ground.
5. Dont hide your grouding point to the trailer. I ran all my grounds to the front of the trailer by the hitch... so I can have easy access. Most problems in your electrical system are caused by bad grounds.

* Im no electrical engineer.... but i did wire a trailer last week.

Floridazed

Thanks mgeiger.

A few more pics.

photo copy 14.jpg
Got the lights working, They are all the same and redundant in case one or 2 go out. Plus, safer... more big red glowing things to keep me from being rear ended!

photo copy 15.jpg
Inside of lights wiring. I painted the inside of all the cabinets a gloss white, so I can see better at night and keep them cleaner.

photo copy 16.jpg
Another rear photo. LOTS of diamond plate! I installed some neat little male/female things to hold the doors open. the driver side is higher than the right. I was 5 beers deep when I measured... thats what happens when you measure with finger widths. Sometimes 3 fingers from the light, turns into 4 moments later.

photo copy 17.JPG
Sooo.... Where to add this little modification?

Last edited:

loren85022

Explorer
I'm about to add a rack on top of my trailer like yours. I'll use it to store muddy boots, kindling for a fire, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles