Morris Mule Trailers

c_mack9

Adventurer
Here is a photo of the Gerry can mount. Two simple pieces of steel one angle and the other flat and some hardware. These are the front runner can holders that are about $100 each but are tough stuff...powder coated stainless steel. I changed the mounting hardware since the previous picture which was from weeks ago. It is important you use some grade 8 or higher.

View attachment 291184

Also, I fabbed up a mount for the propane tank (aluminum 11gal). This has been working nicely. The weakest part is the bracket that came with it. I'll be rethinking this mounting in front of tongue box.

View attachment 291185

Currently in an excellent campsite at Buckeye Reservoir in the Manti-La Sal mountains Southeast of Moab, above Paradox CO. Headed to Grand Junction CO to pick up a new Baroud and sell my CVT Mt. Rainier then on to the Alpine Loop!

Cool, please let us know where you post the pics from this trip. I'd love to see them, especially if they have the Mule in them.

TouringGirl

I recently bought the Morris Mule trail model trailer and am posting my early experience so others may consider features (or lack thereof) that may or may not suit your intended use; overall, I wish I had built my own up as my intended uses have required substantial modifications on my own. FWIW, the trail model ran about $4600 with the spare tire, which is a price point where I felt it should have been readily customizable/adaptable to anticipated/marketed off-road hauling including common backcountry/outdoor gear (i.e. tent, bikes, propane, spare tire).

1) The tent mount bar design did not accommodate my Pakmeister tent, a common higher end rooftop tent. We had to saw off the vertical bar mounts so the tent would/could open sideways, then drill new holes for the table top chain hooks.
2) The bars also interfered with bike handlebars when we tried a hitch bike rack off the back receiver. We tried 3 different adult bikes and none fit without hitting the horizontal bar; we had to use an additional hitch extender, which resulted in a LOT of wobble in the bikes loss of one in transit.
3) The stabilizer bars for the back of the trailer came from the manufacturer with ONE hole for a cotter-pin type design, which didn't accommodate uneven terrain one would expect when using the trailer [even in relatively even campground surfaces much less off-road backcountry set up]. We drilled more holes on our own. We contacted Morris Mule and they did agree to send us new bars with more holes but it was easier/faster to do it ourselves; when we asked about availability of a jack-type or screw-type stabilizer option, they replied it would add too much cost and too many moving parts [to the $4600 TRAIL model trailer!].
4) The tub opens into convenient working surfaces for cooking, etc, but the open tops have no drainage system for rain or spilled liquids. We drilled drain holes. Again, when we contacted the manufacturer they replied that drainage would potentially affect the tub's watertightness but if I really wanted them I could "drill [my own] holes for under a buck fifty."
5) Per above failure of being able to use the rear receiver for a hitch bike rack, we tried to use a dual hitch adapter on our truck to attach both a) the trailer and b) a bike rack in front of the trailer. However, the spare tire then interfered with the bike rack. We asked Morris Mule to consider building us a hitch-mount spare tire holder to move the tire to the rear receiver and got a reply that they were "not in the rack business." We also asked about mounting the tire under the cargo basket and they replied they didn't think it would provide enough clearance (even though we thought so).

Conclusions: We had to do a LOT of modifications on our own to actually haul gear other than what fits inside the tub. This was hugely disappointing given the price point of the trailer and the marketing specifically for off-roading/backcountry camping and gear hauling. We were repeatedly assured the tent mount system was universal, which proved entirely untrue. The manufacturer responsibility and attitude was very poor. Consider building your own unless you have a lot of money to spend on a admittedly cool-looking trailer that can haul stuff in the tub and a SMALL/SHORT tent without other significant gear needs beyond that.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I wouldn't call that "a lot" of modifications.

It's really just the typical fit-up associated when two dissimilar brands are brought together for the first time. It's rare that such a combination of two distinct manufacturers results in a flawless set-up right off the bat. One usually has to make a few adjustments or modifications to ensure everything works the way you want it to.

Further, it always takes two to tango, so comments about "poor attitude" work, at the very least, in both directions.

zacattack

i am on this forum almost daily but ive never made an account because ive never had anything to say. that changed when i read "TouringGirl's" review. i do not own a morris mule but i hope to in the future. i have been following their trailer for about a year now and this is the first negative thing i have heard about it. and it seems to me that all of her problems are just that... HER problems. she said the trailer was $4,600, that is waaay more than the price on the website. she says she felt for that much $$ that it should have been readily customizable, then she says she had to make substantial modifications. isnt that the same thing? when you customize something you add modifications, am i right? if i was going to buy a "higher end rooftop tent" (which sounds like bragging to me) and buy a separate trailer to mount it to, i would have pulled a tape measure on at least one of em, you know, just to make sure. i am pretty positive that the measurements are on the website. next problem, the bike rack, she said she tried 3 different bikes but none fit. that sounds like the bike rack was the problem not the trailer. about the stabilizer bars, if they offered to send you new ones to fix your complaint and you turned them down, thats on you. why even complain about it if they offered to fix it???? i know most women dont need a reason to complain so i could be wrong. She drilled holes in the lids, that are made to be weather proof, and that is somehow their fault? "they replied that drainage would potentially affect the tub's watertightness" that sounds like a damn good reason NOT to drill holes in them. if you spill something, the first thing that comes to my mind is... Bounty... its the quicker picker upper... if that doesn't work, you should probably try not to spill your beer. one of the main reasons i want this trailer is because it has almost as much ground clearance as my jeep. if you were to put the tire up under the trailer, that would take away a significant amount of clearance. thats a problem. i was brought up to ask questions if i wasnt sure about something, imo, if she had of asked a few questions before buying the trailer she would not have had all of her so called "problems". i think shes just mad that it was her fault so shes trying to make the trailer look bad. If you read this TouringGirl, its not working hunny

LostBurro

Observer
she said the trailer was $4,600, that is waaay more than the price on the website.

The trailer itself is $3,875, but she purchased the spare wheel/tire and carrier also. The spare wheel/tire combo price is not currently listed on the MMTC website, but lets say $100 (just for the sake of discussion), the spare tire carrier is another $95 or $145, depending on which one she purchased, or was available at the time of her trailer purchase. But then you have to add shipping to that base price. For me, out here to the left coast, that was $630. I did not go through a dealer, as she did, and no dealer, trailer-auto-truck-etc, is going to eat that kind of shipping cost. And, the trailers come unassembled, so the dealer she purchased it from may have charged for the assembly. Not far off from the "Dealer Prep" when purchasing a new vehicle. Her claimed $4600 price is pretty close to what would be considered "normal".

What she doesn't say in her rant is that in her review of MMTC, on Facebook, she states that she received her trailer after the "promised" delivery date. Then she goes on to say, "I didn't get it u tip mid June." HOWEVER, she posted a photo on HER Facebook page, of the trailer, hooked up to a vehicle, at a gas station, with tent and bikes, on June 6th.
How the loaded trailer, photo'd on June 6th, wasn't delivered until "...mid June." is anybodies guess.

She also doesn't state that she joined this forum, and at least two others (ih8mud and fjcruiserforums) for no other reason than "so others may consider features (or lack thereof) that may or may not suit your intended use". More like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their way and wants to slam the mfg.

I could go on.

Why not.....

If the price was an issue why didn't she purchase a Ruger 5 foot? Base price is $4295, Top rack is optional for, $(price not on their website), and rear stabilizers are optional for $165. And there wouldn't have been any shipping cost as she could have driven across town and picked it up from the factory. She should be happy the stabilizers were included in the base trailer cast.

Morris Mule Trailer Company markets their rack system as a "canoe rack". If it needed to be modified to mount a tent, so be it. She's not the first to have to do that.
It appears she is the first to whine about it though.

Want a rear receiver spare tire mount? Go to Denver Scrap Metal Recycling (it has "cycling" in it. :D ), Den-Col Supply or Atlas Metal Sales, buy a piece of 2" X 2" square tube, bolt the purchased tire carrier to it, shove it in the rear....receiver, pin it and call it good. Well, chain it to the trailer in case it "wobbles" too much and falls off.

To make it sound like the fact of "... wobble in the bikes loss of one in transit." is the fault of MMTC, or the bike carrier mfg, is just plain fantasy.

I've got a million more issues with her issues, but I'll refrain, for now and give her the chance to jump in here and expand on her position.

jungblud

Observer
The trailer itself is $3,875, but she purchased the spare wheel/tire and carrier also. The spare wheel/tire combo price is not currently listed on the MMTC website, but lets say $100 (just for the sake of discussion), the spare tire carrier is another $95 or $145, depending on which one she purchased, or was available at the time of her trailer purchase. But then you have to add shipping to that base price. For me, out here to the left coast, that was $630. I did not go through a dealer, as she did, and no dealer, trailer-auto-truck-etc, is going to eat that kind of shipping cost. And, the trailers come unassembled, so the dealer she purchased it from may have charged for the assembly. Not far off from the "Dealer Prep" when purchasing a new vehicle. Her claimed $4600 price is pretty close to what would be considered "normal".

What she doesn't say in her rant is that in her review of MMTC, on Facebook, she states that she received her trailer after the "promised" delivery date. Then she goes on to say, "I didn't get it u tip mid June." HOWEVER, she posted a photo on HER Facebook page, of the trailer, hooked up to a vehicle, at a gas station, with tent and bikes, on June 6th.
How the loaded trailer, photo'd on June 6th, wasn't delivered until "...mid June." is anybodies guess.

She also doesn't state that she joined this forum, and at least two others (ih8mud and fjcruiserforums) for no other reason than "so others may consider features (or lack thereof) that may or may not suit your intended use". More like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their way and wants to slam the mfg.

I could go on.

Why not.....

If the price was an issue why didn't she purchase a Ruger 5 foot? Base price is $4295, Top rack is optional for, $(price not on their website), and rear stabilizers are optional for $165. And there wouldn't have been any shipping cost as she could have driven across town and picked it up from the factory. She should be happy the stabilizers were included in the base trailer cast.

Morris Mule Trailer Company markets their rack system as a "canoe rack". If it needed to be modified to mount a tent, so be it. She's not the first to have to do that.
It appears she is the first to whine about it though.

Want a rear receiver spare tire mount? Go to Denver Scrap Metal Recycling (it has "cycling" in it. :D ), Den-Col Supply or Atlas Metal Sales, buy a piece of 2" X 2" square tube, bolt the purchased tire carrier to it, shove it in the rear....receiver, pin it and call it good. Well, chain it to the trailer in case it "wobbles" too much and falls off.

To make it sound like the fact of "... wobble in the bikes loss of one in transit." is the fault of MMTC, or the bike carrier mfg, is just plain fantasy.

I've got a million more issues with her issues, but I'll refrain, for now and give her the chance to jump in here and expand on her position.
It was so obvious that I shouldn't feed her troll... I just didn't.

LostBurro

Observer
It was so obvious that I shouldn't feed her troll... I just didn't.

I know. I just couldn't help myself. :(

I think it was the fact that she joined all these, and more(?), forums just to whine about her personal problems.

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
I know. I just couldn't help myself. :(

I think it was the fact that she joined all these, and more(?), forums just to whine about her person problems.

I've seen unreasonable/psycho consumers do this multi-forum online bashing thing many times.

Amazingly, they have zero accountability for any of their disappointments.

Thank goodness I do not have to deal with the retail public and that members here are willing to pull the BS flag when necessary.

R

LostBurro

Observer
Wonder if there is any connection to these folks, http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/sgd/5140763873.html
Google redrock trailers too.

I doubt it. Since they are selling an "almost" exact stolen copy of a Morris Mule trailer I don't think they would bring that kind of attention to themselves. There was someone in the San Jose / Sacramento area advertising the D&D/Pak-All/RedRock trailers. His multiple ads disappeared today. He had images stolen from the Morris Mule website and an image of a MMTC trailer stolen from the Just Jeeps of Texas MMTC dealers page. If you don't have the smarts to design your own, you steal a design from someone else, and call it your own.
Ahhh, America!

TouringGirl

product review, not people review

I joined the forums because I thought they were for product reviews [of my Morris Mule trail model trail], NOT people reviews. If my product review and experience drives anyone to post personal insults on here, feel free. My intent was to provide a product review not explain, attack, or defend anyone's personal character. I have legitimate responses to all the things posted (i.e. why didn't I get out a tape measure) and I won't bother because my review was intended to stimulate some questions for other buyers to ask before buying it, not criticize the trailer as a total failure.

I have a month plus of texts, e-mails, and phone records that politely and earnestly tried to work with both Morris and All American, before I finally got any response at which time I had already made necessarily modifications and indeed was frustrated by the last of repeat attempts to reach Morris; in contrast, some folks on here got IMMEDIATELY angrily/emotionally reactive to a single communication that objectively outlined limits that I acknowledge are considerations for some uses but the trailer may be suited to others just fine. Sounds like I'm not the one lacking patience or earnest collaboration.

And shame on the silly gender remarks suggesting being female makes my review less credible. That's inappropriate.

c_mack9

Adventurer
I have a month plus of texts, e-mails, and phone records that politely and earnestly tried to work with both Morris and All American, before I finally got any response at which time I had already made necessarily modifications and indeed was frustrated by the last of repeat attempts to reach Morris; in contrast, some folks on here got IMMEDIATELY angrily/emotionally reactive to a single communication that objectively outlined limits that I acknowledge are considerations for some uses but the trailer may be suited to others just fine. Sounds like I'm not the one lacking patience or earnest collaboration.

Kevin-Hart-Takes-Big-Words-As-Disrespect-In-40-Year-Old-Virgin.jpg

TouringGirl

Lost Burro, as requested I will try to expand on your thoughts. I don't have a position on the trailer nor do I believe I have thrown out any of the character judgments being thrown at me; I posted customer experience and product observations. The trailer is suitable to some people and for some uses. I did not ask the right questions (my fault), and wasn't given accurate information about its capabilities where I did ask (i.e. is the tent mounting system universal to all RTTs). As is, the trailer didn't meet my intended uses, which were largely camping with an RTT (for which it is very clearly marketed) and hauling bikes along on such trips (my mistake... in retrospect I haven't found a single photo of bikes attached to it). I shared a series of considerations I hope will help others find the right trailer for their uses. The OPINION I expressed is that for me and my uses, I wish I had built my own.

a) Clarification of your suggested timeline incongruency: I ordered and paid the trailer deposit on 4/7 with promise of pre-Memorial weekend delivery; I got the trailer on 6/5; I called the dealer on 6/5 regarding the bar interference with tent operations, then have a whole series of texts, vmails, and emails sent thereafter to the dealer who assured me I would hear directly from Morris Mule; on 7/10, I got my first attempt of contact from Morris. Thus, I waited for a month after delivery before any attempt from Morris to discuss concerns. When concerns were discussed, I had already made modifications myself, and outstanding issues were dismissed by Morris Mule.
b) I would argue the stabilizer bars are not actually stabilizer bars if they drop down to ONE allowable level that didn't even level the trailer on our pilot text to a nearly flat campground site; they would certainly not work for offroad/backcountry camping.
c) Thanks for the tip on spare tire placement; I had considered using the rear hitch receiver for such and that is in fact what I asked Morris to do for us (yes, we could do that ourselves but at this point some customer service would have been welcomed). That said, my intended use was to haul bikes and I would need an alternate placement for the bike rack. I proposed to Morris Mule that I would try a dual hitch receiver up front at my own expense if Morris could accommodate my request to move the spare tire to the back (most ideal) or under the cargo rack (less ideal). I intuitively agree with Morris' position that the cargo rack option could interfere with clearance but to my surprise it looked more feasible than anticipated. In any event, Morris exact suggestion (copy-pasted) is "There is really no practical place to mount the spare tire, except on the tongue. Personally I don’t use a spare carrier but put the spare where it best fits on a particular trip. If it is suspended out over the back of the trailer it must be belayed to the trailer and opening the tailgate becomes a 5 minute ordeal." I'm not sure where that leaves the spare tire... inside the tub, strapped to the top of the tub?
d) The rear hitch receiver is a trailer issue, not a rack issue. It is placed flush with the trailer and does not extend out enough for any hitch-mount bike rack to operate with a bike on it without using a separate hitch extender. The hitch receiver is adequate for hauling something behind on a tow (i.e. the guy who posted he uses his trailer as food vendor wagon and pulls the BBQ on a ball behind it). I'm no mechanic, but my Rubicon hitch extends outward more so perhaps it's a simple fix to simply move the receiver out further? (so no... to the post accusing me of being some nature-contaminating, trash-throwing, RAV-4, lunatic "hunny"... I drive a Rubicon, I have spent years doing search and rescue as well as supporting wildfire mitigation teams running a woodchipper, I serve as a volunteer bike mechanic for a non-profit that supports underprivileged kids, and my friends and family generally consider me a relatively nice person even if people on here don't).

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
You take the opportunity to pound these folks in not one, but two off road trailer forums.

I get the feeling if you would've put a quarter of the effort in honestly trying to rectify any issues you might have had, as opposed to trying to singlehandedly trash their ( Morris Mule trailers)reputation... things might have been a bit smoother for you.

Just as an FYI, I have a good friend that has one, had it all customized by them, had it built while he was in Iraq...and has not had one problem with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior