Tires for expedition trailer

Fhunter1

Adventurer
Hello,

It is time for me to consider looking for new tires for my Conquerer Compact (1650lbs estimated)

The current tires are a SUV/Crossover road tire and are now at 10 years from date of manufacture. I do carry a spare but it is a different lug pattern than the tow vehicle. All three trailer tires are the same vintage. Current tire size is P245/75R16.

I have spent the last day searching the web off and on for recommendation but nothing was that helpful. I am thinking an AT tire would be best that has good self cleaning properties and tough side wall for protection from rocks. I live in the Midwest and plan to travel west with the trailer as well as use it here. I expect to be in sand, mud, rock ( smooth and sharp) and have some highway miles (MOAB is 1650 miles from here!)

I am leaning toward GY Silent Armor (OE on my Jeep), Duratracs or Bridgestone Dueler AT. I am open to others based on your recommendations.

Please share your thoughts and also any total failures for trailer tires.

Thanks in advance

daveh

Adventurer
I've also been looking at replacements for a trailer. It looks like the best bet is something wide. I see a lot of trailers with a tire matching the pull vehicle and while matching a BFG MT might look cool; since a trailer is simply being pulled along floatation seems to be the key.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you don't wish to match the tires on the tow vehicle you can always go with a tire that is the same size. That way if the rim has the same bolt pattern and the backspacing works the vehicle and trailer will have interchangeable set ups.

Look for a tire for the trailer that has a good side wall ply, and has a LT rating. Soft side walls can produce trailer sway, and passenger rated tires are not certified for use on trailers.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I'm using BFG A/Ts that were on my FJ. They still had fairly good tread and with five tires I expect they will last a very long time on this 1200# trailer. My suggestion is find a set of good take-offs at a tire store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdog1

Adventurer
Seems logical to put two new on the front of the truck and move the pull-offs to the trailer, if your settled in your vehicle selection. Worn tread should be fine for a trailer if the tire is "fresh" (less than 5 yrs. old). I'd just keep rotating from truck to trailer to spare....

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Seems logical to put two new on the front of the truck and move the pull-offs to the trailer, if your settled in your vehicle selection. Worn tread should be fine for a trailer if the tire is "fresh" (less than 5 yrs. old). I'd just keep rotating from truck to trailer to spare....

I agree with rotating the tires. Rotating the tires is essential for their longevity. Tires need to warm up from being run on the road so that the oils within the tire can flow keeping the tire flexible. If you don't do this the tire will dry out and rot from the inside.

Fhunter1

Adventurer
Keep the good ideas coming. Starting to think about switching drums on the trailer so ALL wheels are the same bolt pattern. A little off topic but aren't Jeep wheels hub centric? What about 2nd gen Tacoma? I don't have enough room for spacers so that would mean a new narrower axle.

bdog1

Adventurer
I don't think any aftermarket wheels are hub-centric. Only factory.

NetDep

Adventurer
IMG_9731.jpg

I am of the same wheel/tire for the trailer as the tow vehicle. This is a bit of wisdom I picked up here and insisted it be done on my trailer. I have not been "tested" yet but am of the opinion that when (not if) I am I want to have done all I can to avert disaster -- understanding that I might not but maybe was able to mitigate it a bit. Further thinking - I have seven of the same wheel/tire -- four truck, two trailer and one spare. In the worst case scenario I can scuttle the trailer and have two additional spares. That's my thinking on it anyway -- there are much wiser folks around here but I am always willing to learn!!!

Whatever you do - have fun!!!!

Fhunter1

Adventurer
still looking for ideas/input.

An axle swap to have the same wheel/tire combo sounds great but likely a lot of work at the moment. could be next year's project

Adventuro-Us

Fhunter,

Where in the D are you located? I would say go with the Jeep axle swap under your trailer, buy a used axle, one pair of matching used rims, buy the tires to match what is on your Jeep....done.

Im in Lansing, and have a shop you can knock this out in. I have a few fabricators from Roush who come and help me out on occasion. Im sure this would be an easy conversion!

Fhunter1

Adventurer
Adventuro-US,

I am located just north of Rochester. I may have to give that serious consideration as my welding is really ugly :)

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I would suggest not getting any tire with a LT designation. The tires are for carring weight and will not flex causing the trailer to bounce.

Fhunter1

Adventurer
Mike,

How's sunny El Paso? I lived there for almost 5 years working across the border. Still get down there about once a month for work. My family sure misses that part of the world especially this time of theyear when the snow flies.

grogie

Like to Camp
I have matching tires between my Jeep and trailer. They're 32x12.5/15 Goodyear MTRs. The idea is that the Jeep's spare works for the trailer (if something actually happened). 32s are also good enough for my needs for my Jeep. Trailer tows great with them.

e5a9df2f-4e7b-4213-8bae-a9a75b4e77c3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles