Nexus 7 or Samsung Tab 3???

Stevenson

I know its been discussed before, but lets hear which one and why? I want 32G (or be expandable to 32G), and 7 inch so it doesn't take up much space. Im an iPhone/iPad guy but it seems that there are many more great options for NAV/GPS in the android world. That is why I have it narrowed down to these 2.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RubiChris

Observer
I picked up a Nexus 7 with some cc points (after charging a move from AK) and have been running BackCountry Navigator on it. So far, (once I got the initial fix installed and I believe has since been fixed), it has performed flawlessly. I too was an "iGuy" and don't really see a downside to the Android OS. The only know I'd say with the Nexus 7 is that it lacks a sd slot so the memory isn't expandable (depending on the number, detail, etc. maps can be quite large).

java

Expedition Leader
I have a Nexus 10 and love it. An external HDD can be used with an additional app to let the tablet read it.

Vermonster

Observer
You should confirm but I heard the 7" tab3 has a crippled USB port so you can't use an OTG cable; apparently feature is enabled on the 8" and 10" versions.

xbox73

Adventurer
I have an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, and the GPS sensitivity on it seems really good. It often sees 2-5 more satellites than my Nexus 10, using the Android 'GPS Test' app (e.g nexus 10 - In view: 14, In use: 8; 8" Tab 3 - In View: 17, In use: 13), so it might be worth adding the 8" version of the Galaxy Tab 3 to your shortlist. The 8" is also the sweet spot of price vs. physical size, screen size, screen res, performance, etc. in the current Tab 3 line.

FWIW, I went to my local big box store with buying the new Nexus 7 in mind, and after playing with both, bought an 8" Tab 3 instead. And I'm not an anti-Nexus or Samsung snob, as I own an LG Nexus 5 phone & Samsung Nexus 10 too. I thought the Nexus 7 seemed too tall/long for me, and I preferred the look & feel of the 8" Tab 3. Though I wish the Samsung Tab 3 had a screen res of 1080p or higher (like the Nexus 7), I haven't noticed the 1280x800 being a hindrance in actual use, and I would prefer pure unadulterated Android, instead of Samsung's TouchWiz UI on top.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
I run a nexus 7. I also run an OTG for external GPS, external USB ports, etc. with no ill results.
I have on complaints thus far. I have owned it for approx 4 months now.

Andriod app store has an application for most anything you can possibly want....and most of them are free.

the downside is there is no expansion slot for SD cards. I bought the largest internal storage nexus 7 I could find (32g? I forget...maybe it's 16g). Mine is NOT 3g...wifi only as I usually have my air-card handy.

MotoDave

Explorer
I run a nexus 7. I also run an OTG for external GPS, external USB ports, etc. with no ill results.
I have on complaints thus far. I have owned it for approx 4 months now.

Andriod app store has an application for most anything you can possibly want....and most of them are free.

the downside is there is no expansion slot for SD cards. I bought the largest internal storage nexus 7 I could find (32g? I forget...maybe it's 16g). Mine is NOT 3g...wifi only as I usually have my air-card handy.

Do you have any details how you do the USB expansion, and how well it works to store things like downloaded maps?

I jsut got a Nexus 7, planning to try it out as a vehicle GPS. I think I can get by with pre-loading jsut the map sections for where I am planning to go, but it would be nice to have the whole state available on the go. I've been using Gaia GPS on my android phone for GPS and am relatively happy with it, what are you using?

Maverick1701

Adventurer
Do you have any details how you do the USB expansion, and how well it works to store things like downloaded maps?

I jsut got a Nexus 7, planning to try it out as a vehicle GPS. I think I can get by with pre-loading jsut the map sections for where I am planning to go, but it would be nice to have the whole state available on the go. I've been using Gaia GPS on my android phone for GPS and am relatively happy with it, what are you using?

I purchased the 32gig version.

I run my nexus7 as a mobile GPS while on my motorbike for on and off-road travel (it fits perfectly in the clear window of my tank bag). I use an OTG cable to run an external hockey-puck gps reciever (the internal GPS works well but I have found the external puck to me more accurate...especially off-road).

I haven't attempted to use the OTG cable to plug in a a USB used for software storage. this actually got me thinking. I just downloaded an application called AL MAss Storange Manager. It says it's used to just this purpose...maybe it will work...we will see.

I have two mapping programs for traveling.
Dual-Sport Maps (primarily for planning off-road routes, treks, etc) and OSMAnd Maps & Navigation (primarily for on-road travelling)...OSM is free as I am a cheap bastard and hate paying for apps. Both programs store maps locally and do not require internet connection. Also OSM uses open source mapping so it's updated fairly frequently.

so far I have only saved the maps to my hdd. I haven't had any space issues but I have only downloaded TX and surrounding states. I think you could DL the entire US without problems on the largest nexus 7. I am planning on doing all the states, if I remember Ill update this thread with overall storage required.

Some of the maps I have saved on hdd:

world basemap: 121.4mb
texas 338mb
oklahoma 87mb
colorado 143mb

they also have the option to DL road only maps (without the extra crap). Those are much smaller and still serve the same purpose.
for the comparious the texas road only map size is below.
Road-only maps:
texas- 59mb

Last edited:

zukrider

Explorer
my girlfriend took me early Xmas shopping the other night. went for the pick of Nex7 vs. Tab3. left with and 8" Note. Love it so far. should have BCN on it by the end of the month. will update as things progress or problems are found.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I've got a Tab 3 8.0 and use it for navigation only. The internal GPS is far more accurate than on my Samsung SIII. I run Back Country Navigator,
and PDF Maps. I've got zero complaints on it.

rfroy

Observer
I have a Nexus 7 and love it. I am however looking for a good offline GPS mapping program and mount for my 2006 Sierra - any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

zukrider

Explorer
Proclipusa.com for mounts.

Backcountry Nav seems to be the most used. there is also AlpineQuest.

both are available from the Google Play store. and both offer a free version. BCN a 14 day demo. AQ a free "lite" version. im in testing with both.

you also have the option of GaiaGPS. but i dont care for there monetary req's, nor the fact you cant get a light tester.

vonguido

Adventurer
I have the new Nexus 7 and I love it. Plan on using it as GPS system for my XJ. Will be downloading BCN and maybe a few others. I have the 32g WiFi version, I'm an apple guy but didn't want to pay the larger price for the mini

JimBiram

Adventurer
I've been using the Tab3 for several months with BCN and it works pretty well once you figure out the nuances of the software. I oicked up a TomTom suction cup mount which has held up on several trips so far. Because my LR3 has wires in the glass for defrost, it interferes with the Internal GPS of the Tab3 so I also use the XGPS150 external gps via bluetooth and it is very accurate. Since I now use the tab for APRS as well, the external gps feeds both apps simultaneously. I like the variety of maps available through BCN but others have some good maps too. Right now I have nearly 30gb of maps, which is mainly So Calif so I'm going to have to get a bigger card unless I delete something. Hard to beat for the price though. I havent had much success wih typical usb cigarette chargers because they don't out out enough current to put on a decent charge. In the car I usually run a small inverter and use the 110v charge cable.

Now my only issue is the ios versus android. If you arent a bit of a geek better go with ipad since it takes some playing with android to get stuff to work. Ipad is kind of plug and play while android does give lots of flexibility which also means more complication.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4

xbox73

Adventurer
I havent had much success wih typical usb cigarette chargers because they don't out out enough current to put on a decent charge.

Run a cigarette usb adapter capable of putting out 2.1A, like this flush mount one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077PM3KG. Note that's 2.1A total, for both sockets, not each socket, so you may not be able to plug something into the other USB slot while charging your tablet & still have the tablet charge sufficiently or efficiently.

Then get a charge-only cable for Android (IIRC, Android holds the 2 center pins at equal voltage, while Apple chargers expect 0.5V difference between the 2 center pins), like this coiled one: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W34X5O or this straight one: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W34X1I

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles