Black Friday Ambo

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You would think, but my jeeps had them. Breather tube at the fill port, but also had check valves off the tank itslef. ??

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I think the check valve seals off the tank and wont let air in. If air cant get in it makes it pretty hard for fuel to gurgle out the vent at the fill port. Ever tried to pour gas out of a can that didnt have a breather hole in it?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I agree, no way would I drill a hole in my fuel tank. Mess it up and not only are you buying a new fuel tank, your rig is out of commission until you get it installed.

Even when I mount a switch in a dash or console, I find a part that removable to mount it in, go buy a new piece (to make sure it's readily available), and then mount the switch in one of them and keep the other to re-install when I trade or sell the vehicle.

Abitibi

Explorer
These units don't use much fuel. A simple option would be to use another small tank or a small jerry can. The fuel line for the heater is tiny and can easily get plugged depending of fuel quality. A small remote tank would make it much easier to service.

As for the valve I'm pretty sure as well that's a rool over valve.

Cheers
Mr. D

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Abitibi thats a great idea. Look up summit racing and get you one of those little pony tanks like they use on drag cars. Looks like a small beer keg. Mount that on the frame rail someplace and you got a dedicated tank for your heater. The only real drawback to that is remembering to keep it full. Tapping in to the main tank, if you're out of fuel you probably have bigger troubles than worrying about your heater. :)

flightcancled

Explorer
Wait! I'm pretty sure that tiny Espar fuel line would fit with breathing room to spare in that tube. Why don't I just modify the cap and sent it directly in? Would the tank eat the hose? Cause I could also just find the equivalent pipe in metal.

flightcancled

Explorer
Ok did a little research. Here's what the sytem looks like when pulled from the tank. The line I found is indeed a viable pickup for fuel. Happy freaking new year to me! I just need to put an inline fuel filter in the system and keep the tank above 1/3 during the winter.

And for the record, yes it appears there can indeed be a second air vent which is located right next to the fill neck on the tank.

FuelPickup.jpg

Link: http://www.badgertrek.com/sportsmobile/appliances.shtml

Actually I bet Ken could tell us definitively as well, his sending unit is in plain site on the minimod box donor unit.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Sometimes you get luck, congratulations!

My first thought was, why doesn't the line extend down near the bottom? I wonder if it's because there is no screen of any kind on it and they want to keep it out of the trash?

flightcancled

Explorer
And/or to prevent the possibility of draining the tank. Although that's a lot of capacity they are leaving behind. In the linked build he dropped it all the way down and added a fuel filter (no pics included). I would suggest this as a pre-box swap mod if you were doing a build like Ken's. Again, it would be right in front of your face with no box on the frame.

The line was just too clean to be a vent. Look how filthy the top of the tank is. No way air was getting in there in volume.

FYI boys they also make components to make a diesel AC system. That would be a life saver as well. I would rather go that route than trying to build an enormous solar/ battery array. Bet you could run also a fridge off the unit if you mount the thermometer inside and rig a smart valve, multi zone thermostat setup of some kind.

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
Actually I bet Ken could tell us definitively as well, his sending unit is in plain site on the minimod box donor unit.

Alex what do you need a picture of. I can take a look for you tomorrow. Sorry that I did not see your request earlier I got hit with a cold/flu really bad for the past week!!
I've got a bunch of fence sections loaded on the back of the chassis now but should be able to access the top of the tank..

flightcancled

Explorer
No worries man, already figured it out. I will say that that tube was a lot more corroded and delicate than expected. I managed to crack it while putting the fuel line on. The whole thing ripped off. I wound up cleaning the jagged edge as best I could and sending the little fuel hose down inside the pipe. All I had handy to seal the top of the tank with was silicone. That will just have to do.for the moment until I can come up with something better. There is only 2 inches of space to work with without dropping the tank. Very frustrating.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Here's another picture of the unit. I have one of these tanks torn apart right now. The capped line is most definitely an aux fuel port. It's screaming at me to install a diesel heater in my van some day.

20150101_183038 (800x655).jpg

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Do you know why the wires are wrapped so haphazardly around the unit?

That's how it came from the factory. I imagine that if you wrapped wires around the tubing of a fuel tank insert 5 days a week for 50 weeks per year, you'd probably not care too much about what it looked like and you'd just make sure it didn't interfere with the float arm. That would be my guess anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior