Black Friday Ambo

flightcancled

Explorer
Pat the link isn't working.

Got the rig registered and inspected today! Gotta love having a local shop run by car guys. They were so stoked that there may be another ambo build starting in my small town.

I was trying to get the rig registered as a house on wheels initially, but when they wanted me to get towed to a transfer station to get weighed and back I just wound up resetting, and keeping my big fat mouth shut.

Damn near drove to shop without any seat belts. Whoops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
Nice!!! Glad you are on the road.
I registered mine commercial.
Just seemed to be the simplest way to get through DMV. I don't think I could drive it on the parkways anyway.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Hmmm, interesting. Must be classified Top Secret!

The image in #286? I see that clear as day. Hmmm. Hey! Did you forget to give him the password to our Super Secret Club? Maybe that's why the classified info isn't showing up for him. ;)

patoz

Expedition Leader
The image in #286? I see that clear as day. Hmmm. Hey! Did you forget to give him the password to our Super Secret Club? Maybe that's why the classified info isn't showing up for him. ;)

Tom, they must not be wearing their secret decoder rings!

flightcancled

Explorer
Yeah there was no way I was paying for a tow truck to go get myself weighed. So with a manufacturer rating of 10,500, minus all the stuff I've ripped out, plus the bed frame I was still committed to a commercial plate exact weight or not. I gave myself a maximum weight of 12,000.

Decoder ring!? I was wearing the x-ray glasses! Damn cracker jacks.

I've siliconed the holes in the rear doors shut for the moment. I still haven't found a good solution besides filling them and touching up the paint. Which is obviously not happening.

Tools and scraps have even cleaned out, remaining parts have been blacked out, tore out the last few things that were unnecessary and eating space sealed some holes I noticed in the front wheel wells where I am guessing the floor rot problem got its fuel, and did a lot of cleaning in annoying places. This week I'll be chasing some loose ends and moving all the gear from my truck and into the ambo to get ready for my first trip this weekend.

flightcancled

Explorer
Had a spooky moment today. Moving the rig around I had the rear in a dip and was pulling forward. As the weight shifted I heard a pop and felt a jolt. The passenger side air bag totally deflated.

Fearing the worst I still tried filling the bag up again. Sure enough the bag aired up perfectly and is holding pressure normally. I've even been measuring the height to make sure it isn't slowly leaking.

Is there some sort of pressure release valve to prevent the bag from popping? Could the valve have failed? Those are the only two things I've come up with.

The rear shocks seem shot and are horribly rusted so I am planning on swapping them ASAP but I don't want to kill my bags first.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Alex, I've never seen one on a bag itself, but I suppose there could be one inline somewhere. That might be a good question for Chris on the UJOR page.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Had a spooky moment today. Moving the rig around I had the rear in a dip and was pulling forward. As the weight shifted I heard a pop and felt a jolt. The passenger side air bag totally deflated.

Fearing the worst I still tried filling the bag up again. Sure enough the bag aired up perfectly and is holding pressure normally. I've even been measuring the height to make sure it isn't slowly leaking.

Is there some sort of pressure release valve to prevent the bag from popping? Could the valve have failed? Those are the only two things I've come up with.

The rear shocks seem shot and are horribly rusted so I am planning on swapping them ASAP but I don't want to kill my bags first.

Do you have an onboard pump for your air system? If so there is usually a pop-off valve somewhere that will pop to bleed off excess pressure, and then reset itself. It sounds like you have a manual fill system, with a fill port for each bag? If that's the case I'm guessing each line has a pop-off valve in it to prevent you from over filling the bags and blowing them. In my system the valve started getting weak and would bleed pressure every time I hit a pump. Made this gawd-awful squealing sound every time it did. Bought a new adjustable one and good to go ever since.

If yours aren't mounted close to/on the bags I'm guessing they'll be close to the fill ports.

flightcancled

Explorer
Excellent thank you! I don't have an OBA pump or tank unfortunately, although after yesterday it is something I am thinking about again.

Yeah now that I think about it it sounded a lot like when you pop the dump valve on a compressor without all the hissing.

I'll have a look into this further this evening. If I don't have release valves I may add them.

flightcancled

Explorer
All loaded up for some fun

zyje4u5a.jpg

Started playing with my old projector headlights.
pazazy3e.jpg

ra4ezy6y.jpg

If they fit they should be great mounted up front.

The rear air bag deflated again today. The pop was noticeably smaller this time. No luck finding a release valve, so I think the fill valve is failing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior