Black Friday Ambo

cjken

Explorer
Ken, maybe you need to leave the lights on too, so you can find it when it gets buried!

Stay safe...

Didn't need to leave lights on.
Really not as bad as predicted. Being on 37's definitely helped with mobility today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422385176.557915.jpg

flightcancled

Explorer
Mine has always been a beast to start in the cold, but that was when it was just a beast to start in general. I haven't tried starting it yet since the temps dropped this winter now that I have my starting issues worked out.

Do you guys have better luck letting the glow plugs work for a few minutes, or do you just count to 10 and then crank?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Mine has always been a beast to start in the cold, but that was when it was just a beast to start in general. I haven't tried starting it yet since the temps dropped this winter now that I have my starting issues worked out.

Do you guys have better luck letting the glow plugs work for a few minutes, or do you just count to 10 and then crank?

I usually cycle mine twice and it turns over pretty good. Best thing though is having the block heater plugged in. Fires right up. I probably should replace my plugs just so I have a known history on them. Shoot, I don't even know if they all work at this point.

gtbensley

Explorer
Mine starts no problem plugged in well bellow zero degrees. She will start unplugged as well but I have to cycle the plugs a few times and crank it for a few seconds. Normally catches and dies but if I give it some throttle she will go.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Happy B Day, hope its a good one.

To answer a previous question, waiting 10, 20, 30 secs makes no difference. Sometimes quickly cycling a few times seems to help, but plugging it in seems to be the only surefire way to have it start & run nice. With 15,000+ hrs on the clock and 7 years of owners since BC Ambulance maintained it, I'm sure the relay is FUBARED, and the plugs not far off.

flightcancled

Explorer
Started wrapping up putting the doors back together.

Wires from the signals and running lights were run back behind the front body panels and then into a grommet right in front of where the door wires are in a rubber boot. From there by pulling the speakers out and removing the tape on the cab side of the boot/tube I could run a wire down from the doors and used that to pull the signal wires into the doors. I also pulled an extra wire which I left in place to serve as a ground, or tracer to pull future wires with.

Doors then got insulated.

3cd3e77b51cafccebd48273f396458b7.jpg

Learned the hard way that all the square holes need to be cut out including the 2" below to the bottom of little indent. Also space needs to be made for the back of the door light.

flightcancled

Explorer
Uh, well the situation has been horribly frustrating. It is still stuck at the mechanic (going on a year now). It's served as free storage and a work yard, but I can't get the damn thing out and on the road between finding more issues and trying to actually get my mechanic to crawl under there and finish what needs to be done.

The tranny has been gone through, all new brakes front and rear- everything went including all lines and cables. The rear bumper had to be torched off after I unbolted it (cut the bastards off), ground the visible beads of weld holding the bumper on, and then proceeded to try jumping, jacking, slamming, wedging and everything else imaginable to get it off. The exhaust has been replaced with a custom bent setup which rides as high as possible. The list goes on... right now the tranny is being bolted back up and the drive shaft going to the rear axle connected. Following that it is all new tires (1" size jump) and an alignment and I am on the road... I think...

Oh and someone broke in last week and stole some tools. Awesome.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Your situation sounds a little like mine, but on a much larger scale. It's been in the upper 90's here when it's not raining, with a heat index around 106°, so it's pretty much too hot to work outside. Therefore, I've been working on much smaller items and components inside in the AC.

Right now, I'm putting together my first aid kit and my bug out/get home bag. Amazon is either my friend or my worst enemy, I just not sure which. :) It's not much, but it's progress.

cjken

Explorer
Hi Alex
Nice to see an update.
I'm not sure if you saw the truck below posted. It is already 4x4. If you are still thinking of converting this may be a good route.
Not to mess up your build plans cause I know the build process is a big part of the fun.
But this could get you in the road 4x4 right away. And still give you a chance to build out the box however you want.
I believe it is a PSD.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437600888.220914.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles