Beat to Death Roof Rack Questions?

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Going a little off topic, have you taken a look at the Front Runner racks for the JK? You mentioned taking your top off wasn't too big of a deal to you, and if your looking at AEV then your obviously not against the thought of drilling holes through your top. I run a full length rack on my personal JK, my shop manager runs the half rack, and we've sold/installed quite a few of them. The racks are hellaciously stout, very well built. The other thing that is very nice is the availability of mounting accessories/options specifically geared to the racks. Everything from shovel/axe/awning mounts to water tanks, etc. They would suit your needs now and whatever your needs change to in the future.

I have no experience with the AEV rack, even though we're a dealer for them. I have no doubt that they are extremely high quality, well built, and well engineered because all of AEV's products are. On Gobi, I've been around a few and have never heard anyone mention anything bad about them either.

Not trying to put a salesman pitch on you regarding the Front Runner stuff, just wanted to put out an option that you might not have considered. Feel free to PM or email me, or give me a call at the shop. I'd be happy to send you pictures of both the full rack and half racks actually installed and in use and/or give you more info.

Matt

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Matt I did look into frontrunner and there video is impressive, but I am not a fan of how the rack ties into the windscreen. It just looks like it was an after thought. Also the frontrunner docent have the top bar like AEV can have and Gobi dose have. To me roof rack just look better with a top bar. Also the AEV and the Gobi are made in America.

Thanks for all the replys this is a hard chose for sure and it's a lot of money ether way. Again not worried about the holes. After years of driving soft tops with half doors I don't ever plan to take the hard top off this jeep ever.
Nate

Last edited:

mrshish

Observer
I spent a lot of time looking at racks and felt both the AEV and Gobi were great quality. I ended up getting my Gobi installed yesterday and love it. My needs were slightly different as I don't want a rack on unless I need it in an effort to cut down on noise and increase mpg. That was what swayed me to Gobi, if it wasn't for the need to remove it I would of gone AEV or possible Front Runner.

One thing I can say about Gobi is it's really stout and I have no worries about doing off camber trails with RTT.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Theb MBRP (Off Camber Rack) will support over 350lbs mobile and 750lbs static-it also supports an RTT !

PICT0106.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

lysol

Explorer
Yep, two Goal Zero Boulder 30 panels. They power a power pack, or can be linked to my batteries to keep them changed while parked for long periods of time will camping.

With 60 watts mounted up there flat, how many amps or watts do you normally bring in on average?

Vince1

Adventurer
If you like leaks, go with the AEV (see AEV board for full discussion). If you want something that just plain works, go with the Gobi.

Attachments

• rotapaks.JPG
    rotapaks.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 39

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
That is the actual useable area of the Gobi floor? I am looking to mount Maxtrax and gas up there. It seems like there is a lot of lost space with out the insert. It kind of Erks me they want to charge extra to get a full floor on a roof rack.

Yeah, I wish they included the insert with the price of the base rack, however, most people dont require the additional space. The AEV rack however, doesn't have as much space to begin with. For what its worth, the front floor insert is $130, and does allow you to use your entire roof space. If you need the additional space, and want to put both gas, and Maxtrax on your roof, then your roof rack choice between the AEV and the Gobi seems pretty clear.

dstock

Explorer
That is the actual useable area of the Gobi floor? I am looking to mount Maxtrax and gas up there. It seems like there is a lot of lost space with out the insert. It kind of Erks me they want to charge extra to get a full floor on a roof rack.

Most places you order from usually have a deal where you get at least one "accessory" plus the ladder and the wind deflector for free. I got the floor insert as my free accessory.

I don't see why you would even need the insert if you are just mounting gas and Maxtrax on the rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior