1993 FZJ80 Bad Maw

AKayl

Observer
I figured I would start a build thread on here as I have joined the proud ranks of 80 series owners.

2013-10-05.jpg
This pic is from the ad over on mud I paid $6500 the seller was asking a very reasonable $7500 but I just did not have the cash I will always be grateful to him for working with me. It is a 1993with 165K on the clock and the factory F & R Lockers :cool:, OME 2.5" Medium Duty Lift, ARB Front Non-Winch Bumper, ARB Sliders, ARB Fender Guards, 2 x Full Size Spares on Factory Wheels, Shiny well kept maintenance records, and the majority of the stock parts.

2013-10-12.jpg

2013-10-12-2.jpg
One week later we spent the night in it taking it from the Oregon Coast to the Valley on logging roads.

2013-11-2.jpg
Before our next trip out I added a winch plate and winch to the ARB. The plate I fabbed up myself and the winch is a used XD9000 I picked up for $350 from a friend.

2013-11-2-2.jpg

2013-11-2-3.jpg

2013-11-23.jpg

Current Plans/In Progress

20131201_142158.jpg

20131201_142208.jpg
My storage system/sleeping platform, I would say it as about 1/3 of the way done. Alot of time goes into these I am starting to see why they cost so much from a vendor, however, I am still glad I am doing it myself

I have also gotten my Technician Licencse for HAM and am planning to add a Yaesu FT-857D soon.

Factory Snorkel in Hand waiting to install

Future Mods:

Heavy Duty OME 2.5" Springs (The winch sagged the front alot)
255/85r16 tires
4.88 Gears Edit 4.56 Gears
Fuel Storage
Dual Battery System
Water Storage Done!
Rear Bumper System With Swingouts

Last edited:
Very nice... Those miles are relatively low and getting the factory lockers is also a big plus.

Do you happen to have a GPS track or anything for that route you took from the coast? We get up there every year and I'm always looking for new ways to get to the coast from I-5, and dirt roads to drive.

AKayl

Observer
Very nice... Those miles are relatively low and getting the factory lockers is also a big plus.

Do you happen to have a GPS track or anything for that route you took from the coast? We get up there every year and I'm always looking for new ways to get to the coast from I-5, and dirt roads to drive.

Unfortunately no. At the time all we had was an outdated map. We have since gotten the Trimble app which is great save for Trimble being shysters when it comes to the hidden fees and whatnot.

Ranchero

Wanderer
Nice Akayl. I'm doing a build myself - very similar starting point. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Are you thinking second fuel tank or fuel canisters?

AKayl

Observer
I had planned on going with the larger Man-A-Fre main tank but it appears to be gone from their website. I think outback proven may have something similar but haven't looked into it yet.

AKayl

Observer
Time for an update, I guess.

I took a trip on the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route, and encountered a brake problem. The pedal would get soft on rough roads, and then firm up after use and stay firm on smooth roads.

Turned out to be one very bad driver side front wheel bearing

20140116_115015.jpg

20140116_115040.jpg

Ordered a bearing kit and used spindle from Cruiserparts bearing came in great but the spindle was worse than mine so I sent it back and am having a machine shop turn and HSN plate mine.

While the cruiser is down I got started on my snorkel install.

OEM_Snorkel_0021-1.jpg

20140113_194726.jpg

20140113_201832.jpg

I also grabbed a FlexTank from Man-a-fre on clearance and got that sucker installed.

20140118_182452.jpg

20140118_191844.jpg

The date tag on the tank was from 2008 so I guess we know why it was on clearance...

I am hoping to finish up the snorkel tonight and hopefully order gears in the next couple of weeks. I decided to go with 4.56's and want to do it while I have everything torn down.

ert01

Adventurer
Need more details on the Flex Tank... A quick browse on man a fre didn't help and google didn't provide much either.

I'm using my phone at work so maybe when I get home in front of a computer I'll be able to find something but it's always easier to just ask first :) Thanks!

AKayl

Observer
Nice looking rig. I'd like to see pics of the fabbed-up winch/mount.

Cheers

I do not have any more pics. But it is just a piece of 1/4" Plate welded between the frame pockets on the bumper, with holes drilled appropriately and cutouts for the fairlead and top of winch on the bumper.

Need more details on the Flex Tank... A quick browse on man a fre didn't help and google didn't provide much either.

I'm using my phone at work so maybe when I get home in front of a computer I'll be able to find something but it's always easier to just ask first :) Thanks!

Can be ordered direct from Australia, not sure if there are any US distributors.

AKayl

Observer
Got the snorkel finished up last night, hope to start cutting out the wings for the sleeping platform tonight!

20140120_191910.jpg

AKayl

Observer
An update on the spindle I went and saw my friend and got some pics of it now that it has been turned.

20140122_121402.jpg

At this point the outer bearing surface is 2 thousandth under and the inner is 3 thousandths under. Next it will be High Speed Nickel plated to just over size and than turned down in a lathe and surfaced with emory cloth.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
An update on the spindle I went and saw my friend and got some pics of it now that it has been turned.

View attachment 207433

At this point the outer bearing surface is 2 thousandth under and the inner is 3 thousandths under. Next it will be High Speed Nickel plated to just over size and than turned down in a lathe and surfaced with emory cloth.

Nice work on restoring the damage area. Also helps to have friend with the knowledge and tools to help out.!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Nice work on the spindle, I'm curious to hear how the finished product looks. Assuming yours is a bronze bushed ID rather than the later (replacement) bearing. Can they nickle coat just the bearing surfaces, i.e. avoiding the spindle nut threads, etc?

AKayl

Observer
Nice work on the spindle, I'm curious to hear how the finished product looks. Assuming yours is a bronze bushed ID rather than the later (replacement) bearing. Can they nickle coat just the bearing surfaces, i.e. avoiding the spindle nut threads, etc?

Yes, that is all they plated, the machine they have is for doing motor shafts so it spins the part at a specific RPM based on diameter and the plating is applied (not sure exactly how)

Before plating they also remove impurities in the metal by reversing the polarity on the plater and sucking them out, again not sure exactly how this works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz