2007 LX 470....pros/cons

Deatramus

Hello!
Been lurkin for a while and planninig an expedition vehicle as well....got some good feedback some months ago from a bunch of great folks here and now I am seriously close to pulling the trigger on an LX470.....

Couple questions/concerns: Pros/cons of this model year...2007...as apposed to earlier trucks with different 4x4 equiptment, computer stuff etc?
Also, the age old concern about the AHC as I plan to modify (to a point) and I know weight is an issue....and its such a great option to have.

We will be touring , on and off road, both North and South America...need to be comfortable (I'm 64), safe, well equipt and be in as dependable vehicle as possible...no rock crawling (unless to get to something really nice!)...but we are adventurers at heart and don't mind getting a bit rowdy/dirty etc....part of the fun!

Love the Lexus...the quality/comfort etc....this one's a gem, very low mileage-one owner, and it is priced well and the dealer will certify it(although we may negate that with modifications?)

So 2007... any thoughts....pros/cons? (any diff locks on this last model year for the 100s?)

And the AHC....If we are careful with added weight can we keep this? (mileage so low on this truck it's almost sinful and it was garaged for almost six months out of the year....I doubt the AHC was used much....these folks were snow birds)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions....have explored the "mud" site and although valuable, found it to be a bit of a challenge as I am no mechanic and those guys are hard core and sometimes not easily understood (by a retired woodsmith anyway)....nicer folks over this way I'm thinkin....

Ciao,
Deatramus

TeCKis300

Observer
Ciao,

The LX470 will make a great reliable long distance traveling companion. It's a bit of a gas hog, but that comes with the territory given it's size.

The '07 were the best of the bunch of the Hundy generation. The fact that it's the newest, low mileage, and last of the model year, will make it the most reliable irrelevant of what anecdotal posts may say.

AHC works with aplomb. Granted, it's more complex, but it's a Toyota after all and it's inherently reliable. Aussies have put these things through tens of thousands of miles over corrugated dirt road and they will handle better than any after market system available. I don't know how much weight you do intent to carry and these rigs have pretty large capacities stock. But that is a concern if you are loading it up really heavy with armor, gear, racks. That can be relatively easily addressed with a quick re-baseline of the front torsion bars, and some coil spacers in the rear for mildly more weight. Or air bags for a lot more weight. You won't have to do much of any upgrading other than to handle weight, as you can already have huge clearance with lift on demand.

The 07's (and '06) have the strongest motors with VVTi. I have an '06 myself and have really enjoyed it.

Good luck!

GX470_Prado

Observer
I recently picked up an '07 GX470... (I am new to all this stuff so I know nothing as far as its "Overlanding" ability yet) But I must say the truck is NICE. The ride quality is good and if you remind yourself you are driving something with a solid rear axle you realize it is really very good. The inside is very well built (LEXUS after all) and very comfortable. The only thing I have found that I don't like about the truck is the GX470 does NOT have a center console (not sure about the LX), and I am big guy (overweight and large framed too) so the "Captain's Chair" style armrest just does not fit me. The GX comes with air suspension which has proved useful when attaching heavy trailers or loading up the rear with gear the truck self "levels" the rear back to proper height so no going down the road with your front end pointed to the moon. The first time I disconnected a trailer and the truck re-adjusted (for the lack of weight) it was pretty neat... But I realized it could have been a problem so I made mental note to TURN OFF the RIDE HEIGHT before attaching or detaching trailers (it will turn back on by itself once you hit a specific speed).

I wish you luck in finding a good Rig...

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I think you made a great choice, but I might be a little biased... :sombrero:

there are a few tricks you can do with AHC to handle more weight as mentioned above. Worst case you can swap out the AHC for standard or aftermarket Land Cruiser 100-serious suspension components. Many people have done this.

I recommend you click here for the 100-Series Land Cruiser forum on ih8mud.com. Use the search function with the term AHC and you will find numerous threads on the topic. HTH.

fireball

Explorer
As said earlier, the 06-07 are the best of the bunch!

Unless you're going to seriously load it down, you should be just fine with the AHC. If you definitely plan on a rear bumper/tire carrier/ladder, plus cargo/drawer system, fridge and a few hundred pounds of tools/spares/recovery gear than the AHC may not be the ticket.

The 07 will have VSC and A-trac. No diff locks. Plenty of arguments about atrac vs. lockers but from your intended usage you should be more than happy with Atrac.

Good luck!

mph

Expedition Leader
If you are able to afford an 08, I would spend the extra to get the bigger motor...But, the 07 will be sweet...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Was there a wheel option larger than 18" on the later lx470s...?
I didn't think they came bigger but that might prove problematic as far as fitting at/mt tires

Deatramus

Thanks for all the help....I have been over on Mud again reading pages and pages on the AHC and it seems I am leaning towards the opinions of the few rather than the many there.... that the AHC is a sound system that if understood and cared for, can be a plus....It will be a challenge as I do wish to outfit this vehicle for long range travel both on and off road and we will just have to see how it goes with the weight and such.

I will post some pics if I finally pull the trigger on this truck.....its a nice one...and post on the registry when appropriate.
Ciao!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste