My '86 4Runner - A work in progress

Isgro

Good morning folks, My name is Matt. I stumbled across this site while doing a google search for outfitting ideas for my 4runner and I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed. The amount of knowledge and ideas that I've come across here is awesome. It will surely be a great resource as a tweak and adapt my truck.

A bit of background on myself. I'm 25 years old and have been in and out of the off-roading community for the past 8 years or so. I'm also a big outdoor enthusiast (moutain biking, skiing, hiking, camping, kayaking, etc). I've had a wide array of vehicles that were in a wide array of states of modification (Mildly modified '00 Jeep TJ, heavily modified '94 Jeep XJ, slightly modified '89 Range Rover Classic, very slightly modified '05 VW Touareg). Throughout this time I have had the desire to have a capable 4x4 that I could use for camping and exploring without having to rely on having civilization close by. This brings us up to my current vehicle. It's a 1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5. I had known about this vehicle for the past 5 years or so and always admired it for its capability. When the opportunity to purchase it arose, I jumped on it. Its originally a Colorado truck and while it has 237,000 miles on the chasis, it has no frame issues whatsoever (rare for one of these trucks in New England). The body is solid, though it was dragged across some rocks by the PO, so it doesn't look too pretty. I'm going to clean up the surface rust, pull some lareger dents, etc come spring time. Here's a list of the specs...

- 5 speed manual
- Engine is a 22R short block, 22RE top end
- Marlin Crawler dual transfer case setup on Budbuilt cross member
- Lock Rite in rear axle, rear disc brake conversion
- Alcan rear springs, after market shackles and Rancho shocks
- 33x10.5x15 Swamper TSL radials
- 2" body lift, gas tank lifted
- Custom bumpers and rock sliders with winch receiver mounts front and rear
- 8000# Warn winch with winch rope, modular plugs front and rear
- PIAA driving lights front and rear
- Allpro Offroad t-case mounted e-brake
- Interior stripped and Herculined
- Yakima Load Warrior roof rack with center extension

I need to do some things to get her running right again. I just installed a new alternator and battery. The rear axles seals leak as do both of the pinions. I have a small coolant leak that I need to figure out and the grounds seem to need to be cleaned up as my winch plugs/switch are being difficult. Hopefully I can get this all resolved sooner than later. I need new synthetic winch rope as the stuff thats on the winch at the moment is worn a bit more than I am comfortable with (I had it snap on me last time I used).

I have a bunch of plans for this truck - I plan on cleaning it up a bit, cleaning up rust and painting as neccessary. I'm going to go through the mechanicals to be sure that the truck will be as reliable as I can make it. There are also a few specific projects that I have lined up for over the next 2 months - Half doors with soft uppers (similar to Jeep Wranglers) and a storage/sleeping platform build. Along those same lines I'll be working to come up with some sort of a privacy curtain/misquito net setup so I can have the windows open. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures as I go along and share them with you all. I'm also going to work on collecting the neccessary supplies (tools, jerry cans, spare parts, etc). Long term I'd like to get the truck up on 35" tires and swap in a solid front axle, though it might be more than I can afford for a while.

Anyway, I look forward to looking around here more and absorbing as much info as I can. I hope to be able to add some of my info as I go along. :cool:

Pics of the 4Runner...
DSC01331.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01358.jpg

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
85 up 22R motors are the same regardless of FI or not. The FI is the only difference. if it is not a Turbo. All 4Runners 85 up have FI.

If your have wheel seals leaking then you need wheel bearings as well. There are two seals. The outer is just to keep brake dust out of the bearing. The inner is to keep the gear oil in the housing and out of the bearing. If the gear oil gets in the sealed bearing it washes the grease out.

Many of the the computer data on the 86 is wrong. Autozone lists the wrong bearings for the 86. If they ask you if you need the inner or outer "Bearing" You will need to request 87 or 85.

Unless you plan to make it a rockcrawler keep the IFS and keep it mostly stock. Its a better set up for expedition type travel. Don't do much more then the ball joint spacers and possibly the heavier torsion bars to help the the extra weight from the winch. A second lower control arm brace is a must. Spare idler arm or upgrade it to a totally chaos arm. 33's are plenty for an expedition rig. Put the money into outfitting it for travel.

If you plan to regear then start looking for junkyard 94 an 95's with Auto and the 31 inch factory tire option. Factory fronts with 4.88's and its a bolt in. Pirate's FAQ has the listings for how to read the gear ratio off the factory plate on the fire wall. It will be a central disconnect axle and you can either swap the driver side tube off your existing or just run a vac line to keep it locked. I ran a line and it is my intent to make a manual switch to turn it on and off if I ever lock the front.

Looking forward to seeing what else you do with the rig.

Last edited:

Arivalsend

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum! You have a very good looking base there for your build. Those 1st gen runners are nothing short of burley. Any work been done on your engine. May be one thing you want to start on and work into the suspension/tires later. Go through that if it has not been done and you will get another 100k easy. Good luck and I will be keeping an eye on this one. :beer:

Asha'man

Observer
Nice truck, although I'm a little biased. ;) Please post details of your sleeping platform design and build, as I'm planning on doing one as well (hopefully this year). Maybe we can trade ideas and come up with some good stuff.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Nice! Welcome to the Expo mate, good to see another Gen1 Runner on the board. I know I love mine, and it looks as though you use yours as it was intended...

Cheers

Dave

Isgro

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

Grim, thanks for all of that info. Being in New England I don't really need a rock crawler type rig anyway, I just have a bias towards straight axles. It's not a cheap modification, so if it does happen, it'll be quite a ways down the road (it's last on the list). This truck in its current form is extremely capable, so I have no concerns with continuing to run the IFS and 33's.

Arivalsend said:
Welcome to the forum! You have a very good looking base there for your build. Those 1st gen runners are nothing short of burley. Any work been done on your engine. May be one thing you want to start on and work into the suspension/tires later. Go through that if it has not been done and you will get another 100k easy. Good luck and I will be keeping an eye on this one. :beer:

A suspension/tire upgrade is last on my things to do. There isn't anything done to the motor performance wise. I plan on completely going through the truck mechanically to be sure that everything is tip-top. I just repleced the alternator, plugs and wires. I was working on somethings last night and had a coolant hose let go on me, so that kind of stunk, but that's why I'm going through the truck, to find those issues.

Asha'man said:
Please post details of your sleeping platform design and build, as I'm planning on doing one as well (hopefully this year). Maybe we can trade ideas and come up with some good stuff.

I'll absolutely be sure to share as many pics and as much info as possible when I start the sleeping/storage platform. Mine will be a bit different than others for a few reasons. I plan on keeping my spare in the back of the truck for now. I don't want the added weight in the roof rack and I don't have the money to buy a rear tire carrier (or even the steel to make one myself). Also, due to the way my winch is setup on the reciever hitch, I keep it in the back of the truck and will have to make a winch specific cubby when I'm making the platform.

4Rescue said:
Nice! Welcome to the Expo mate, good to see another Gen1 Runner on the board. I know I love mine, and it looks as though you use yours as it was intended...
Grim Reaper said:
We are starting to get a whole fleet of 1st gen runners now LOL.

I've been a fan of 1st gen runners since I was a kid, so I'm quite happy to actually own one now. :)

Isgro

The PO mounted it directly through the hard top unfortunately. It doesnt leak, but I'm not a fan of having holes in the hard top. A bit too late to get worked up over at this point. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke