What just happened? Titan Shock oops

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
So, trying to R&R the front shaft on my Titan. Little bit of rust and some dirty words getting everything loose. Last to go was the shock so I can swing the shaft out. The bottom had a lot if pressure still and the bolt got all galled up pulling it out. The upper had some rust so I hit it with PB blaster and a breaker bar. I "thought" it broke loose and went to cranking away. Before long I hear a loud BaNG and get fluid on my face.

uzy5e7uh.jpg

4aby6yhy.jpg

So apparently the upper bolt is so rusted that instead of loosening, it tuners the INNER shock bolt and disassembled the shock.. Under a little pressure.

What did I do wrong? I've always pulled the center bolt from rigs in the past? Was I supposed to pull the spacer and all out instead of just the shock? WTH do I go from here????? This is my DD/work truck but its the off season. But I have no other form of transport unless the wife brings me her car and I know she has a Ton of meetings. Plus I have an interview this Friday!!

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Shock has a Rancho sticker on it and is also stamped NISSAN on the back. Best I can tell this is the stock shock and a spacer lift. It's a new truck so I'm figuring out what it has for sure as I go because ideas bought from a dealer not the owner

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Looks like a 2 1/8" spacer lift, so I'm assuming these are still stock shocks. At 90k miles and running 33 nittos I'm assuming they need to be replaced anyway, just wasn't ready to do so. What are my BEST options?

u2umyna9.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Sorry about the shock blow up. From what I've read the Titans came stock with Rancho shocks, looks to be an rs5000. The first shock I lost on my frontier was at 75k miles and it just broke off on its own (stock bilstien Nissan shock). Then I put some Ranchos 5000 on the frontier, I got about 100k miles on them and they just fell apart when I took them off.
I just hope you can find some good shocks locally so you don't have to go to the dealer's parts counter. I got my latest bilstiens from Johns 4x4 center in ColRADo.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
So, I went ahead and ordered the Bilstein 5100 0-2" adjustable shock. I've always read great things about bilstein and it will let me get rid of the spacer lift if I want to. Shipped overnight thru 4wheelparts was cheaper than waiting for Oreilys to get the stock Rancho in store by tomorrow.

d0va

Observer
Good option ... they ride amazing compared to stock.... I heard the ride is better if you put the spacer and leave the shocks at 0" instead of removing the spacer and adjusting the shocks to 2"..... and you would be at the same height...

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Interesting. Would be interested to hear a few other opinions on the best way to mount em up. Any idea why the ride would be better one way or the other? Shocks should be here in the next couple hours. Gonna be a late night cause I want it finished before it gets cold here tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online