Toyota Sunrader rebuild

climberchick

Observer
I must have custom wheels as I have 15 inch duallys on right now. Brand new tires when I bought it so I'll stay with them for now. Post a pic of your landcruiser rear axle - I understand not having to deal with buying 6 tires! I'm keeping an eye on your build. What insulation are you using on the cab over ?
Here is a link to my Sunrader flickr photo page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiwi_adventures/sets/72157638814822985/

Yes, and we are also nervous about custom wheels being stolen while on the road and not easily replaceable. I will post the axle when we get it... the one that arrived was bent (argh), but was under warranty and will be replaced. We are using a combination of 3/4-inch foamular sheathing and spray foam for the cabover area. Nice 'Rader! She looks in much better condition than ours was.

climberchick

Observer
Keep up the progress!

One question though, why not glass the "rafters" all the way across? It would make them way stiffer.

We tried that, but fiberglass doesn't like to bend that tightly and it ends up sagging on the bottom of the beam, eating up our headroom if even by only a half inch. So we sanded off that fiberglass support and decided to just fiberglass in the ends. We used resin to glue in the beams, plus two of them are screwed into the fiberglass next to the roof vent... they are pretty solid. We learn as we go! ;)

4x4kayaker

Observer
Keep up the great build! I'll be tackling my cab over next spring, to make it insulated and warmer for snowboarding, right now I'm using reflectix around the windows and under mattress, works well.

DAV!D

Adventurer
I just emailed the guy to see if I could get some more pictures of his interior. It looks really clean.

How's the rebuild coming?

For the last two months it's mostly been a game of tinker a bit a waiting. I actually just got my syncro into my dad's shop today. I started tearing into it today and have the motor/trans ready to come out tomorrow. It seems like it's taken forever, but it should start moving forward at a decent pace.:wings:

climberchick

Observer
Cabover update

Well, as many people know, fiberglass is annoying, itchy, and messy. But we're done with that part, finally. We glassed over both cabover window voids entirely, and now they just need to be finished and painted on the outside. We leveled the cabover bunk (it has a slight bow to it) using foam insulation. We bolted a plywood panel to the previously removable bed segment, which will allow us to create a security divider between cab and camper. We laid down paneling on which we will install laminate flooring to make it easy to clean the bed area. We also installed all the roof paneling over the insulation, and two small/silent fans in the roof vent to help with air circulation. To finish the cabover area, we still need to:

• Insulate and panel the sides and ceiling connection
  • Install laminate flooring
  • Install led strip lighting and wire in switches
  • Install storage compartment and charging dock in front
  • Paint/finish both exterior fiberglass work and interior paneling
  • Put the new bed back in there!

Progress!

cab1.jpgcabover paneled.jpgceiling.jpgfans.jpgfiberglass.jpginsulation.jpg

4x4kayaker

Observer
I'm about to fix my 87 4x4 22re turbo sagging sunrader roof. I see your supports. what was your process, glass the corners in first, and let them cure, then remove the vertical supports and glass/cloth over the entire cross beam supports? What panels are you putting up? ply? frp?

95 Tacoma 4x4 daily driver
87 Sunrader 4x4 weekend warrior

Last edited:

climberchick

Observer
More progress!

OK, so...

We finished the cabover fiberglass, sanded it down, filled the rough spots with bondo, sanded that down, then primer and paint! Woohoo! We also installed the security divider between the cab and camper using a window from the ReStore, removing the glass panes and replacing them with 3/4-inch ply. We framed it into the camper and secured it. It will lock and will allow us to secure the camper when the RV is parked or in shipment. We also finished the cabover floor, and the side panels are ready to install. Still need to paint and trim the cabover area and install the charging dock and lighting, but serious progress has been made and we're psyched. Photos!

Cabover bondo.
KRN_0028.jpg
Cabover painted!
KRN_0034.jpg
The exterior for now:
KRN_0042.jpg
Slider:
KRN_0030.jpg
KRN_0036.jpg
KRN_0039.jpg
Cabover bed area:
KRN_0037.jpg
Panels ready to install:
KRN_0032.jpg

climberchick

Observer
I'm about to fix my 87 4x4 22re turbo sagging sunrader roof. I see your supports. what was your process, glass the corners in first, and let them cure, then remove the vertical supports and glass/cloth over the entire cross beam supports? What panels are you putting up? ply? frp?

95 Tacoma 4x4 daily driver
87 Sunrader 4x4 weekend warrior

We actually glued up the supports first, using braces to keep the shape we wanted for the fiberglass roof. We glassed in the corners at the same time. We tried to glass the entire support across, but that didn't work out because of the nature of fiberglass. We did screw in a couple of the supports to the ceiling around the roof vent as well. We are using lacquered/painted hardwood ply for the paneling because we don't like the industrial look of the frp. Good luck on your cabover!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier