Lithium Jump Packs

RangerXLT

Adventurer
This makes me want to return my $80 jump pack to autozone and pay the difference for this! So small too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I just received mine from the UPS guy today.. It's charging on my desk.

I'm going to anticipate taking this on Moto Trips as well as trips in the FJ.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
To put it to the test, I decided to use the larger motor (a 5.7L, 400 HP Hemi) of our two vehicles, and since the Power Wagon was parked outside, the engine is cold too boot. The main battery and house battery are completely disconnected, all that's hooked up is the wee little lithium Micro Start.
Awesome! Thanks for the video!

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Just placed mine in my wish list on amazon. Hopefully next paycheck. Saving for a house definitely takes priority right now.

blvdking

Observer
I love the idea of this and am really close to pulling the trigger. I am just waiting for one of you electric gurus to perform some tests to make sure it's worth it.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I started an dead LS430 with the Antigravity XP-1 last week. Turn over instantly, and while I know it was no great feat to crank over that 4.3 liter, it was extremely cool to pull out the little brick and tiny cables and solve the problem instantly.

A pretty nice addition to the tool chest.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Long post alert

Ok so I have to make this post because by the sound of it, this may save others some failed experiments.

For a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) jump pack one would need a pack of 4 cells in series. These batteries are 4.20 to 4.25V hot off of the charger, 3.2V per cell is flat and discharge must stop at this point or damage in the form of LOTS of heat will happen. This means 16.8V hot off the charger full charge. 12.8V empty. The nominal voltage is the median - this is the 14.4V or 14.8V rating you see.

Discharging a battery at more than its C rating will result in bad things, maybe even very bad things like a fire.

Earlier in the thread some one mentioned a booster pack being made of laptop lithium ion cells LiIo. This is really not possible. Here is why. Batteries are rated with a C number for discharge and one for charging. The C number works like this - 1C is a discharge of one times the batteries Amp Hour capacity. 65C would be 65 times the batteries capacity. A lap top style cylindrical lithium ion battery normally only has a 2C rate. They are at best 3.0AH (amp hours). So 2 x 3 = 6A. There capacity is very high for there weight because they are optimized for capacity not discharge.

Lithium polymer batteries LiPo on the other hand can be built with very low internal resistance and very high C rates. Mega Discharge!
Lithium polymer and Lithium nano polymer are rated like this a number - another number C
The first number is the maximum safe continuous discharge the second number is the maximum safe 30 second burst.
Example with link to actual battery below
65-130C 4cell with an amp hour capacity of 2600mah or 2.6Ah

So this battery can continuously pump out 2.6 x 65 = 169Amps
For 30 seconds it can pump out 130 x 2.6 = 338 Amps

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...h_A_SPEC_G2_2600mah_4S_65_130C_Lipo_Pack.html

Here is another one a real beast 5000mah or 5Ah capacity 65-130C discharge. 15C charge rating
5*65=325A discharge continuous
5*130= 650A discharge for short burst
5*15=75A charge rating

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...h_A_SPEC_G2_5000mah_4S_65_130C_Lipo_Pack.html

I have a 4S or 4 series i.e. 14.8V nominal 2.65Ah battery with a 50C discharge rating. It was 16 dollars and is no bigger than a cell phone. I use it to power an LED light for mountain biking. It is a B spec LiPo pack so no burst rating.

2.65*50 = 132.5A - this is low but enough to turn over my 2.4L inline 4 toyota 2AZ-FE engine.

Even cooler many of these low internal resistance batteries get even more than there rated capacity at a discharge rate off less then there C rating.

The batteries I linked have balance taps for sophisticated chargers. Many of these chargers are DC-DC and require a power supply for wall charging.

I have one that was about 60 bucks and can due 10 amps and up to 6cells in series. It does all battery chemistry and has even has a connector for a temperature probe.

This one is a monster and has Ac/ DC input and a very good value :
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...90W_Eco_Touch_Balance_Charger_Discharger.html

dustboy

Explorer
Well, now here's one the size of your smartphone for $69.
junopower jumpr

Now I know for sure that we live in the future.

JUMPR-Car_large.jpg

SteveG

Adventurer
I just bought one of these and love it. It easily starts gas engines (even with no battery installed)... highly recommended.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
What are you doing to need it so often? I hardly ever have to jump my vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles