Lithium Jump Packs

waterboy222

Adventurer
In my quest for vehicle self-reliance, one of my biggest fears is being far away from civilization and leaving the dome light on. A simple but potentially costly mistake. Eventually I will go to a dual battery setup with the ability to jump-start via switch but for now I'd like to carry a separate power supply / jumper pack.

Ive had horrible luck with them in the marine world. I've carried one on my boat for years and its always either dead or doesn't have enough power to jumpstart my big blocks. But now that the lithium battery packs are becoming more popular (and affordable), I'm considering one to add to the jeep.

The options I'm looking at:

Stanley LI1000
41hAAg6bzvL._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Ll1000-Li-Ion-Battery-Starter/dp/B005IU28AW
$101 from Amazon.com

AntiGravity Micro-start PPS XP-1
41f7QEWJzkL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/AntiGravity-Micro-Start-XP-1-Multi-Function-Personal/dp/B00FDYYK4A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1386122972&sr=1-1&keywords=antigravity+micro-start+pps+xp-3
$149 from Amazon.com

PowerGO System
61oLl9HhU2L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGo-Unbelievably-Portable-Battery-Includes/dp/B00E0UNF4E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2
$97 from Amazon.com

Anyone have any thoughts on these? It would sure be nice to have a backup battery that would fire up the jeep if I do something dumb when I'm out on the road. The video reviews of the AntiGravity system make it out to be the best of the three. I've seen them take the battery out of a vehicle and use just the jumpstarter to start it, which was impressive. And people claiming they've jumped vehicles numerous times without needing to recharge the system.

Thoughts?

java

Expedition Leader
Dont see much spec on the output for jump starting. I can see the powergo says 2A, not much IMO for jumping. couldn't find the anti gravity spec, but reviews say it can jump a large diesel. Stanley also doesnt give an output spec.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Finally found this thread again. Guess it did not have the search words I had been trying?

The Antigravity XP-1 really looks like an awesome little pack. Small enough to stow under the back seat, or in a glove box. Reports say it will stay charged for up to a year.

I picked up one of the Antigravity Batteries MICRO-START/PPS XP-1 onAmazon for $144 shipped.
I will say that the video did help sell it:
I had seen this thread and another on the lithium battery booster packs, but lost track of them. The whole idea stuck with me and when a little mad money showed up, I bit the bullet. I had been wanting to experiment with a pack like this and see if the solar panels work well in conjunction. At the very least this will be much more convenient to carry as a back up plan. It also gives be the ability to carry it along on the motorcycles too. I like that idea :)
The "kit" really looks great. It will adapt to virtually anything. The size is fantastic. It fits right into the pocket on the solar panel bag :) I will play with it a while and see how it pans out for me. Thus far (rose color glasses on) I like it!

Vermonster

Observer
I am pretty sure that unlike the other Anitgravity lithium batteries that use A123 LiFePO4 cells, the XP-1/3 are lithium polymer batteries. Given the need to be a little careful with charging this type of battery, and the fact that these models seem to come with an AC wall wart and cigarette lighter adapter charge cable, I beleive that there is a charge controller on board. I have seen a picture of the XP-3 and the charge input port is marked 12 volts 1 amp. I haven't seen the XP-1 but would guess it is the same. I'm sure the manufacturer could provide guidance--especially on what DC input voltage is acceptable for charging.

I'd really love to built a custom pack off something like their SC-1 that has a bit more capacity and uses US-manufactured cells. But right now that is a little outside the budget.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Amazing. I was just thinking of future replacement for my two jump packs. This helps.

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Wow. They are "on it".
Reply: "info@antigravitybatteries.com
10:51 AM - As long as you charge it through the provided plug in chargers it should work fine."

XpoNoobie

Observer
How long before we would have to replace the xp-1? What kind of life expectancy could we expect if you say use it once a month for a v6? How long can it stay charged up for, without having to discharge it for proper recharging?

Vermonster

Observer
How long before we would have to replace the xp-1? What kind of life expectancy could we expect if you say use it once a month for a v6? How long can it stay charged up for, without having to discharge it for proper recharging?

Complicated question that will depend on storage temperature, state of charge (% charged), protection circuit draw, etc. Number of charge cycles will, in large part, depend on the quality of the cells, depth of discharge, storage conditions, etc..

Store in cool conditions and don't discharge to 100% -- you should get at least a thousand cycles before substantial capacity drop. Leave the battery in a 140F truck for a few weeks and it's a different picture.

Self discharge should be a few percent a month at a reasonable temperature.

I see the largest problem as storage temperature. Too cold and not enough juice to jump start a vehicle. Too hot and you destroy the battery.

This, of course, is all dependent on the quality of the cells used. Lots of variability in cell quality right now, especially in Asia.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Tried starting a friend Mustang today. Cranked it over a few times, and then quit. No start. :( Showed one light after that try. I will charge it back up and do more testing. Cloudy day, so no solar charge testing today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles