Need help venting a truck cap

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
The other crazy thought is that the air under the vehicle would be much cooler. Perhaps I could recirculate through the floor? This would likely require cutting into the bed.

Good idea. I've slept on the ground under my truck many a time in the Army to get in the shade.

trailscape

Explorer
Good idea. I've slept on the ground under my truck many a time in the Army to get in the shade.

Been there, done that. :D

Still thinking this idea might work best. I wouldn't have to be as concerned about weather and I could use some ducting and install a fan however I like.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My F350 work truck with utility bed in Florida didn't get really hot at all. Paint just the roof white. Add some venturi vents to the sides with cover plates. And remember, if you use a fan or vent to let air in.........then you need a fan or vent 1.5-2x bigger to let air out. Or you get poor air flow.
-
The solution: Don't go into a hot bed. I used a marine docking bar hook thing to retrieve 5g oil buckets in my bed without climbing in. Never had much use for a camper down there either. Tent was allways better for my travels.
-
But I'd screen in the side doors and just open them like you said. With slight modifications, they might be ok open with light rain.

otis24

Observer
I've been thinking of the solar powered vent for my camper shell on my tacoma. When the weather is nice I can just open the side windows. They have screens so the bugs are no problem. In the winter I still need to open the side window due to condensation. However, I still get condensation. I think a fan will help a bunch and the solar powered fans don't require any additional wiring. It's also a bonus that some of them have a built in light.

trailscape

Explorer
Here's what I'm attempting to work with presently: Atwood 3" Blower, 3" flex hose, 3" air duct mount.

It has decent airflow but not the most quiet at full speed. I had initially tested it using a battery in need of charge and it was whisper quiet, so I think a speed controller would be ideal.. I need to do more testing before I decide to cut a hole in the bed but removing one of the drain plugs seems a good start. I also made a seal out of vinyl and foam and placed it between the upper gap of the topper and cab window so I can leave it open for airflow. It's kept the rain out so far.

61F5ybX1GIL._SL1500_.jpg71brm4nNAVL._SL1500_.jpg41RVePA6QrL.jpg

I'm unsure if this plan might work best as an intake or exhaust now. Any ideas if one these plumbing vents would work well as a rooftop exhaust? I would probably just mount the entire assembly to the inside ceiling of the topper to vent the hot air buildup.

312THR2W5GL.jpg

92dlx

I vented my roof like so...link. Very inexpensive, easy to install, waterproof, and effective.

Different vent options available here...link.

I have a similar canopy to the one in the OP. I used the horse trailer vents called "steel two way vents"; the same as were used in the post I've quoted above.

I put one near the front of the canopy and one near the back (both on the roof) and the open the front vent forwards and the rear backwards to allow air through the canopy while moving. I don't live in a hot climate and now have a RTT but I'd originally planned on putting 12v computer style fans in the vents - one sucking air in and the other blowing it out. Rigid foam insulation glued inside of the canopy was also something I considered but never got to.

The best part about the horse vents is that people don't know what they are and more than one have assumed that they were related to some hi-tech wireless system or advanced GPS etc.

Edit: I am still able to store ladders etc. on the roof without worrying about the vents. They are fairly low profile and plenty strong.

trailscape

Explorer
I installed my new assembly this week and tried it out yesterday when the inside vehicle temp showed 112°F while sitting in direct sunlight. The plumbing vent is mostly centered on the topper roof with the exhaust fan assembly bolted directly to the ceiling inside. My basic test showed the temp dropping to 90°F in 30 minutes. A little slower than I'd like, but my ideal setup would have a thermostatic switch kick on at around 95-100°F. I cut the hole for the plumbing vent in the middle of a 14x14 location I measured should I decide to do the RV roof vent instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior