Land Rover LR3: A Cautionary Tale

SwampfoxSC

Observer
Plus name any vehicle you can drive from 100k to 200k without putting anything into it?

Since you asked. My 02 F250 Lariat 7.3 CC LB 4X4 with all the bells and whistles hit 220k before I had to put front hubs on it, a radiator and calipers. Up till then it was all oil changes and a set of brake pads. Between 2 Toyota trucks I put 320,000 miles on em with just oil and brakes. I did spend about $600(90k) on my v6 for Tbelt and other PM stuff.

I too have this fascination with LRs. But stories like this has always kept me from buying one. That D90 makes me start to chub up every time I see one. But for the entry price I can get 3 JKU Rubicons. I have thought about taking a D1 and doing a diesel swap. They have got to be the fastest depreciating vehicle ever produced. I think people start to part em out when the 90k service comes up. But man a kitted/armored white D1 just looks so bad *** to me. Maybe it was seeing those Camel Trophy events on TV when I was a kid.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The comparison to a Toyota or Ford is really not fair, it should be compared to similar European luxury cars like Mercedes or Audi. In reality, Land Rover is in a pretty good position with regards to maintenance costs compared to others in its class (You would not want to own even an Audi A4 or a VW Passat and incur the maintenance costs from 100-200k)

A.J.M

Explorer
I'm still curious how he got raped for $1700 for front lower arms and joints...

Prices for over here are.
Allmakes, £115 + vat at 20%
Genuines £200 inc vat.

Track rod ends.
Genuines £45 a side.
Aftermarket £35 a side.

So, £490 for genuines, £25 for new bolts and fixings at worst case. Wheel alignment £80-£120. Time to swap, 3 hours and an hour for the alignment max. 4 hours, main dealer rates here are £115 an hour, Indy are £45-70 and my mobile indy did mine for £20 an hour. ( Yes, £20 an hour for an indy!! )

So, parts £425. Before haggling, i can usually haggle 10-20% off my bills.
Labour for main dealer = 460. So £975. Labour for indy at £55 an hour = £220 plus £80 for alignment so £725. My own mobile indy did it all in 3 hours and a alignment was £80. So for me £630.

Exchange rate is £1 = $1.64 as i type this.

So main dealer would be $1,599 before you haggle on stuff. Indy would be $1,189 and my mobile indy was $1,033.20

I would be finding a good indy, and also getting parts either from a main dealer where you can strike up a haggling with, or from one of the suppliers in your area. There are a few on this forum who can supply you the parts at a good cost.

upperporcupine

ColoRover
I'm still curious how he got raped for $1700 for front lower arms and joints...

Prices for over here are.
Allmakes, £115 + vat at 20%
Genuines £200 inc vat.

Track rod ends.
Genuines £45 a side.
Aftermarket £35 a side.

So, £490 for genuines, £25 for new bolts and fixings at worst case. Wheel alignment £80-£120. Time to swap, 3 hours and an hour for the alignment max. 4 hours, main dealer rates here are £115 an hour, Indy are £45-70 and my mobile indy did mine for £20 an hour. ( Yes, £20 an hour for an indy!! )

So, parts £425. Before haggling, i can usually haggle 10-20% off my bills.
Labour for main dealer = 460. So £975. Labour for indy at £55 an hour = £220 plus £80 for alignment so £725. My own mobile indy did it all in 3 hours and a alignment was £80. So for me £630.

Exchange rate is £1 = $1.64 as i type this.

So main dealer would be $1,599 before you haggle on stuff. Indy would be $1,189 and my mobile indy was $1,033.20

I would be finding a good indy, and also getting parts either from a main dealer where you can strike up a haggling with, or from one of the suppliers in your area. There are a few on this forum who can supply you the parts at a good cost.

The quote I got on that job was similar at two independent well-regarded Rover shops. That being said, the job may have included some extras that I didn't realize (like wheel bearings). I am going to review my shop bill tonight and I will let you know.

Again, I really appreciate all the wisdom that has been shared thus far...even if some stung a bit. :sombrero:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
The comparison to a Toyota or Ford is really not fair, it should be compared to similar European luxury cars like Mercedes or Audi. In reality, Land Rover is in a pretty good position with regards to maintenance costs compared to others in its class (You would not want to own even an Audi A4 or a VW Passat and incur the maintenance costs from 100-200k)

I would add SAAB to that list as well based on personal experience.

upperporcupine

ColoRover
Wheel bearings are definitely next. Make sure you change all the oils (transfer box, both diffs) as well or you could really be stuck with a bill... (Front and rear diffs would bring your total repair costs probably close to what you paid for the whole truck)

Hey Adam, the front and rear diff oils were changed as part of the 70k service that I had done. I am waiting on the gearbox until spring time. What should I expect on parts and labor for wheel bearings? Is this a job I could do myself? I have no tools and no experience.

Jamie

A.J.M

Explorer
Parts for genuines are £100 a side.

It's simple to change. I would find online if you have a land rover club in your area. Go to a few meets etc and build up a few friendships. Doing that has saved me thousands with my car. One of the club members will happily help you change them over for a few beers.

Have you checked your bill to see what got done?

KyleT

Explorer
Remember we pay an arm and a leg for shipping from the uk to here on top of the exchange difference...

upperporcupine

ColoRover
Parts for genuines are £100 a side.

It's simple to change. I would find online if you have a land rover club in your area. Go to a few meets etc and build up a few friendships. Doing that has saved me thousands with my car. One of the club members will happily help you change them over for a few beers.

Have you checked your bill to see what got done?

The bearings definitely weren't in the job. I sent you a pm with more specifics.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
If you did not want to tackle the brakes on your own, I would not recommend doing the wheel bearings. You will need air tools including an impact wrench to get the axle nut off. It is not a difficult job at all if you are willing to buy a few tools and learn, though. It just depends on your inclination (to learn, or to pay)

chirigringo

Adventurer
For those that have never owned an LR3, let me tell you, this is a much, MUCH different animal from its predecessors. Diagnosing and repairing an issue is not the straight forward process it once was. The learning and expense curves are much steeper than they were with the Disco or TLC of the past.
Also, learning to turn a wrench is one thing. Learning to diagnose the issues is a completely different matter. The first you can do by finding good how-to information online. The second will take more effort and patience.
For many of us here, working on our trucks is a hobby and can be the goal unto itself. Learning about, fixing, and modifying your own vehicle can be as rewarding as getting out on the trail. Saving money is secondary. For others, though, the time involved is more of an issue. Time from family, work, or from using the vehicle for its intended purpose can outweigh personal gratification or the desire to save a buck. We've all had to learn what the proper balance is to suit our lifestyles.
-Michael

tommyd

Observer
For others, though, the time involved is more of an issue. Time from family, work, or from using the vehicle for its intended purpose can outweigh personal gratification or the desire to save a buck. We've all had to learn what the proper balance is to suit our lifestyles.
-Michael

This!

upperporcupine

ColoRover
Well said!

For those that have never owned an LR3, let me tell you, this is a much, MUCH different animal from its predecessors. Diagnosing and repairing an issue is not the straight forward process it once was. The learning and expense curves are much steeper than they were with the Disco or TLC of the past.
Also, learning to turn a wrench is one thing. Learning to diagnose the issues is a completely different matter. The first you can do by finding good how-to information online. The second will take more effort and patience.
For many of us here, working on our trucks is a hobby and can be the goal unto itself. Learning about, fixing, and modifying your own vehicle can be as rewarding as getting out on the trail. Saving money is secondary. For others, though, the time involved is more of an issue. Time from family, work, or from using the vehicle for its intended purpose can outweigh personal gratification or the desire to save a buck. We've all had to learn what the proper balance is to suit our lifestyles.
-Michael

Thanks for the thoughtful insight. There are definitely many philosophical considerations involved with this. I agree with ^, 'well said.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier