97 E350 Winne 4x4- Ski Bum Mobile

java

Expedition Leader
FOR SALE: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/168346-1997-E350-4x4-Winniebago

So I have been looking for a 4x4 RV to replace my RV trailer I currently have. Its awesome for ski bumming in the PNW but my truck hates to tow it. Wife also wants to be able to move around on longer drives.

After watching CL for awhile this RV popped up. The funny part is that it is the old King County SAR base rig. My wife and I volunteered for them when we were younger and I have actually slept in it before!

So on to the details.
97 E350 chassis Salem Kroger 4x4 conversion with leaf springs. Triton v10 gas, with 25k miles. Winnebago box, the box measures 17', is set up like an office currently. Built in Onan 7kw genset, AC, heat, full bath. Has lots of old lights, that i will either pull or find clear covers for. They pulled the red covers when it went to auction. It also has hydraulic levelers, which i must say are awesome after coming from the trailer! Has awnings both sides, with aluminum for the first foot, so when they retract they have an aluminum 'shell' to keep branches off them.

The bad: water damage! The molding on the drivers side rear corner is toast, meaning the ply behind the fiberglass is completely rotten. Its loose all the way to the window on the drivers side, and some around the back too. A hole punched in the roof at the cabover. Also some water, but not as bad as the back. Now its aluminum framed, so its just a matter of replacing the rotten stuff and re-sealing.

The plan is to fix all the damage, remodel the interior a bit to add a couple bed and drive it! There are lots of little bug to be worked out everywhere...Windows roll down but don't want to go up, lots of lights out, and im sure ill find tons more, but its a project. I have a big trip planned in less than a month so im hoping to at least have it sealed up by then....

Ive been wanting to take a trip up to the arctic circle and this seems like a dream rig (other than gas mileage!). Possibly a wrap of some wort on the outside.

Went for a test drive last night, and left a deposit! Going to pick it up tomorrow! Now if only I had a shop to work on it in.... Im sure my neighbors will love me. Gotta sell the trailer.

00707_djHLUBNE285_600x450.jpg
00B0B_2yBzbVJe4EO_600x450.jpg
00404_swbVcK4uOr_600x450.jpg
00A0A_2J0c9MwAWVM_600x450.jpg
00n0n_cBStNcVE5Hx_600x450.jpg

Latest:
i1r5.jpg

Last edited:

jjohnny350

Adventurer
Sweet rig man, Looks like its got a lot of potential. Great size, interior has a lot of options, what a great starting point. Nice find dude, congratulations.

java

Expedition Leader
Sweet rig man, Looks like its got a lot of potential. Great size, interior has a lot of options, what a great starting point. Nice find dude, congratulations.

Thanks! I cant wait to get it home, fixing all the delamination along the back and side is going to be a PITA but it should be a fun project.

bdog1

Adventurer
That thing is killer! Might even fly with the awnings out! Seems like a great starting set-up. Everyone seems to like their v10's, just look away at the pump I guess. 7k is a ton of power too, you can power the whole block in a outage. That ought to help with the neighbors I bet.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

java

Expedition Leader
That thing is killer! Might even fly with the awnings out! Seems like a great starting set-up. Everyone seems to like their v10's, just look away at the pump I guess. 7k is a ton of power too, you can power the whole block in a outage. That ought to help with the neighbors I bet.

Yeah as the base rig it was full of computers and radio chargers. there is literally 20+ 120 outlets in the back. I cant wait to get it!!

bdog1

Adventurer
Yea... I like to wrench as much as the next guy, but I think a little water leak RV repair is better than swapping front ends and adding a T-case any day.

I was sitting in a campground last month, studying a 45' mega bus next site over, admiring some water leak repairs on the back cap. They had what looked like a matching tan "duct tape" wrapped around the seam! Quality repairs I'm sure.

java

Expedition Leader
Yea... I like to wrench as much as the next guy, but I think a little water leak RV repair is better than swapping front ends and adding a T-case any day.

I was sitting in a campground last month, studying a 45' mega bus next site over, admiring some water leak repairs on the back cap. They had what looked like a matching tan "duct tape" wrapped around the seam! Quality repairs I'm sure.

Yeah wont go quite that ghetto... But its more a matter if that whole sidewall has to come off or not. We will see!

I do have some roof repair tape though :) However its not duct tape and seems to be well regarded in the RV world.

bdog1

Adventurer
Lots of hi-tec tape out there. I was reading they use it to attach aluminum skin on semi trailers now!

java

Expedition Leader
Made it home! It was a beast on the ferry!

Did a bit of cleaning last night, but really its in good shape on the inside.
The shower has literally never been used. Still has the Winnebago sticker on the floor. It was used for large item storage however, so its looks like someone got in a fight with themselves and a Sharpie in the shower.... But that's what we will use it for too. Great for wet skis and boots.

House batteries are toast. The paint pen on the battery compartment shows they are 10 years old.... They will be replaced ASAP, and im hoping that them getting down to 10 volts is why the heater started blowing cold last night.... We will see. Getting the batteries in and out is going to be a chore though. Not much room and a LOT of connections.

Electrical: Its a mix of nicely done and holy S. Under the dash there are a ton of wore taps, relays zip tied here and there and lots of random loose wires, most have numbered labels on them though. The RV section has a metric ton of 120 outlets. a huge inverter and a nice house panel. Everything is on solenoids to be disconnected and jumped.

There is a couple more spots of delamination I found. But im hoping to get into the worst spot soon.

Every seam on the box will be covered with Eternabond. It has good reviews in the RV world and seems like a good solution to not removing every piece of trim on the RV and resealing them hoping it will last.... Wont be the prettiest thing though.

House panel and inverter. Lots of room for solar chargers in the future!

864x4rv

Observer
Java, great find! I have a 1995 scotty 4x4 with the cummins and there is some delamination in the rear that I will need to address. Love the rig. Bought in Washington state and drove it to san diego- averaged 16 mpg. Good luck with the remodel.

java

Expedition Leader
Java, great find! I have a 1995 scotty 4x4 with the cummins and there is some delamination in the rear that I will need to address. Love the rig. Bought in Washington state and drove it to san diego- averaged 16 mpg. Good luck with the remodel.

Awesome! If it wasn't 20 some degrees, id try to fix it.... Im going to try to pour in epoxy from the top. We will see how it goes.

java

Expedition Leader
picked up a gallon of low viscosity epoxy to try to rebond the wall.

battery compartment i get to work in tomorrow.....

dinette

inverter charger panel

the list is getting long! (on the awesome white board!)

java

Expedition Leader
Got a lot done today.
Replaced 3 batteries. Epoxied the wall. Built a bed, re did the cab over bed. And built a fridge slide.

Ghetto wall press thingamajig....

Building beds

Fridge slide. The stock fridge is tiny!

Decorating her bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke