2009-2013 Suburban Mods????

sargeek

Adventurer
It seems that my family is out growing my 2006 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport (6'bed) - Family of 6 (wife, 5 year old, 10 year old, 2 newfoundland's). Vehicle will be used as a all around DD/work truck running up about 40K miles/year. It will tow trailers weekly, and my 20' hybrid trailer in the summer and spend time between the city and two properties that I manage (300 acres at 9,000 feet, and 3,300 acres at 6,000 feet through all weather) and still must be able to run extended periods on the highway.

The Tacoma has a topper, runs 235/85/16 on a OME suspension w/ timbrens and is just about perfect for me except the passenger compartment is way to cramped. I am 6'5" and nobody wants to sit behind my seat. The OME is just about perfect. The truck sits about 2" taller and has a perfect rake, so it sits level with a load. It also handles much better than stock on everything.

Considering a Suburban for a replacement vehicle, as long as I get one with low range (I do use it regularly) Would like a 2500, but a 1500 would suite my needs.

Who makes a decent suspension system for a burb? I would like to OME it, get it about 2" taller, with a decent rake? I will run the stock tire sizes due to trailer pulling, and not wanting a re-gear?

Saiyan66

Adventurer
For a 1500 my recommendation would be this: get a set of CST upper control arms that run ball joints (necessary for correcting geometry and travel), some adjustable height Bilstein 5100 front shocks (they run a threaded collar on the body to adjust spring height), a 1" coil spacer for the rear, and matching Bilstein 5100's for the back. Should give you good quality ride and a little extra height without too many difficulties.

For a 2500 my recommendation would be this: the same CST upper arms as before (but for the 2500), some torsion lift keys, standard Bilstein 5100's all the way around, and you shouldn't need any extra height in the rear.

You can always go higher quality and cost on the shocks, but honestly for 95% of the people out there a Bilstein 5100 is a fantastic option for the money.

Are you set on a Sub? Sounds like you might be a good candidate for a 3/4 ton diesel truck or something of that range. Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94