Homemade RTT

taylorf16

I've looked at these things for about a year now, and cannot come up with any just reason to spend $1800 on a roof top tent.

My backpacking tent is super lightweight, but during cold and rain it just doesn't feel like I've got a chance of staying put, so I was thinking of something a little more heavy duty.

I read through a really well made RTT over at http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2008 but I think I want something a little more heavy duty. I don't have any doubt his tent material is sufficient, but I do a lot of winter camping and feel like I need a little more.

I'm completely in love with Springbar tents, and it doesn't help that the factory is right down the street. I finally came to the conclusion that a Springbar on a platform would be the way to go. Best of both world yeah?

Most camping trips involve myself, my wife thats 5'1'', my 7 year old daughter, and a 50 pound pibble.

The platform is 2 pieces of 11/16 plywood cut 6x4. All unfolded, this will give me a 6x8 platform, which happens to be the exact dimensions of the Springbar Compact 2. Yess!!

I'll post as much as I can, but I'm in a bit of a hurry to get this put together.
Also, this will be going over the bed of a 2002 Double Cab Tacoma but will stay under the top of the cab.

taylorf16

So the cool thing about being a personal trainer is that I have 8am-4pm free with a class to teach at noon.

Yesterday and today's progress:
Thursday - got the plywood painted with a water based primer sealer. (Deck paint)
I had ordered the hinges from compact camping concepts about a week ago. Scott Cheney is a pretty quick communicator over there and shipped them out super fast. So a big thanks to him!
Bolted them up with a support ledge in the center. Used a 1x6.

The whole platform measures 6 foot by 8 foot so this thing is pretty big

4edy6ate.jpg

Today I went and picked up some 1 inch EMT for the bottom support bars, and some 3/4 to slip inside and be adjustable. I couldn't find a reducer so I just used a 1 inch clamp and a 3/4 clamp. I was planning on using straps to hold the support bars apart, but I don't think I need to. When its unfolded, it's actually pretty sturdy.
by9e9uzy.jpg

I ended up pulling off the stake hooks on the tent and using the wholes for wood screws.. I put a few particle board screws along the bottom of the tent. I don't have any concerns about the canvas years because these things are crazy strong.
nyze6y2e.jpg

I'm keeping the bars on the outside and the tents waterproof integrity. The floor is pretty thing and I don't want to do anything to puncture or compromise it.. I'll put more as I get it mounted to the truck and try to throw a video of it opening here shortly...

As far as investment to this point, here is a breakdown:
Tent: $170 without springbar system
Wood: $65
Screws and bolts: $40 (special press nuts)
Hinges: $54 shipped
Paint: $27
EMT Conduit: $50. I bought a bender, but returned it because I'll never use it again :) ($32)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorf16

Since the hinge and support bars are in the way of the doors, I'll be using those as windows and cutting in a new door..

The plan is to get about 2 yards of the same canvas the tent is made out of (Duck Canvas) and cut a rectangle in the side with no doors. I'll sew in the canvas a little wider than the hole and let the tent canvas overlap the door canvas so as to keep the water out. I've got a couple zippers I'd like to put along the sides, then some heavy velcro across the bottom. The bottom will overlap the tent canvas by about 6 inches in case the wind and rain get too crazy. Springbars also have somewhat of a shock cord along the bottom of the inside of the doors. Thinking about recreating that. Seems to work well.

I'll get to more this weekend.

Have to take my concealed carry permit class again so that will be my Saturday morning. But I'll do what I can afterwards.

taylorf16

The canvas looks a little bunched up but that's my test fit. I'll be retightening everything and getting it to look a little smoother.
The inside is big and the bottom is pretty smooth. (nothing bunched up) So I'm pretty happy with it.

getout

Adventurer
Watching this one. We own three springbars. Big ones though. I've thought about using one on a fullsize van roof rack. :)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

taylorf16

Well. Didn't get a damn thing done today. Did get to put a few rounds through the Glock 19, and took the wife out for dinner and a movie.. 7:00pm on a Saturday night.. Saw Home Front - empty theatre.1395126_10152402619269409_152962362_n.jpg

taylorf16

Changed out the bolts on the hinges today to some round head so the bottom of the tent won't catch on it anymore.. A few pictures and I took a video.
Closed
adepeveg.jpg

Partially open
de2uzejy.jpg

taylorf16

Here's a little vid of it opening.. I still have to adjust the tension of the sides, but if I had to, it would be ready to mount right now.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
This is really cool. Like most things in the hobby good RTTs seem to be overpriced (not saying they are just saying ouch) so I've wondered about this before. What tent is that?

ert01

Adventurer
Will you be hanging it over the side or rear of the vehicle or will the entire base of the tent be supported by a roof rack when it is opened?

taylorf16

The main part will sit atop a 50x52 bed rack.
The tent will unfold to the passenger side of the truck and shouldn't need any sort of additional support.
I'm planning on some collapsible RV stairs that extend to 40 inches which will hook on the drivers side of the bed.

ert01

Adventurer
The main part will sit atop a 50x52 bed rack.
The tent will unfold to the passenger side of the truck and shouldn't need any sort of additional support.
I'm planning on some collapsible RV stairs that extend to 40 inches which will hook on the drivers side of the bed.

You might want to consider making some support straps like the ARB has to help support the cantilevered side. Would be easy to make for your tent and provide some peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier