Budget recovery tools

A3M0N

Observer
Due to some recent changes to military pay, my plans to convert my 2WD Jeep WJ to 4WD will be delayed. My budget is pretty low, but I only plan to drive on easy trails. What are some minimal tools to have with me? Shovel and Axe? 4x6 boards for traction?

Thanks!

mrchips

Adventurer
Lower your tire pressures to single digits, have a good air pump to refill tires, but make sure to not roll your tire off the bead on the rim. this will help with traction.

java

Expedition Leader
shovel can seriously save your butt in some cases. I prefer a long handled one, much easier to get under the truck when high centered etc

LR Max

Local Oaf
A couple blocks of 4x4 wood and a bottle jack.

Done that a number of times to get a diff off of something or fill in a hole. Such blocks can be had for cheap.

Also you could look at install a winch. That would help you out significantly. Look around for a used M8000.

A3M0N

Observer
There is so much I would have to do to implement even these things. I need to install tow hooks in order to use a recovery strap, Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredos don't come with them. And to use a winch, which is expensive in it's self, I need to install a front hitch receiver and a tray. A winch bumper is far too cost prohibitive. If I can get a set of factory tow hooks I could get pulled out, maybe a come along winch?

Is the point of using a shovel to dig out from under the tires to get some traction underneath them? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm just new to this idea. Maybe I'll just stick to simple car camping until I can get to the conversion.

Thanks!

Yuccahead

Adventurer
A few random ideas: Tire repair kits are not that expensive. Combine that with an inexpensive (but mostly reputable) compressor like the MV-50 and most flats won't be a problem. As mrchips said, lowering your tire pressure can help with traction a lot. A portable compressor like the MV-50 will get you aired back up for the pavement home. If you're on a tight budget, long carpet strips can help with sand. Spare belts, fuses, and other consumables are not that expensive to keep on board for emergency repairs.

A hi-lift can be useful and be used in lieu of a winch but they can be dangerous to use. If you use one, treat it with respect.

Finally, There are lots of videos on youtube on various budget recovery options. They can give you ideas as well.

psykokid

Explorer
Scraps of carpet or old towels can be used in a pinch for traction mats. Just remember to bring your bottle jack and a piece of wood so you can jack the truck up enough to fit them underneath after you've managed to dig your self into a hole. And also the shovel mentioned earlier is a great item to have on board, for filling in said hole after you've used your bottle jack and piece of wood and before you deploy your carpet. Cheapo plug kit, a good strap and a couple of shackles, and maybe a small air compressor like the MV-50 or similar..

LR Max

Local Oaf
There is so much I would have to do to implement even these things. I need to install tow hooks in order to use a recovery strap, Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredos don't come with them. And to use a winch, which is expensive in it's self, I need to install a front hitch receiver and a tray. A winch bumper is far too cost prohibitive. If I can get a set of factory tow hooks I could get pulled out, maybe a come along winch?

Is the point of using a shovel to dig out from under the tires to get some traction underneath them? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm just new to this idea. Maybe I'll just stick to simple car camping until I can get to the conversion.

Thanks!

Fair enough. Didn't now how "budget" we were talking. Seems like sub-$200 is where we are working.

X2 on an air compressor or properly time your trail exit near a location to fill up. I remember one time coming off the trail next to a discount tire. They offer free air from their nice giant air compressor. Mega win. Also many private OHV parks have an on site air compressor.

If not, air down to 20 psi and then get an air compressor to fill up. Don't rely on an air tank as they have enough capacity to fill...maybe 2 tires.

Come alongs and the like are actually pretty scary to operate. You gotta load them up with a ton of tension before they start moving the truck. The entire time you stare at that steel cable...wondering exactly how strong is it...and if you can duck fast enough if it were to snap...

Yeah, that is fun.

On tire repair, get a Safety Seal kit. I think the ARB kit is the same as well. Sure they are pricey but you get what you pay for. Literally the last plug kit you'll ever buy. I bought mine after a rock punctured my tire. I could've plugged it faster and easier than busting out the spare. Also when you carry a plug kit, you never need it. I mean, if that isn't worth $40, I don't know what is.

The best thing you can do is walk an obstacle before you roll through it. You can see exactly what you are dealing with, what is on the other side of that rock, and how deep that hole is. Otherwise, keep your truck in 1st gear and maintain momentum.

Also if possible, find a friend with a 4x4 truck you can travel with. Him pulling you out is 9034570398754923095089x easier than hand winching, digging, jacking, stacking rocks, and/or pushing.

getout

Adventurer
I don't know what you own or what it's worth, but you could always sell it and buy some super cheap 4x4. That's usually my answer to things like this. I've owned way too many different vehicles based on what I wanted to do at the time.

A3M0N

Observer
Fair enough. Didn't now how "budget" we were talking.

Yeah, the budget is tight. I'm not planning on any rock crawling (Florida) or crazy mud pits or anything else crazy like that, but I don't want to be stupid and not prepared at all. Just looking to get my son and myself off the asphalt and a tad more remote than a state park camp ground.

So the basic idea is to jack up the wheel somehow, fill in the hole, get some traction under the wheel, drive off? My plan is to eventually get the conversion done and install a front hitch receiver that will act as my recovery point and an eventual winch mount when I get that far.

Thanks again!

FJOE

Regular Dude
I feel like the words "Budget" and "Recovery" shouldn't go together. Not that you have to spend a ton on gear, but don't skimp either. That being said, many an old Ford pickup was pulled out of muddy ruts using basic things youd find on a farm. It's not the cost of the equipment, it's the wise choice of gear to bring.

A3M0N

Observer
Getout, I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I am pretty fond of. I'm looking forward to the conversion, the truck is reliable and had been a great vehicle, that's why I'm wanting to convert it rather than buy another lower priced vehicle.

Plus we're going to be PCSing soon, possibly across the country and I want to have my two vehicles that I know will make it rather than one that may not. I'm hoping to convince the wife to do some camping along the way, make an adventure out of it, not just a long and tedious road trip.

A3M0N

Observer
It's not the cost of the equipment, it's the wise choice of gear to bring.

This is probably a better way to say what I was trying to say. What non fancy gear would be recommended to have just in case while traveling on an easy trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior