Motoped. Offroadable Moped

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Let us know how you like it.

But why not get a small 250cc dirt bike or dual sport? They aren't much heavier and can actually keep up with traffic if needed.

I can swap out the motor in this in 10 minutes, from a 50cc to something with more power. It's light weight, and with a fully loaded down Jeep, I would rather hang this off the back, than a heavy motorcycle. My commute to work is about 10 minutes, and I actually have a trail I can take almost the entire way there. If I decide to ride it on the road, the highest speed limit on the way to work is 35mph. I can handle that, no problem. Not to mention, it's a pretty cool/unique idea, and their customer service has been is outstanding so far, so I felt good about helping fund their idea and company.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
why not a ct90 or ct110 then? Agree cool concept and hopefully ver. 2.0 will happen since some people bought in.

If you look into it there are some Honda 90cc and I think 110cc motors that have the same motor mounts...can't remember the exact years but it would be easy found somewhere over in the pit bike world if a guy was serious about one of these

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I spoke to Motoped before I bought one, and they highly recommended the Pitster Pro 155cc. However, they said motor swaps take about 10 minutes, and 2 bolts, so I could easily swap in a 50cc if I wanted to.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
You'll have to add me to the list of folks that just don't get it on this one.

$4k for a motoped? There is a KX 65 (that has been configured for an adult) on craigslist for $850 right now. motoped = 115 pounds, kx-65 = 132 pounds.

00o0o_5rE3aUsP3z6_600x450.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I didn't pay even 1/2 that for my brand new Motoped, directly from the company.

Hmm, so when they said "We have been making the Motoped in small quantities for $3,500-$4,800." as part of the kickstarter campaign, they were exaggerating a bit? Or did you order as part of the campaign?

haven

Expedition Leader
"I can swap out the motor...to something with more power."

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The original design doesn't look particularly robust.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Meh, not seeing the application here. More of a solution looking for a problem...

Why not a nice front shocked hardtail or even a full suspension rig, with a small motor added? I guess those have limited power and range but when not powered, at least you could pedal? And they're be build kn a non- propriatary base. Customer could choose from any number of chassis'/setups...

lonestrom

Adventurer
You know no matter how good of a argument you have AGAINST the Motoped , the guy who already bought one is never going to agree. !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamM

Adventurer
I've been looking into buying a Motoped. My Diamondback XTR downhill mountain bike will make the perfect donor. My planned usage for this would be as a survival vehicle and as a rescue/lifeboat for my Jeep/Adventure trailer. The Motoped would hang off the back of my adventure trailer on a small motorcycle rack.

Due to a horrific crash last year, I no longer ride motorcycles. A destroyed left knee and an ICD keep me off them as daily transportation now. Riding off-road bikes and mountain bikes is still ok though. The Motoped would be perfect for me, as I'd still like to be on two-wheels from time to time.

If, I do buy a Motoped. The plan will be to license it as a regular motorcycle. I already have an add-on dual sport wiring harness and a Trailtech Vapor gauge pod for this project.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Aubrey

Observer
Never forget the tacticool approach is also considered ...

Survival-Bike-Black-Ops.jpg

Motoped is a company formed from a successful Kickstarter venture for a motorized bike kit that utilizes an XR50/pitbike engine and standard mountain bike components. They've recently unveiled a prototype of their next product, the ‘Survival Bike'.

Survival Bike

Although the specs haven't been released yet, the base model Survival Bike shown above has changes over the standard model including a subdued color scheme with Olive Drab overtones, additional fuel canisters, and a carry rack.

Survival Bike Black Ops

Pictured above is the ‘Black Ops' model, which features the following tools and accessories:

- Barnett Recruit Compound Crossbow

- Rotopax RX-1G Gas Packs – 1 Gallon

- United Cutlery M48 Tactical Survival Shovel

- United Cutlery M48 Hawk Tomahawk

- United Cutlery M48 Hawk Harpoon

- Gerber Fixed Blade Saw

- Blackburn X6 Light System

- Black Diamond Carabiners / Climbing rope

- Cree Mini LED Flashlight

- BioLogic Bike Mount for iPhone4/gps

- Tool Logic Tactical Multifunction Knife / light

- Tool Logic Credit Card Companion multi-tool