Mongol Rally 2015

gorillamel

Dirty Blonde
Hi there!
I started a thread about my intended rally rig a few months ago and have been blabbing about my prep work/planning over there and figured it was about time to start a new thread solely for the Mongol Rally. My original thread is here (and has a crap ton of info on it which I will try to condense here): http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/117436-Fiat-500-Rally-Thread

Background:
I am a type 1 diabetic female and own a FIAT 500 S (daily driver, my off road toy is a modded Nissan Xterra S). My passion is off roading/adventuring and I thought the MR would be a wonderful opportunity to fulfill some of my bucket list wishes and help others less fortunate than myself with education on type 1 diabetes.

Our Team name is Mongolian Panda Express. Here is our website: http://mongolianpandaexpress.org/index.html We are aiming to participate in the Mongol Rally in 2015 (hopefully giving us enough time to raise money for the event). My co-pilot is a fellow off-roader from Spokane, WA- Tburk49760 (I'm from Boise, ID). Our intended vehicle is a 2005 Fiat Panda 4x4 Climbing Multiair (diesel) *fingers crossed*
The charity we will be sponsoring is the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. My goal is to create pamphlets translated into multiple languages to help educate others in areas with less accessible medical knowledge about the signs/warnings of type 1 diabetes, as well as how to treat it and get help for it.

This is our intended route:

Start- Goodwood circuit, Goodwood, UK
Dover, UK
Calais, France
Luxemburg City, Luxembourg
Basel, Switzerland
Lichtenstein
Plitvice Lakes NP, Croatia
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Shkodra, Albania
Ohrid, FYROM
Meteora, Thesaloniki, Greece
Bosphorus/Istanbul, Turkey
Cappadocia, Turkey
Batumi, Georgia (border crossing)
Tblisi, Georgia
42.917797,43.015672 (Ushigui, Georgia)
Astrakhan, Russia
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Muynak, Uzbekistan (dried up Aral Sea view)
Khiva, Uzbekistan (border crossing)
37.210833, 67.272222 (Termiz, start M41 Pamir hwy)
Khorog, Tajikistan
Wakhan Corridor, Afghanistan (cross at Ishkashim)
42.827778, 73.881389 (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, end M41 --> border crossing here), or...
Karkara Valley, Kaz (border crossing)
Beskol', Kazakhstan
Shemonaika, Kazakhstan/Rus (border crossing)
Gorno-Altaysk, Russia
End- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

1426470_708840665893_672509087_n.jpg

This is our logo.

Now for my questions for all of you:
  • Women overlanders: what feminine products do you recommend (feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable posting on here)?
  • Diabetic overlanders: Do you have any suggestions/recommendations for me? This will be the longest overland journey I have ever taken AND the most remote (~2mo).
  • Previous Mongol Rally Participants: what routes do you suggest to take/avoid?
  • How were your experiences at border crossings?
  • I plan to bring a head scarf for the predominant Islamic nations, are there any other specific clothing items recommended?
  • Feel free to give me feedback on the website. :)
  • How difficult was it to find sponors?
  • More to come as I think of them...

jpyrek

based on the countries you plan to go through you will NOT need a headscarf. Some countries are more apt to allow women in to look as mosques without them, but as far as every day being out in public sort of stuff...you won't need it at all.

Border crossings are a complete crapshoot. I did the rally in '09, and back then the Russia-Georgia border wasn't open. I know it opens and closes sporatically as several friends have crossed and many more turned away, so just plan for that. Generally HUBB provides fantastic up to date border information provided by users..so check there. I'm a little lost looking at your route as you mention heading from Tajikistan into Afghanistan, but then to Kyrgyzstan...(they don't border). Also, your route skips the Czechout party! If at all possible, go to Turkmenistan. It is one of most unique places I have ever been. If you all would like to chat sometime, let me know as I may be able to provide more insight!

-Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles