Specialized Bikes and their not so cool legal team

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Specialized doesn't really have a choice [not to] enforce registered trademarks, they run the risk that they could lose their rights to the registered mark.
There is no argument that they might need to defend their trademarks, but does that preclude them from offering good faith compromises? Like approaching the shop owner and asking that instead of getting lawyers involved would he sign an agreement to use the name for a $1/year and hang an advertising poster of Kate Courtney on her new ride.

I have no doubt Big S is being jerks based on prior history, but does anyone know if the shop owner was approached and maybe told them to pound sand? It's possible there is more to it than the human interest story being told of Goliath trying to squash the disadvantaged vet just minding his own business.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I read teh story and I think S is more worried about the fact the shop make s(sells) a carbon wheelset with Roubaix name on them, that is clsoer to the protected frame name than S might be happy with.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
1476324_630622317000806_1649721145_n.png

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Specialized also put Mountain Cycle out of business for naming their cyclocross bike Stumptown. Too close to Stumpjumper for them. MC is located in Portland which at one time was called Stumptown. MC is now back so apparently they survived the Big S shafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I have no doubt Big S is being jerks based on prior history, but does anyone know if the shop owner was approached and maybe told them to pound sand? It's possible there is more to it than the human interest story being told of Goliath trying to squash the disadvantaged vet just minding his own business.

What?! More than one side to the story? Silly boy. NEVER!

monkeyrider

Observer
Specialized went after Epic Designs a few years ago and forced them to change their name to Revelate designs. it's amazing that you can trademark a word like epic or Roubaix

p nut

butter
Specialized went after Epic Designs a few years ago and forced them to change their name to Revelate designs. it's amazing that you can trademark a word like epic or Roubaix

Funny thing is, Spec had to change a name of a bike (Carve) this year due to trademark infrigement. Funnier still is that they simply switched around two letters, naming it "Crave." I guarantee if roles were reversed, the big S wouldn't settle for a simple letter switcharoo.

MadMedic

Technical Responce Medic
my local bike shop removed all the logos of al specialized products, this isnt your standard small town bike shop but shop with many stores throughout the country

Overthetop

There is no argument that they might need to defend their trademarks, but does that preclude them from offering good faith compromises? Like approaching the shop owner and asking that instead of getting lawyers involved would he sign an agreement to use the name for a $1/year and hang an advertising poster of Kate Courtney on her new ride.

Unfortunately it isn't that easy. While Spec can certainly license their trademarks, they would then have a duty to inspect and control the quality of the goods and services being used by the licensee. A "naked license" where a licensor doesn't actively police the quality of the licensee's products is a rapid way for a trademark owner to lose their trademark rights.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Now this is how it is done in todays social media intense world....ASI will get a ton of good press and positive chatter and Specialized will continue to look like dorks...perfect.

Coilrod

The damage is done for me. No more gloves, bags or other cycling accessories from Specialized in my future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier