Specialized Bikes and their not so cool legal team

rcharrette

Adventurer
Specialized has a bit of a history of throwing around it's "muscle". Super lame and I hope they either back off on this one or it hit's them in the only place that they even care about $$$.
I was looking at their custom water bottle site for an event I'm planning. Wasn't even planning on "shopping". I think I'll check out some other companies now.

Presto88

Adventurer
I can see that companies need to protect their trademarks but if it's a situation where they would lose a fair fight in court, as implied in the article, then they are just being bullies. It's not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. I hope they get a lot of bad press.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I wholeheartedly agree Christophe.

There have been so many of these type of threads/articles over the years. I have stopped buying Specialized bikes (not that hard). I still have my 2006 Tarmac but I will not buy any more of their products.
Just google "specialized bikes a**hole company" or the like and you will see. It think I remember them suing companies regarding the word "epic"...like their overpriced roadie mtb is the only thing epic in this universe.
I don't see anything changing unless bike store owners speak up and even then they will probably just get struck down by the almighty S.
It will be hard to give up some things as I really like their saddles and helmets...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Or, they could sell Dan the "rights" to the name for a buck and retain their trademark. Typical Specialized, they're just being bullies. Roubaix, the city, was founded more than a thousand years ago! It's also one of the most iconic and oft-used words in cycling. Hell, the Paris-ROUBAIX bike race predates Specialized by nearly a century.

Super lame.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Specialized has a bit of a history of throwing around it's "muscle". Super lame and I hope they either back off on this one or it hit's them in the only place that they even care about $$$.
I was looking at their custom water bottle site for an event I'm planning. Wasn't even planning on "shopping". I think I'll check out some other companies now.

Forgot about the bottles...darn...I haven't found anything close to the feel of those...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Camelbak has a good custom program, but not as cheap as Specialized.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Or, they could sell Dan the "rights" to the name for a buck and retain their trademark. Typical Specialized, they're just being bullies. Roubaix, the city, was founded more than a thousand years ago! It's also one of the most iconic and oft-used words in cycling. Hell, the Paris-ROUBAIX bike race predates Specialized by nearly a century.

Super lame.
If this was Facebook I would totally like your post. The idea that a bike shop would use the name Roubaix is common sense, without a doubt it's an iconic race. If the Big S had any interest in being a good cycling company rather than finding ways to squeeze every dollar from cyclists they'd do exactly as you suggest. Screw 'em.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Specialized Bicycles also went after Speed Energy, an energy drink company founded by Robby Gordon. Their claim, the 'S' used by Speed was too similar to the 'S' in Specialized's logo.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
So, in a tremendous outpouring of support from the masses, the Specialized Facebook page has been virtually overrun by the people. It's actually quite interesting.

If you're a FB member, head over there and express your thoughts on this situation.

toddz69

Explorer
This has been standard operating procedure for Sinyard and Company for many years and this story will be yet another reason I don't purchase their products. Protection of copyrights and trade names is one thing - frivolous litigation is quite another. I hope justice prevails.

Todd Z.

p nut

butter
The whole industry has been making me nauseous as of late. Spec and their usual antics, what Lance and Trek did to Greg Lemond (among other innocent people)…….which is why I try to stick with small shops/frame producers. I couldn't imagine Bruce Gordon, Mike Varley, Jeff Jones, G. Peterson, or Steve Potts getting involved in anything like this.

I wish I were on FB so I could post. I hope they come to a compromise and let the poor guy just run his shop. Oh, and I haven't bought a bike from them for many years and don't intend to anytime soon, either.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Thanks for the alert on this...
And finally we have something positive to come out of social media in that the public can now use Specialized Facebook page against them. I personally will on on their page and post a comment, then share that comment on my page while asking everyone I know not to buy Specialized products and to voice concern.

Just plain corp bullies.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
We had to change the name of our company because of a trademark dispute with a large company. Our lawyer said that we had an excellent case that he would love to take on - but that we would need a $10,000 retainer just to get started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94