2004 Tundra build

TRUIZ

Observer
Made a water tank out of 4" abs pipe. End cap on one side. Ninety on the other w a remove able cap. Put a bike valve on to to pressurize the tank. Six foot piece of hose and a nozzle. Holds a little over two gallons. I figure it will be good for rinsing off and doing dishes. Works pretty good. I like it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

PaintRock

Adventurer
Nice Tundra. My '03 has been pretty good to me (knock on wood). That water tank is a good idea. Does it pressurize enough to push water uphill (i.e. would it still work if it weren't up high on your rack)?

TRUIZ

Observer
Nice Tundra. My '03 has been pretty good to me (knock on wood). That water tank is a good idea. Does it pressurize enough to push water uphill (i.e. would it still work if it weren't up high on your rack)?

That's a good question. I'm pretty sure it would but I don't know for sure I'll have to try it. I put approx 10 psi in it and its pressurized fairly well.

BajaDent

Observer

There is .434 psi loss for every vertical foot. In theory with 10 psi in the tank it will lift the water 23 vertical feet but have but have no pressure to flow. So if you had a tank mounted in the bed of your truck and ran a hose 4 feet up for a shower application (at 10 psi), you would have a loss of 1.736 psi with a residual head pressure of 8.264 psi at the nozzle/shower head. Although there is friction loss in hose it would be minimal with a 4 foot section. Friction loss is normally calculated in 100 ft. lengths at a time in addition to higher pressures 50-100 psi and higher flow rates.

PaintRock

Adventurer
So, if I understand this correctly, I could run this same tank in the bed of my truck, and still use it for a shower or spray hose, with less than a 20% loss in pressure in a real world application?

This is a really interesting idea. I have some wasted space under the plastic container my into which my bedcover rolls. I currently have that blocked off with a 2x12. I could run a filler hose, a pressure hose, and an outlet hose through the 2x12 into the tank for some onboard water... Of course, the filler hose would have to be tough enough to handle some PSI. Hmm. Sorry, I didn't mean to get your thread off track...

BajaDent

Observer
So, if I understand this correctly, I could run this same tank in the bed of my truck, and still use it for a shower or spray hose, with less than a 20% loss in pressure in a real world application?

This is a really interesting idea. I have some wasted space under the plastic container my into which my bedcover rolls. I currently have that blocked off with a 2x12. I could run a filler hose, a pressure hose, and an outlet hose through the 2x12 into the tank for some onboard water... Of course, the filler hose would have to be tough enough to handle some PSI. Hmm. Sorry, I didn't mean to get your thread off track...

A simple garden hose can handle the pressure no problem and a simple double female garden adapter so you can hook the end of a hose to it. You just have to make sure that you can seal the end of it to hold pressure and also have a vent to relieve the air when the water goes in. the vents that are found on the bottom of air compressors would be the hot ticket but obviously mounted on top of the tank. Another thing that Tyler and I talked about was getting a low flow RV pump. We were looking at one online that was 1.2 gpm at 30 psi (under 50 bucks on amazon and very low amp draw). You would still need the vent to you could get the water out to keep it from creating a vacuum.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Tyler has seen first hand my imagination and ideas come to fruition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles