2004 Tundra build

TRUIZ

Observer
Okay, actually gonna try and post a build up of my tundra. I'm not too savy with computers and don't know the in's and out's of all the thread stuff but here we go. Thanks to all who spend time posting what they have done and learned on this site. It is truly appreciated and extremely helpful. As many others have said, I have spent countless hours researching and trying to figure out what type of vehicle will work for me and how do I want to outfit it. What is needed and what is just "cool". A little background, I started out with a 1998 Tacoma 2.7L. Regeared to 4.88 and had mechanical lockers front and rear. I learned a ton from the Tacoma (which I still have). Mechanical lockers work great but definitely would rather have the option to turn them off and I needed more HP. Also learned that I do a lot more highway driving than off road driving so having a comfortable but capable vehicle was definitely priority. The taco was awesome on trails but lacked power and didn't like the freeway. Needed a truck as I like to fish and surf so bed storage is key, and wouldn't look at anything but Toyotas. New Tundras are too big IMO, new Tacomas are awesome with tons of aftermarket support but damn are they expensive! Nobody wants the first generation access cab Tundras and the prices overall were significantly lower than the new Tundras/Tacomas with same mileage. For me this was the perfect compromise between size, power, off-road capability, and aftermarket support. So I bought my Tundra with 46,000 miles on the clock. Enough talking, here is my Tundra as of now. Ill try to break down the modifications with pictures as best I can.

TRUIZ

Observer
image.jpg

List of Modifications:
FRONT:
Fox remote reservoir coilovers
TC upper control arms
Crown racing stainless steel braided brake lines
Power slot slotted rotors
Spyder 1.25" spacers

REAR:
custom Alcan leaf pack
Camper shel with windoors
Baja rack

FUTURE MODS:
Sliders
Skid plates
Some type of communication system
Storage setup in bed of truck

Just bought the truck. No mods done.

image.jpg

First we're new tires. This was a whole other battle between which tires to buy. Finally just said screw it and bought the 255/85r16 BFG MT. I figured they would rub like crazy but you never know until you try.

image.jpg

Drove around with the stock suspension and was surprised that they only rubbed the inner frame at full lock occasionally. Stock suspension with tires.

image.jpg

Remedied the rubbing with wheel spacers that ended up just moving the rubbing to the fenders. Pinch weld mod and trimming fixed that for the most part. I love having a camper shell on trucks so I can lock all my personal belongings up and sleep back there also. Windoors were a must. My shell on the tacoma doesn't have them and it is a pain to get stuff out of the back of the bed. Also wanted a baja rack for storage as I like to sleep in the back of the truck. Honestly, we will see if it was worth the fortune I spent for it.(baja rack) It seemed like a good idea at the time. More to come when I have more experience actually using it.

Camper shell:

image.jpg

Baja rack and install. Used yakima tracks and all hardware that was included with the rack. It was kind of a PITA! Didn't help that I was by myself for 95% of the install.

image.jpg

Next on the list was the alcan leaf spring install. Went over to a buddy's house who has every tool imagine able including air tools which made the job so much easier. Took maybe two hours. Still need rear shocks. I have all the measurements but can't find an aftermarket shock that fits perfectly. I called icon and they said the can custom make shocks to any desired length for an additional fee. We will see. It all costs $$$.

image.jpg

I tackled the front coilover and UCA install by myself. Big mistake. I got it all installed but it took forever!! I have done coilovers and UCAs before but needed another set of hands for sure. Started mid day and didn't get my truck off the jack stands until. 11:30 at night! Drove it around the block, parked it and went to bed. What a nightmare. Learned a ton though. Wasn't too impressed with the stopping power of the tundra so I purchased powerslot slotted rotors, hawk heavy duty brake pads, and crown racing stainless steel braided brake lines. That install was a walk in the park compared to the previously described endeavor. There is a reason I don't have any pics from the suspension install. I was just trying to get it done without losing my mind.

image.jpg

Went out to Ocotillo Wells last week for a test run just to work out any bugs. Took fish creek wash to an offshoot that was more technical. First impression is that the truck exceeded my expectations off road. Super smooth at higher speeds and for a "full size" truck it did surprisingly well on some rocky technical trails. More to come but that's what I have so far. Hope you enjoyed. If you have any questions let me know!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

TRUIZ

Observer
Well I dunno what happened but a bunch of pics didn't show up and there is the random pic of me and my buddy in his boat. Disregard that one sorry. Still trying to figure this out.

SPDSHFT

Nice build. Reminds me of mine along the way. BTW, assuming your rear springs gave you a 1-2" lift, I recommend the Radflo 8" resi shocks. They make a pin-top style just for the first gen Tundras, for both stock and aftermarket spring applications. I've had mine for 4 years with great performance...

Mako1114

Adventurer
I feel your pain on the UCA and coil over install; I just fitted PRG UCAs and Sway-A-Way coil overs on my Pro-4x Titan and it was a 5-hour solo journey of annoyance. An extra set of hands would've been great.

Cheers

TRUIZ

Observer
Nice build. Reminds me of mine along the way. BTW, assuming your rear springs gave you a 1-2" lift, I recommend the Radflo 8" resi shocks. They make a pin-top style just for the first gen Tundras, for both stock and aftermarket spring applications. I've had mine for 4 years with great performance...

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into those. Length of shock I need is 25 1/2" extended and 15 3/4 collapsed.

TRUIZ

Observer
I feel your pain on the UCA and coil over install; I just fitted PRG UCAs and Sway-A-Way coil overs on my Pro-4x Titan and it was a 5-hour solo journey of annoyance. An extra set of hands would've been great.

Cheers

Yeah I was literally sore the next day. Felt like I did a workout at the gym or something. I need to invest in air tools.

TRUIZ

Observer
No I didn't take very many pics but it was pretty straight forward. Just hard to drill into a brand new camper shell. That was the hardest part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles