Suspension Upgarde Suggestions

topher800

hy,

if there a sway with air bags there is one because air bags are connected together. it should be connected with separate hoses in order to prevent air transfer
hope this helps
incognito

My airbags have separate lines, and it swayed quite a bit. It was fine on the highway, but leaving the supermarket parking lot was class IV. My next move should have been the shocks. I was still on the stock Dodge shocks.

Chris

Last edited:

incognito

Adventurer
hy,

good shocks are a good improvement
if you already add a leaf or 2 my suspension guys here put one more leaf and took out the 2 OEM dodge ram 3500 overload leafs and fabricate some heavy duty ones which also act like stoppers at a certain amount of sway
with service box with camper I have 4000 lbs no shock will handle this, I'm still with the OEM ones which perform very well the only thing I want longer ones.
the problem is that with today propaganda( everybody sells the best shock) is hard to decide. probably bilstein 7100
I take a look at commercials vans or at a 5500 truck it don't ride the expensive shiny shocks but have countless leafs like 10 or so each side. like this can carry lots of load without sway
is just a question of adjusting the rear leaf packs of actual weight of truck plus camper . Oem suspension on these pickups is a compromise between a good ride empty and a problematic one when hauling. because a lot more people are driving empty or towing and not hauling campers
http://globalcamper.blogspot.ca/p/4x4-dodge-ram-camper.html
hope this helps
incognito

Attachments

• IMG_5377.jpg
    IMG_5377.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 16
  • 20140516_170314.jpg
    20140516_170314.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I finally got around to trying out my overload spacers. They make a big difference. The rear stays up and there is less drivers side sag. Took it for a drive and there is very little sway. They were very squeaky so I came home and put some Bel-Ray waterproof grease on them and took took it for another drive and it quieted up.

View attachment 209498

View attachment 209499

View attachment 209500

View attachment 209501

My friend did the same thing to his '05 Dodge 3500 QCLB. He carries a Callen half cabover supported by a utility bed. The front coils on the 3rd gens are woefully inadequate to carry a camper. My friend and I use Kore's VR
s as they are the stiffest variable rate coil out there.

incognito

Adventurer
My friend did the same thing to his '05 Dodge 3500 QCLB. He carries a Callen half cabover supported by a utility bed. The front coils on the 3rd gens are woefully inadequate to carry a camper. My friend and I use Kore's VR
s as they are the stiffest variable rate coil out there.
after seeing the video of earthroamer.com running air bags in front and 2 per wheel rear I'm thinking more and more try the firestone level-rite air-shocks for front.,it will be stiff on highway and soft off road. control the vibration by deflating the air shocks instead of deflating the tires which is PITA . marketing recommend for slide in campers also
http://riderite.com/Level-Rite Product Detail
incognito

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.

This is eastbound just downhill from Mengel Pass in Death Valley last week. I wouldn't want to go uphill on these rocks.
Since my post of now a year ago, I have added an add-a-leaf to the rear bringing the packs up to 8 leaves(it lifts the rear up 3 inches to match the front);

replaced the exhaust system with a 4 inch pipe and less restrictive muffler; replaced the front outers with Dana 70, 35 spline outer shafts and upgrade, replaceable bearings (to replace the unit bearings) and put on Dana 70 selectable hubs. Just these two things gives me about 1 mpg and better acceleration. The steering is easier now, i'm thinking because of not all that drivetrain turning, giving a gyroscopic period.

Even so, I dragged both the front and rear diffs, once each, and bonged the pass side step bar. My excuse is it was the worst (read best) roughest trail I've been on with Cabeza to date. We drove all the bad stuff.
I did not air down the first couple days and paid for that mistake with a harsh ride. Once down to 32/30 pounds in the tires, driving washboard and rocky terrain were a walk in the park.
jefe

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
after seeing the video of earthroamer.com running air bags in front and 2 per wheel rear I'm thinking more and more try the firestone level-rite air-shocks for front.,it will be stiff on highway and soft off road. control the vibration by deflating the air shocks instead of deflating the tires which is PITA . marketing recommend for slide in campers also
http://riderite.com/Level-Rite Product Detail
incognito

These guys can transform the handing of your rig.
Expensive? Sure but it seems like this may be the last truck you'll own.
http://www.hrt-offroad.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94