why not as many 96-99 suburbans?

xbox73

Adventurer
I had a '99 2500 4WD with the big block Vortec 454 (7.4L) with 285/75/16 (~33") tires, and got around 9 mpg, but I have a heavy foot. It's possible with a higher lift and/or larger tires that you may see the same mileage or worse. I believe the front driveshaft on the 4WD models spins continuously, even in 2HI, which contributes to the mileage problem via drivetrain losses.

The 285/75/16 tires rubbed occasionally when turning into a big dip, and I don't think mine had aftermarket suspension (though shocks had been replaced, so could have been slightly longer than stock), though may have had the torsion bars cranked a bit. I think the 2500 & 4WD models sit a little higher, so you might just be able to stuff 33" tires in there with only occasional minimal rubbing.

With the IFS, they aren't ideal for hardcore wheeling, but mine saw plenty of fire road & normal 2-track use, with no issues.

The 96-99 got the Vortec version of the 454 and were rated at 290hp & 410 ft lbs. With an aftermarket air filter & Flowmaster 50 series exhaust, mine had a nice V8 growl, and was probably over 300 hp at the crank.

So with a 3/4 ton frame, big block engine & heavy duty 4L80E trans, mine had no problem towing a car on an open deck trailer multiple times (pretty close to the 5k towing capacity you are after), even with the cargo & seating areas loaded with cargo.

Over approx. 5 years ownership & 30k miles (75k - 105k), from what I can remember, other than basic service, mine needed a new transfer case not too long after purchase (probably as a result of not being shifted in & out of 4WD occasionally by previous owners to keep things lubricated), some plug wires, exhaust manifold gaskets & a starter, so not too bad overall. Edit: I think previous owenrs had front end rebuilt just before I got it, and I think I had some front end work done as well, and I think I had the power steering pump & lines replaced too.

I did many memorable trips in the 'Burb, all over the desert Southwest & down to Baja numerous times too, so was sad to let it go.

I replaced it because I wanted better mileage & to try a diesel, and after lots of searching found a good deal on an off-road prepared '00 Excursion with 7.3L PSD, but that's in a different price range than what you're looking to spend.

If the '99 big block Burb is in good condition, and you can stomach the mpg, it sounds like it would serve your intended use relatively well.

syoungs

Great info!
I can stomach any mileage above 10mpg. Through hours of research I've come to the conclusion that's doable quite easy.

The search is on now. The dealership is buying my f250 back next week. (Should a been today) so hopefully I can come across the right rig within a month or so.

We have also decided to sell off the camp trailer, and go back to a tent, so I may even consider a 1500, would have to be the right deal though, the tranny on em scares me.

jimed43

Adventurer
Any solutions for the center console on my 99? It has a place in the front for CD's but I much rather have a decent cup holder.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
My '99 is a 1/2 ton with the 5.7 and I use it for everything, pulling trailers, dirt road travels, exploring the back roads, etc.. I put a 2.5 inch lift and run 265/75-16's, it gets 16 on the freeway at 75 and has never left me stranded or limping,

As far as the IFS goes if You are careful You should have no troubles at all, the fleet I work for had 12 different tahoes/yukons in 96-99 years as sheriff patrol units and even they couldn't break the drivetrain, which is identical,

If You lift one that has the push button AWD it will require a double cardan driveline or it will vibrate and eventually break the t-case, the factory locker combined with the wheelbase & weight distribution makes these monsters go like hell offroad and in deep snow!!! I Love mine!!

Also, we still have 10 of the fleet rigs being used around the department and they are all over 200000 miles, a couple are 250000-290000 miles and are still running strong!!

jimed43

Adventurer
If You lift one that has the push button AWD it will require a double cardan driveline or it will vibrate and eventually break the t-case, the factory locker combined with the wheelbase & weight distribution makes these monsters go like hell offroad and in deep snow!!! I Love mine!!

Can you explain this more? What is a double card an drive line?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Haakon

Observer
Is it possible to squeeze 11-13 mpg hwy with a bb vortec on 33s? Seems as if a TBI 5.7 can achieve numbers in this realm pretty easy.

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. My 94 Silverado 2500 7.4L only gets max 12 mpg hwy with the stock 30" and very very un-aggressive street tires. I'd expect maybe 9 or 10 with 33's - which I'll hopefully be finding out before to long when I put them on my truck. As a not exact comparison my 99 Tahoe with the 5.7 gets as high as 17.5 mpg hwy at 75+ mph.

The 2500 definitely rides stiffer than the 1500, but that 97 you tested probably had worn out shocks too, my 1500 really tightened up with new shocks, not like the 2500, but better.

One of these days I'll get a 2500 Sub to add to the stable, I miss having one around.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
There is absolutely nothing wrong with an IFS chevy they are just tougher to work on and parts are a little more expensive.

Any 4WD V8 of that era will net between 9-14 MPG.

$4000 is an ok deal on a 454 3/4 ton 99 in good shape, if you like that truck I'd go for it.

Erik N

Adventurer
I'm driving a '96 Burb 2500 4x4 for the fire department. It has 81,000 miles on it. Mileage is around 10 mpg with the big block. I don't care for the push button 4x4 either (kinda slow going into four wheel drive from 2 wheel drive) but other than that it's pretty nice. I rarely carry passengers but loaded with rescue gear it cruises great down the road with plenty of power. Wish it sat a little higher in stock form. Great truck.

I also have a '96 2500 454. 10 mpg... that's what it gets. Just accept it.

Don't use it as a DD and you will like it OK. It will churn through damp, broken sand cookie dough like an industrial mixer.

Shift the button before you actually need it.
DSCN0187.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles