Considering a Lowrance GPS

ccarley

Adventurer
I understand that the way to go nowadays is to use a tablet, iPad, or whatever, but I'm considering a used Lowrance GPS for my Suburban.

The Suburban is an '89 square body; meaning I have plenty of room on the dash. I'm not looking for turn by turn directions, but for the price, something to track where I have gone at least, so that if I get lost, I may find my way back, or at least radio for help using my coordinates. On that note, I do also have a 2M HAM rig (I'm KJ6KPS), as well as a CB radio (both onboard and a hand-held unit). If I'm headed anywhere unfamiliar, I will always have an actual map with me as well.

I am considering a Lowrance 3500c; there have been a few on ebay going for $150 or thereabouts. I believe I read somewhere here that it is basically the same as a 540, but not ruggedized, and sold for nautical use instead. For my needs I won't need the most up to date road info. I have seen that on newer models there are some pretty awesome features, like locating repeater stations, but that's certainly a luxury I can live without, especially since I carry a book of North American repeater sites :) I like the idea of having a large-ish screen showing where I am, and where I have been, in sight while I'm driving. My wife, as much as she tries, doesn't quite have map reading down.

What I use now is an older Garmin unit; it's an eTrex something or other, and works pretty well for a passenger to read to me. I use it for mountain biking, and if/when we go hiking. It has plenty of data for my needs. I'm not sure what additional features I really "need" to be honest. Sure an overlay of a topo map would be cool, but is it necessary? Or points of interest? If I'm headed out somewhere, I've probably already researched those.

Well, it's something I'm considering anyway. I'm not looking to spend a whole bunch on it, especially since I just spent too much on new exhaust after doing the top end of my engine.

Thanks for any input!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I don't have any opinions on the 3500. I used to have a 540 and loved/hated it. It is fantastic at displaying waypoints and telling you where you are and plotting your course as you go. It has a terrific screen and you can easily configure data on the screen to give you useful information in various font sizes. However, it is difficult to set up tracks and waypoints and even maps into it. If you buy one, I HIGHLY recommend buying the maps on memory card already formatted and ready to go. The software on PC sucks and isn't 64bit so it may not even run on Windows 7, I don't know, but I had troubles just getting the software to run on Windows Vista back in the day

Mojave_2011-04-X2.jpg

SteeevO

I understand that the way to go nowadays is to use a tablet, iPad, or whatever, but I'm considering a used Lowrance GPS for my Suburban.
... some pretty awesome features, like locating repeater stations...

Looks like you saw one of my posts on this :)

If you change your mind and decide to get a newer unit with more bells and whistles, let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles