Help picking a lift kit for a 6.0L Excursion

xbox73

Adventurer
Depends on the model year. I found the following info on a diesel forum, which I can't vouch for the accuracy of, but sounds correct:

"03/04 are leaf spring front ends, so they used a wider offset to push the tires away from the springs. 05+ are coil springs and can use less of an offset. So 03/04 wheels fit all years, and 05+ stockers you may find rubbing issues when used on 03/04 trucks."

Since I believe those model years both had 18" rims stock or available as an option, I'd find out the specs of the OEM 18" rims, which should give you the 18" sizing, and then adjust for 20" rims, by comparing width, backspacing, offset against the OEM 18" rims for that model year. Part also depends on preference & whether you want (and have room for) wheels that tuck, wheels that are flush with the fenders, or wheels that stick out a little.

Last edited:

crazy

Adventurer
I know what you mean, I have a 7.3L in an '01 F250 that I bought new, on my third tranny just over 180k mi. and cant justify trading it for a new truck at ~$60k!

I bought mine new in 2000. Still the original trans at 168k miles. I hope it will hold up until at least 200k. NO MORE NEW TRUCKS for me.

EricU

Observer
Depends on the model year..."03/04 are leaf spring front ends, so they used a wider offset to push the tires away from the springs. 05+ are coil springs and can use less of an offset. So 03/04 wheels fit all years, and 05+ stockers you may find rubbing issues when used on 03/04 trucks."...

• Aren't all the 4wd Excursions front suspensions, Live axles with Leaf Springs?

xbox73

Adventurer
  • Aren't all the 4wd Excursions front suspensions, Live axles with Leaf Springs?

Hmmm, you're probably right, I think the info I quoted above was generic F250/F350/SuperDuty info. Since the F250/F350 only switched to coil springs in '05 ... and '05 was the last year for the Excursion, the Excursion may have just stayed with leaf springs until the end of production in '05.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
They have the same suspension as the F250/350. Leafs until 03 and then a coil/arm suspension after that. The '07? f250/350 also went to a wider front axle to help with more steering degree for a tighter turning radius.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Hmmm, you're probably right, I think the info I quoted above was generic F250/F350/SuperDuty info. Since the F250/F350 only switched to coil springs in '05 ... and '05 was the last year for the Excursion, the Excursion may have just stayed with leaf springs until the end of production in '05.
Good point, hadn't thought about that

Raul B

Explorer
They have the same suspension as the F250/350. Leafs until 03 and then a coil/arm suspension after that. The '07? f250/350 also went to a wider front axle to help with more steering degree for a tighter turning radius.

all 4wd excursions have leaf springs up front. all the way up until they stopped making them in 2005

EricU

Observer
all 4wd excursions have leaf springs up front. all the way up until they stopped making them in 2005

So, with aftermarket rims and 35x12.50s, What backspacing for rims should I be looking for if I use;
1.18"s?
2.20"s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles