Monongahela 2008, WV, 8/20-8/24

firemansxterra

Adventurer
wow it looks like you guys had a great trip, sorry i didn't make it, is there anyway i can get a copy or find out what trails you guys took in and played on while you were there? thanks in advance...

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
firemansxterra said:
wow it looks like you guys had a great trip, sorry i didn't make it, is there anyway i can get a copy or find out what trails you guys took in and played on while you were there? thanks in advance...

Sorry you couldn't be there (along with everyone else who had plans to go and had to cancel) We really didn't do anything in the way of "trails" and we had no planned itinerary.

It really came down to:
Wed: Arrive at camp on Forest Road 13, set camp, BS, eat, BS
Thur: Eat, BS, Forest Road 75 to Dolly Sods, BS, climb Bear Rocks, BS, eat, hike Bluebird Knob trail to the exceptional scenery, BS, fill water tank, BS, eat, BS
Fri: Eat, BS, Forest Road 18, BS, wait for IH8RDS, DSY and mtnbike28 to run the shale pit, BS, swim at the waterfall, eat, BS, climb Fire Tower, see the Windmill Farm, BS, fill the water tank, BS, eat, BS
Sat: Eat, BS, Bowden Cave, BS, eat, swim at Seneca Rocks, BS, fill water tank, BS, eat, BS
Sun: Eat, BS, say goodbye to new friends, drive Forest Road 324 at Otter Creek Wilderness, see more exceptional scenery, eat, BS, hike Yellow Creek trail, fill water tank, BS, eat
Mon: leave before rain

FR 13 (Canaan Loop) is a fun road with some stream crossings and a few high clearance sections, lots of campsites, good views

FR18 is a dirt road with a very rough cobblestone like section that feels way better at 20psi than at 40psi. It has one washout that can prove a challenge to low-clearance or long wheelbase vehicles. One side trail leads up to a shale pit, the trail gets quite narrow in one section.

FR 75 to Dolly Sods is a very straight! graded gravel road that poses only dust as an issue; unless you are parking a very low slung subaru on a high slung rock!

FR 13 stream crossing
2808812877_bef71fc9fe.jpg

FR 13
2808811237_141db37f61.jpg

FR 18 washout
2808810525_e493573456.jpg

FR 18 Trail to the Shale
2809623874_b8c90eaeac.jpg

FR 75 The Long and Dusty
2808773553_a29d779c06.jpg

Just to note a few of these pics are from last years trip, just to show you samples of the roads.

IH8RDS

Explorer
jim65wagon said:
Fri: Eat, BS, Forest Road 18, BS, wait for IH8RDS, DSY and mtnbike28 to run the shale pit, BS, swim at the waterfall, eat, BS, climb Fire Tower, see the Windmill Farm, BS, fill the water tank, BS, eat, BS

Jim,

Do you have the pictures from from the first part of the shale pit?

firemansxterra

Adventurer
jim, thanks for the info on the trails, i might try to locate a map so that my girl and i can find the waterfalls and swimming holes you were talking about. Thanks again...

JamesDowning

Explorer
Wow guys, this looks like a blast! I live near Baltimore, so this would certainly be within reach.

Is this something you all plan on doing in 2009? As long as my work doesn't ship me overseas for some reason, I'll certainly be in! :smiley_drive:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
It was a fun time. So far I do not have plans for a repeat this year; although my plans can change quit fast if something interesting comes up! Others who attended may up the ante by announcing a 2009 trip; keep your eyes open, it's about that time of year for those in our area to start posting trip plans....

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That is one hell of a kitchen set up! I'm getting in on the next trip if that guys cooking!

Scotts got quite the kitchen but he can throw down some good grub to back it up too. He's even got a stovetop oven.

We eat well at these Expo East gatherings. The menus at the last two Mons have include caribou steaks, Bear soup, escargot, citrus grilled salmon, campfire pizzas, campfire pies, potato soup, pulled pork, and so on and so forth. Nothing better than sharing good grub with your friends around a blazing fire. :steak: + :campfire: = :chowtime:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles