Monongahela 2008, WV, 8/20-8/24

archtimb

Adventurer
Thanks for putting the welcome mat out! Also for the additional site info...looks workable. We are most definitely vehicle based so we might be able to just park along the "parking trail".

Mitch

cshontz said:
It'd be great to have ya join us, Mitch!

The campsite is basically an island with the forest road on one side, and a parking trail on the other side that wraps around the camp site. We are starting to push it, but I think we can coax more space from the area. If it comes down to it, we can keep the vehicles on the side of the forest road, and use the entirety of the parking trail for ground tents. Also, there might be some room for ground tents across the forest road if the foliage isn't too dense. I think we'll be okay.

839099252_691f3d25cf.jpg

Larger version:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1011/839099252_c4fbdb0e26_o.jpg

Here's the forest road.

273149149_5290e406a4.jpg

Here's the parking trail.

272324779_0aaccf3d23.jpg

KMR

Adventurer
archtimb said:
Just put in a tentative sign-up. Need to see as we get closer.

Looking forward to putting some faces to your online persona's!

Just curious, but what happens if we outgrow the campsite?

Mitch
Well..... If he goes then I have to go since he gets lost on his own. :safari-rig: :safari-rig:

archtimb

Adventurer
Smart *** kids!
Whippersnappers!
Back in my day...
Grumble, grumble grumble...

:)

Well, yeah, I guess that's true...TGFGPS!

Mitch

KMR said:
Well..... If he goes then I have to go since he gets lost on his own. :safari-rig: :safari-rig:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I thought he meant me...

sorry Mitch, I thought Kevin was talking about me ; )

But you were right, it was you...
It is looking better for me, my daughter starts orientation on the 20th, now I am waiting to see when the dorms open....

Just drop her off and leave ; )

Jay in NY

archtimb

Adventurer
Be good to see you there Jay. Gonna drive the 40?

We might be around your neighborhood this weekend, if you or us get bored!

Mitch

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Wow! This is exciting! Being one of the two members (unless we count Paul as 3) from the first trip and seeing this growth in interest is thrilling. I suddenly have an Easter Jeep Safari picture in my head with all the attendees trying to ride along the Canaan Loop at once!

All this interest also gives me worries...I know we are all members of the Expo and therefore try to hold ourselves to some form of higher standard than the average yahoo; but:

{stands up on soapbox}
I think we should mention something about general conduct and reiterate that:
It is a very family oriented outing, I along with some others will have our children there;
Moderate alcohol is OK at camp - no slobbering drunks and no driving under the influence;
Try to curb your language a bit (I should talk right? but I do fairly well);
I think guns should be a no-no...nothing against guns I use a few myself but in a group situation I think its asking for trouble;
Tread Lightly;
The outing involves more than just wheeling but please don't feel you have to participate in every hike, geocache, trailride, game, pyrotechnic dislpay, etc just because others are doing it.

Please feel free to opinionize about the general form of conduct we as a group should follow, I am not trying to imply that anyone of this group is bad or a bad influence, just that I have seen the "crowd effect" in relation to other events and it would break my heart to see something as dear to me as this trip degrade to such a state. Thank you...
{climbs down from soapbox}

On to other agenda;
We (my family) would like to spend one day hiking through Dolly Sods, there was something on the horizon from Bear Rocks that I feel I must see. Anyone that wants to tag along is free to do so.
We're discussing a short spelunk.
We'd like to hike further down the railroadgrade.

If anyone has ideas or opinions as to places to see, trails to ride, or other forms of entertainment please lets begin this conversation.

Sorry for the longwindedness but I've got nothing else to do today but a science fair projest with my son...

Last edited:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
we are in for the day hike. and if you need any special gear for the spelunk, let me know. spelunking up here in the northeast is closed right now because of the whitenose syndrome with the bats..

KMR

Adventurer
jim65wagon said:
...It is a very family oriented outing, I along some others will have our children there...
Good point, I know that we wouldn't be attending if it wasn't, and I certainly wouldn't be willing to go out in the woods and camp with a bunch of strangers if they weren't from Expo. I have confidence that the group will conduct itself well, and I am looking forward to exploring the area.
On that note, consider us up any hiking, spelunking would be cool as long as it is not heavily gear dependent (ie. anything past head lamps & helmets) If there is any climbing or bouldering in the area I would love to dust off my shoes as well.
:camping:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Well said, James. Dolly Sods is calling and needs to be explored. Bears in blueberrys and hidden clefts in rock stacks not withstanding.

I am abit worried that there will not be enough room at the waterfall site for everyone. I can bring some planking for the ditch crossing into the opposite woods to aid in crossing that ditch and to help find tent areas there. And of course I'll have my trusty, never rusty Sthil along if we get more deadfall in the main area or the woods that might need cleared.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I agree!

It is a very family oriented outing, I along some others will have our children there;

If I am lucky enough to get to come, I will have a 6 year old... last year looked like a relaxing week-end in a great place, that is what I sold the SO on ; ) I would love to hike/explore some caves too!

Jay in NY

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Haggis said:
Well said, James. Dolly Sods is calling and needs to be explored. Bears in blueberrys and hidden clefts in rock stacks not withstanding.

I am abit worried that there will not be enough room at the waterfall site for everyone. I can bring some planking for the ditch crossing into the opposite woods to aid in crossing that ditch and to help find tent areas there. And of course I'll have my trusty, never rusty Sthil along if we get more deadfall in the main area or the woods that might need cleared.

Agreed, Mark.If the turnout is anything like the wanttogo list every flat spot big enough for a tent will have to be used!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Family-friendly camping!

Good posts, guys - and I share everyone's sentiments regarding behavior and etiquette.

This trip is not organized by any one person, so there aren't really any rules, but there are certainly higher standards. I would personally appreciate it if all participants would make an extra effort to act responsibly at all times, and to be respectful of their fellow ExPo'ers, and the environment.

As Jim stated - I'm not trying to imply anyone in our group is bad, or a bad influence. Since many folks are essentially strangers, we just want to make sure that everyone has similar social expectations.

:camping:

I would enjoy the proposed Dolly Sods hike. That area is amazing!

1258300583_6accb8d8de.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
As Jim stated - I'm not trying to imply anyone in our group is bad, or a bad influence. Since many folks are essentially strangers, we just want to make sure that everyone has similar social expectations.

So much for the naked Zip line off Big Run Overlook:costumed-smiley-007

edit: just kidding, I'm with you guys, but doubt ther'll be any issue

For anyone interested in caving , I know of a good one. It is a very large cave and the front section is very well suited for a beginners trip. I took my daughter thru when she was 7. It is a very popular cave, if you google Bowden Cave, you'll probably find many photos and trip reports.

Stolen from the interweb
58.jpg

Last edited:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Man, I'm starting to feel better already! Going to be another fun year; Geocaching, Spelunking, Dayhike, throw in a trailride and we'll have all our days full.

Just curious; how many ground tents vs RTTs. I only know of one RTT so far (still got it right Chris?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles