SOLD: 2002 Sportsmobile: Ford E350 EB 7.3L Diesel Quigley 4x4 w/poptop

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
2002 Sportsmobile: Ford E350 EB 7.3L Diesel Quigley 4x4 w/poptop
SOLD: $30,000.oo
DSC_2347.jpg
I’m the second owner of this Sportsmobile and I have full records since new. The van has 287,775 miles on it (1/6/14), but has been taken care of its whole life. All the things you might think need sorting out at this sort of mileage (Batteries, Trans, Diff Fluids, Starter, Alternator, etc…) have been sorted in the past 2yrs. The previous owner had it off pavement once, and did lots of hwy miles. I’ve driven this van all over North America on and off road. It has been my home since I purchased it in Nov. 2011. The rig is extremely capable and I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it anywhere as it sits right now.

The Good:
FULL Records since new, Mostly highway miles, Oil changed every 5,000 miles (regular, not synthetic), Burns less than 1 qt (of 15 qt capacity) every 5,000 miles, Only 11,000+ miles on new Cooper AT3 tires, In past 2 yrs has NEW/Upgraded (Stereo, House Battery, Brakes, E-Brake, Steering Stabilizer, Torsion Bars, Sway Bar Bushings, Windshield, Both Starter Batteries, Starter, Alternator, Front Shocks, Propane Tank), Fully serviced and/or rebuilt axels, Rebuilt Transmission

The Not so Good:
Few small systems not working properly: (AC system, Fog Lamps, Digital Rear View Mirror, USB on stereo), Rear quarter panel rust, Some surface rust on undercarriage, Hole in Gray water tank

FULL Specs/Upgrades/History/etc… can be found here: http://www.exploringelements.com/about/sportsmobile/

LOTS of photos of Van throughout my ownership can be found here: http://www.pinterest.com/explorelements/my-sportsmobile/

Van is currently located just outside DC in Silver Spring, MD. Can arrange for delivery or shipment on buyers dime. The vinyl Exploring Elements decals will be removed before owner takes possession. I am currently driving this van, so it will have a few more miles on it than listed.

Roof rack, cargo box and rear bike rack can be negotiated with sale, or they will be removed and used on my next overland rig.

The price is pretty firm, but I am motivated to sell soon. I will be using the sale proceeds to build another rig, still to be determined, for a RTW mission. This van has been an amazing adventuremobile for North American travel!

Thanks for looking,
Bryon Dorr
443-722-4953
bryon@exploringelements.com
DSC_8689 (1).jpgWAOverlandRally2013Andy copy.jpg
SportsmobileInterior-2.jpgSportsmobileInterior-4.jpgSportsmobileInterior-5.jpg

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
Nice SMB. I have been following some of your adventure stories with it. I have been toying with the idea of getting a new SMB and the layout you have seems similar to what I was thinking. It looks like it has an enclosed toilet and shower in the rear? It is kind of a rare layout (most are the "50" layout) so I was wondering how you like it after using it for a while? Also, good luck with sale. Interested to hear what your next build will be.

Last edited:

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks. Love this thing, but its time to move on to something else. It is a unique layout that the previous owner designed with Sportsmobile. Their is a cartridge toilet in the back passenger side cabinet. You just slide it out into the hallway to use it. There is a shower pan in the aisle that you can use with the top up and a hose from the sink. There is also a shower in the back of the drivers side rear cabinet that you can use off the back of the van with the doors open.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I know for sure the rear thermostat doesn't always work!!! Haha this is an awesome vehicle, good luck with the sale!

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Zack,

You did get to experience the fist night of thermostat issues recently at the VT Overland Rally. I haven't actually had time to play with it since, and haven't been sleeping in it lately. If I have the time this issue might even be fixed before someone buys it.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I have done nothing with the AC. It has worked intermittently since I bought it. The front blows cold about 80% of the time, but the back Starcool system does not blow cold at all. The front and back are linked together from what I understand. I have not tried to recharge the system, which could be all that it needs.

The furnace thermostat is something that stopped working very recently. It turns the furnace on and gets the van to the set temp and then shuts off as its supposed to. The issue is that it dosen't seem to turn back on to regulate the temp. It has only not worked for one night that I've slept in it and I haven't looked at it/worked on it since. Worst case scenario is a new thermostat, which shouldn't cost that much. I might sort this out soon anyway, as its been on my to do list.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Furnace thermostat is all fixed, works perfect. The thermostat just needed a little attention. I'm motivated to sell. Make me an offer. Use that holiday money to buy this amazing adventuremobile. Happy holidays!

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
The Furnace thermostat is now good to go. Ready for some winter camping.

I'm also making the drive from DC to Ashville, NC from Mon-Fri next week with the van to see family down there for New Years. If you'd like to see the van just drop me a line.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Price Drop!

Price dropped to $30,000! This is a smokin' deal on a great adventure van.

Just drove over 1,200 miles in the past week with no issues. Also slept in it in the NC mountains every night of the trip, with temps outside getting into the single digits at night. The furnace keeps it nice and toasty and the fridge keeps the beers cold.

This thing is ready to go adventuring with a new owner!

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Bump: You know this is a smokin' deal at $30K. Come and get it. Some interest and test drives scheduled this weekend, but no cash in hand yet. I want to make sure this rig continues to go on amazing adventures with a new owner soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles