Handgun Hunt

jscusmcvet

Explorer
While I have taken small game with a .22 revolver before, I never used a handgun on deer until yesterday. I had not really planned on it, but an opportunity arose as I was out and about on the farm early yesterday morning before heading to work. 6 deer were browsing through the edge of the wood line. I could see that 2 of them were decent sized does.

We have coyotes and also have evidence recently of a bobcat or two, and as always potential threat from two legged wildlife, so while out and about on the farm or in the woods, I regularly either have a long gun or a full size handgun with me. Yesterday I had my Ruger GP 100 4" 357.

I drew the weapon, slipped up toward them with no issue. Seems some of the spookiness of the last few weeks is gone. At about 20 - 25 yards I took aim and fired on the largest of the two. Clean hit, just below the shoulder. She traveled less than 50 yards and dropped. Turned out the upper leg was shattered, and the round passed through the chest cavity, breaking ribs on the way in and the way out and I think came to rest in the other shoulder (we hope to find it during processing). Winchester Silvertip. If I recall correctly, 140 grains, but I am not sure about that. This is a devastating round.

Had to call in work and let them know I'd be late. I skinned, dressed and quartered her and Ann will process the meat after a few days of curing. Looking for one or two more and the freezer will be full.

It was very exciting and I am pleased with the accuracy of me, the gun and the round. The damage done to both meat and bone reinforces the 357 to me as an effective defense round.

John

Modeler

W1DCS
Excellent John!

(Where I live, there are some arcane laws and I don't believe it is legal to hunt w/ a handgun here. I just received my License to Carry here in the People's Republik of MA and plan on learning to hunt as well.)

Dave

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
seriously....you carry a .357 because of "coyotes and a bobcat or two". Kind of whimpy, no? Handgun hunting has a long tradition, so this is not news. However, the risk of wounding or inducing unnecessary suffering an animal while you are handgun hunting is greater...especially if you are ill equipped or inexperienced.

just be careful is all I am saying...

robert

Expedition Leader
.357 works just fine on deer sized critters if you do your part; it works even better out of carbine. I've shot a couple of deer and hogs with various .357s over the years and haven't lost any of them. My usual load is a 158gr soft point at around 1400fps out of my Ruger GP100 6".

jscusmcvet

Explorer
seriously....you carry a .357 because of "coyotes and a bobcat or two". Kind of whimpy, no? Handgun hunting has a long tradition, so this is not news. However, the risk of wounding or inducing unnecessary suffering an animal while you are handgun hunting is greater...especially if you are ill equipped or inexperienced.

just be careful is all I am saying...

Well... my meat doesn't come from a store wrapped in plastic. This shot was news for me, since I have not hunted with a handgun before... wimpy? Not sure where you are coming from there, but with any experience you know that regardless of breed... coyote, bobcat, man, etc... you are better off having a significant round that will do the job. If you do not know that, well, you do not know that... I shoot to kill. Period. And the risk, well... I am filling my freezer friend, and the effectiveness of this particular round showed itself to be more than adequate for the job, and my shot placement far superior to many, regardless of weapon... a well placed shot, a quick kill and food for my family. Seems all good to me. You can disagree of course, beauty of this great country.

No anti handgun hunting laws in NC, 100% legal and my shot 100% effective.

Bang.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
.357 works just fine on deer sized critters if you do your part; it works even better out of carbine. I've shot a couple of deer and hogs with various .357s over the years and haven't lost any of them. My usual load is a 158gr soft point at around 1400fps out of my Ruger GP100 6".

Yes. I am now considering picking up another 357 carbine, as I sold my Winchester a while back. we'll see. Would love to hit up a hog hunt at some point, just have never had the opportunity.

John

Malamute

Observer
Cool that you got the deer with your pistol. Hunting small game with a handgun is great practice. Deer aren't too hard when you have rabbits and squirrels down pat.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Cool that you got the deer with your pistol. Hunting small game with a handgun is great practice. Deer aren't too hard when you have rabbits and squirrels down pat.

Right about that. We enjoy squirrel on a regular basis, mostly in stews. My wife's favorite is our Henry lever action 22 with a cheapo scope... where we live she can walk out the kitchen door and bang off enough squirrels for a good stew... good times and as you note, great practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94