F150 overland build

kodiak-black

Observer
Good to know the axles are out there, but for me at $2500 there's a lot of other things I would address first with that kind of cash. When traveling in remote areas I'm pretty easy on my equipment. I figure these trucks are pretty durable off the lot. A little skinny pedal caution goes a long way for me.

Raul B

Explorer
Had a great morning modding. i was able to remove my steps, install and wire up my CB radio, blacked out my badges and installed my smoked Recon LED taillights. next up is blacking out the rest of the chrome on my truck and installing the graphics

IMG_1635_zpsfcb931da.jpg

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Looks good. Steps is one of the first thing to go on my trucks. For me it is no problem getting in or out without them I just have to give the wife a boost getting in.

Last edited:

Big50

Adventurer
Truck looks great! Really like that color.

I agree truck looks better without side steps. I've kept mine since they provide a lot of protection from debris kicked up by the front tires. Something to consider while running negative offset wheels.

They also provide protection from door dings.

kodiak-black

Observer
Your truck looks great. I was wondering how and if the winch would weigh down the front end. It doesn't look like it but it's hard to tell from that angle. Did the weight of the winch effect the front? Do you feel the extra weight when stopping?

heehawhardy

Adventurering
Love this truck! All function and no bling-bling (all the locals here love there shine)...keep it up :two thumbs up:

wcdu

Observer
Great looking build. I am moving in a very similar direction. Could you share more about how you intend on blacking out your chrome and shiny stuff?

Thanks in advance,

wcdu

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Truck is looking great!

I'd suggest a few things though - move the license plate up a bit so it doesn't get mangled - and maybe consider something like the Factor 55 ProLink so you don't need to have the winch line exposed over the front lower edge of the bumper down to the tow hooks.

Here's mine:

1506295_10151901382387647_2116557395_o.jpg

Raul B

Explorer
Great looking build. I am moving in a very similar direction. Could you share more about how you intend on blacking out your chrome and shiny stuff?

Thanks in advance,

wcdu
im just going to plasti dip it for now.. ill be building some custom front and rear bumpers... as for the grill im either going to look for an XL grill or have it color matched to my truck (whatever is cheaper)

Raul B

Explorer
so today im going to get started on the rack.. or at least start doing some measuring.... I had some takeoff fence material from a job site i did and have about 200 feet of fence... it seems like its the perfect material to start off with since i already have it and its free... i pulled this one and its pretty much the exact size i want.. it just needs to be squared off.
IMG_9804_zps09812bbd.jpg

i didnt have a real good way to make some perfect 45 degree angles so i did this instead
IMG_9805_zps2f2b04d2.jpg

im not the best at welding but i wanted to see what you guys thought of these welds...
IMG_9806_zps5f1b7288.jpg

i put the rack on top of the truck to see how it would look.. all i had was some spare 4x4's so its sitting a lil higher than i want but it gives you an idea of how it would look.
IMG_9809_zps78137bb3.jpg

IMG_9808_zpsdff13d93.jpg

i still have a lot of work to do. i need to add the sides to it, creating a mounting system and also make an internal cage inside the shell to support the weight.

let me know what you guys think

Raul B

Explorer
ok so i still felt like the rack was too wide so i decided to just ditch what i already had and start fresh.

it was about 2+ hours of grinding and cutting and about 1 hour of measuring and welding.
20140216_163608_zps789c45c9.jpg

i also have a ton of these round 1/4" thick pieces from an old job so i deced to make my corner peices out of it. not only will this help square off the edges but this is also where the mounts are attaching too from the top of the cab.
20140216_160301_zpse117850d.jpg

20140216_163614_zpsf42fdadb.jpg

all 4 corners in place
20140216_183112_zps783ff06c.jpg

this is what the welds look like. i thought i was going to have a hard time welding 2 different thickness but after a little adjusting i think i did pretty good
20140216_183127_zpsfe9101c0.jpg

next up is cutting and grinding up some more square tubing so that i can make cross braces and all the sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles