1990 V3500 CrewCab build

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
So I decided to go ahead and build my old CrewCab 1 Ton Chevy. Its a 1990, Square straight axle body style(best one IMO), dana 60 front, 14 bff rear, 4.10 gears, np205 tcase, th400 tranny, 6.2 Diesel. This truck literally fell into my hands after noticed that it had been sitting for awhile unmoved in a buisness parking lot. I called the company and he said that it was stuck in Low range and to just make an offer. So I said $500 and he said come get the title. Anyway upon actually getting the truck I had it out of low in about 5 minutes and its a rust free straight truck. So yeah it was a great deal. Anyway I just installed 6" springs front and rear along with shocks, brake line extensions etc etc and I changed the steering box to a 2wd style and got a full hi-steer kit from Blue Torch Fabrication. I also have some really nice 38.5"x16" Mickey Thompson Claw tires to mount this weekend. Even though ive gone pretty big on lift and tires im not building this truck to be an offroad monster. Its going to be a family camping/ mild exploration rig as I have 3 small boys and a wife. Next is bumper, Winch, paint job and probably some deeper gears to help the 6.2 push those big ol tires. If the motor ever blows up im just gonna swap in a Cummins motor and it will be the perfect truck. I will include pics in a little while. I love these trucks and I love the CUCV trucks also. I believe that component for component the chevy one tons of this era were the toughest trucks ever factory built.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow, :Wow1:sounds like a cool vehicle. I agree with the above poster. We need to see some pics.....:)

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
Pics are coming soon I promise!!. Anyway I had an Epiphany today after watching fred williams building his Alabama Army truck. He took an old cucv, which I absolutely love those trucks, and lifted it 6" and is running some 38's. Same bodystyle as mine just a regular cab. Anyhow I want one so bad because they just look so damn cool but with my large family a reg cab wont cut it so It hit me......i basically have a cucv but its a civilian model, only difference is I have a crewcab, 4.10 gears, and a better np205 tcase than a cucv so why dont I just turn my truck into a crewcab cucv!!. Paint it OD green, get some cucv front and rear bumpers, and throw some white stenciling on the truck. I think its a cool idea and unique because they dont offer the chevy cucv's in a crewcab and people in the know would be scratching their heads plus I get the look Im wanting. A few buddies actually have parts cucv's and said I could have what I needed.

I think The best and most economical solution would be to purchase a CUCV and swap parts and resell it. That would get you the bumperx, the 4:56 gears you need. Find an m1028 and you would get a track loc in the front as well.

Bojak

Adventurer
I'm in. Kind of dig the V3500s. I like the CUCV plan. Go ahead and drop the caddy motor in it too while you are at it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387247358.257306.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EricU

Observer
So I decided to go ahead and build my old CrewCab 1 Ton Chevy...

• Is your truck a dually or single rear set up?

I used to use the old 454 versions of that truck (duallys) as work trucks (contractor) and loved them!! Not problem putting three tons (yes tons) of rebar up on the rack.

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
Well finding and buying a used cucv around these parts would cost me $2000-3500 so it aint worth it to me to pay that much just to basically get the 4.56 gears. I have a few buddies with parts cucv's so Ill get the bumpers for free anyhow. Yes, someday when this 6.2 takes a crap on me id either put a cummins into it or a Vortec gas motor. I love the 6.2 but hate the 6.2 at same time, if you own one you understand.

Nice red crewcab BTW, clean!!

Im trying to figure out how to post pics from my smart phone but dont know how.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles