Montero vs. Trooper

Jamacee

Observer
For real BigSwede. The Monty's are bigger than the Troopers and according to Fuelly the 98-00 monty's are averaging around 17 which is combined. So maybe they get into the 20's on the hwy. However the Troopers are posting up better numbers.

For real BigSwede. The Monty's are bigger than the Troopers and according to Fuelly the 98-00 monty's are averaging around 17 which is combined. So maybe they get into the 20's on the hwy. However the Troopers are posting up better numbers.

I stand by my numbers and assure you they are accurate. I am anal when it come to tracking this stuff because I have a small business and I report mileage for taxes. I never once saw a tank below 20mpg. I only speak from first hand experience. If you think your second or third hand experience is more accurate that's fine, but I know the truth. My first gen Montero sucked when it came to mpg's and my gen II.5 achieved fantastic mpg.

As with all vehicles, MPG are largely dependent on the driver. If you are an average driver like me and you don't drive it like you stole it you will get fantastic mpgs.

Hope this helps.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
As a Montero SR owner, as well as an owner of an LX450, a G500, and some other body-on-frame trucks over the years, I wanted to point out that 20MPG+ on a mid-90's Montero SR is completely inaccurate, totally impossible, and absolutely mis-information.

Body-on-frame trucks with poor aerodynamics weighing 4500lbs+ with larger motors and heavy off-road tires just can't do it. Unibody SUV's can, but real trucks cannot. Maybe in the year 2050.

Actually, let me say that you can probably get 20MPG+ if you tow it to the top of a hill, let the engine idle, put the transmission in Neutral, and roll down the hill.

If you actually drive the thing like any normal person, you will experience mid to high teens MPG, but not better than 17-18MPG.

Fact. Not fiction.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Heh, yeah...my Trooper has gotten 20 mpg on rare occasion, but never higher than that. And a Montero is very similar to a Trooper.

mapper

Explorer
My 98 montero winter package, fully loaded for travel, with a roof box and riding on 31x10.5s Hankook ATs can get 18 mpg cruising at 75mph...without a head wind. It's got almost 190k on it. I've done about 4000 miles of traveling with it this month and the average has been between 17-18 mpg over the course of those miles. I've had 19+ while driving mostly state highways at about 65 mph, and one tank as low as 14 in hilly country (WA scablands) with almost of full tank of interstate driving with a nasty headwind. If I set cruise around 65-70 on an interstate, without a headwind, I could probably get 20 mpgs...but driving that slow would not be normal...and would be a rare occasion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior