Montero vs. Trooper

Jamacee

Observer
Hey All,

Ok so I have been looking for a good DD/exp platform on a LOW budget. I am a toyota guy at heart but have come to really love the troopers.

I have also been looking at the monteros and have been really surprised at what all you get on a SR gen 2/2.5's

So here is my problem.

I found a 94 Montero SR w/ 211k loaded w/ lockers and 3rd row seats for my family of 5 for $1800 - Needs passenger window switch and possibly new catalytic converter and new fuel pump.

Then there is a 1996 Trooper 3.2L, 5spd, 4wd base model with 132k - guys says it does burn a little oil and has the lifter tap that all isuzus I have seen have. This guy is asking 2750 and won't budge. I have offered him 2500 several times.

What to do?

I have never had a monty but I do like them. I also really love the troopers and look and look for 5spds and low miles.

Y'all have any wisdom?

I would be patient and continue to look for the right vehicle. I would lean toward the Montero because they seat 7 and I think they have stronger components, particularly when it comes to the front end and engine. I have owned several Montero's and I have always been very pleased because they are tough as nails and they are very well thought out vehicles. Surprisingly the Montero has similar build quality to my Mercedes G500. I too was a Toyota guy at heart for years and still have a gorgeous 1994 SR5 extended cab pickup. Over the years I have had two 1996 LX450's but I liked my Gen II.5 Montero better because it seemed to suit my needs better and it made a much better daily driver. I of saw 24MPG on the open road while my LX450's always got 13MPG no matter what. The worst I ever saw in my Gen II.5 Montero was 20MPG with mostly city driving.

Last edited:

DVE

Personally out of those 2, Montero hands down. The trooper is way overpriced, especially if the owner admits that it burns oil. When you look for that age, and somewhat rare trucks, you might want to broaden your search also.

Jamacee

Observer
I just drove the the trooper and will have to pass on it. I know that there is usually a little lifter noise but this sounded like a box of rocks at acceleration. I still need to go look at the Monty.

I will say if I could find a 3.5L/5spd/4wd trooper I would probably jump on it.

I am needing to be patient I feel. I am selling my 00 Tundra 4wd to fund this little lateral move. So I am not just going to take whatever.

The montero is very intriguing to me but the miles and the history has me on the fence.

Montero ?'s:

Is it true that to change a fuel pump in a monty you do not need to drop the gas tank?
Cost of Fuel pumps?
Was there a harmonic balancer bolt issue common to the 3.5L
Is a 94 a Gen 2.5? or Gen2?

I probably should move over to the Mitsu side of portal to ask those questions.

Thanks for the info so far.

The true generation age and models are not clearly defined but I would say a 1994-1996 is a Gen II. The 1998-2000 is a Gen II.5. The 1992-1993 models we also Gen II Montero's but they did not have the larger 3.5 motor. The 1997 had the Gen II body with the Gen II.5 SOHC engine. I think the best year was the 1998 because of the SOHC engine, 4.2 gears, rear locker option, upgraded leather, and Gen II.5 body.

The harmonic balancer bolt is not a common issue.

The cost of the fuel pump is not cheap, it is like 500 bucks. I really doubt it is a fuel pump. If I recall correctly you do have to pull the tank but I am not the one to ask because I am more of a diesel expert.

At the end of the day it's not a tough repair. Mitsubishi's are really easy to fix.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I just drove the the trooper and will have to pass on it. I know that there is usually a little lifter noise but this sounded like a box of rocks at acceleration.
A sound like a rod knock can be nothing more than a timing belt tensioner. Key diagnostic is if the sound goes away at higher rpms.

Jamacee

Observer
BigSwede if I remember it was loudest when shifting from 1st-3rd as the you pressed the gas and then would even out. It still was super loud. I do think all in all there were a lot of little things that needed to be done. So at $2500 - base 96 trooper, no G80, manual which is good but pulled from another trooper since original one would not come out of 4th or something, 132k which was a plus, cracked sideview, cracked windshield, missing carpet in rear, missing trim across roof line, broken front seat, etc. ,then the sound of that motor I decided to pass.

There is another Trooper I am going to go look at (I also posted about on planet) 98 w/ a manual but 235k - original owner since 99 all service records. 2k obo.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
BigSwede if I remember it was loudest when shifting from 1st-3rd as the you pressed the gas and then would even out. It still was super loud. I do think all in all there were a lot of little things that needed to be done. So at $2500 - base 96 trooper, no G80, manual which is good but pulled from another trooper since original one would not come out of 4th or something, 132k which was a plus, cracked sideview, cracked windshield, missing carpet in rear, missing trim across roof line, broken front seat, etc. ,then the sound of that motor I decided to pass.
Yeah I probably would too. At $1500 I might take a second look...

There is another Trooper I am going to go look at (I also posted about on planet) 98 w/ a manual but 235k - original owner since 99 all service records. 2k obo.
Lotta miles, but it is very valuable to know it has been taken care of, that alleviates much of the concern over miles.

Jamacee

Observer
Well looks like the black 98 3.5/5spd with 230k is getting sold to his neighbor for $2k FAWK!

I think I am disappointed mostly b/c we discussed 1600 and then I have a Craigslist parts list waiting in my favorites (snowflakes, corbeau seats, ARB bumper, roof rack, winch,little passengers 3rd row). And I would still have a grand leftover rom selling my tundra. However now that is totally foiled.

Back to searching. Now I can't seem to stop from wanting a 3.5/5spd and then just swap in the axel and front chunk later.

Tons of auto's but I had one and really really want manual.

Still looking at some Monty SR's but I like the MPG's of the troopers better.

Still looking at some Monty SR's but I like the MPG's of the troopers better.

I think you are a bit miss informed about the MPG's. The Gen II.5 Montero's will get around 22-24 mpg on the freeway. Also I am a die hard fan of manual transmissions, but the Aisin transmission in the Montero is a fantastic tranny. It is smooth shifting and it always feels like it is in the right gear.

Jamacee

Observer
Everything I read on the Monty's I thought was around 13-15mpg's? 20-24? No way?!

Remind me what years were gen2 and gen2.5?

Is 2.5 anything with the 3.5 motor?

My first gen 1991 Montero consistently averaged 16mpg with 31" tires. It had the 143hp 3.0 litre V6 and the lockup auto tranny. My 2000 Gen II.5 never got below 20mpg even in city driving. It had the 3.5 litre V6 with the auto tranny 31" tires. I have never heard of someone only getting 13-15 out of the gen II.5. I know many members on this forum that ride on 32-33" tires and still average well over 20mpg on the freeway. From members I have spoken with those that ride on 37" tires are still getting 15-16 mpg out of the gen II.5. I think Fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov are good resources but they can be way off with these older vehicles due to many factors, particularly poor maintenance. FWIW my 2009 Jetta TDI only averages 34mpg and expected it to do much better. But recently on a 2400 mile road trip it averaged 46mpg after I put some injector cleaner in it.

Just trust me, if a gen II.5 (1998-2000) Montero, you can expect to get 20+ mpg. If you are not getting 20+ mpg then something is wrong and it needs to be addressed. You can also get a 1997 Montero, it has the gen II body but gen II.5 drivetrain and running gear so it should get excellent mpg's as well.

Oh, I forgot to mention all these mpg numbers I am reporting are 4000 ft above see level. I also had a huge roof top tent which I am sure did not help. I am certain higher mpg's are attainable if I used premium fuel, removed the tent and added a tune up.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have to admit I am skeptical that a heavy, body on frame SUV like that can get over 20 mpg. That would be the first one I have heard of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior