What are some narrow, low-profile pop-up campers you'd recommend for a quad-cab 8'?

Sentinelist

Adventurer
You can see the truck in my signature, but I'm trying to find a pop-up that isn't going to be eleventy feet taller than my cab, or even hang off the back. I'm also looking at hard-sides like a Lance 815, but are the construction and thermal properties of a hard-side worthwhile? Note that I'm attempting to lure my wife into 'camping' with this. She's getting there...

Requirements: fits inside an 8' GMT400 box where I can close the tailgate- I like the 'front porch' idea for that, but I'm mildly interested in the '.5' systems with their own taillights, etc. Has a shower and toilet. Has at least a full-size or queen bed over the cab and makes good use of the 4-dr cab's space. Doesn't hang more than a foot off the sides of the truck. A nice bonus would be a sliding bulkhead window to get into the truck.

The kicker: my budget, of about $5-7k, used obviously. While slightly flexible, I'm looking for a good unit 20-yrs old or newer and would travel across the CONUS to get it. After looking at a few sites online, this range seems reasonable. Northstars seem to be about the right size and have been recommended, but I haven't found one yet. I've been told to stay away from Palominos. Am interested in Alaskans and other odd-ball stuff, but my intent is to get a normal looking truck camper with straight lines that match my truck. I plan to paint it and the truck to match- a military tan. Btw, the rig will not see any heavy off-road duty beyond something like a mild logging road pass or crossing a ditch/highway median/shoulder. I'm hoping to permanently mount it to the bed/frame and not use any external attachments if possible.

Thanks!

mkish

Adventurer
The Northstars as you know are a slight bit more posh than the FWC and ATCs (if you're trying to appeal to a non-camping spouse) but the latter are probably more rugged and certainly lower profile.

I know people use the tailgate as a porch but the mechanics of getting in and out through the short door probably make it more comfortable to not have a porch at tailgate level. I suspect you'd get used to anything you have though.

If you do look at hardsides, most of the Northstars are narrow and lack basements, just like their popups. Still huge to my eye, but not compared to many.

Sounds like a fun project, but unless the truck needs new paint, I'd paint just the camper and go blue and white all over. It's classic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles