White river wildlife

kevin

Observer
Hi, Just returned from a short three day two night trip in the white river wildlife area of Oregon. This is located about 90 miles east of Portland. We had great weather, 75 to 80 degrees, wich is is not uncomon in that area even this late in the year. The pictures posted here are typical terrain for this high desert region. Road conditions were dry and dusty, at times visibility was very poor due to the dust. This was my first chance to test out the new suspension and tires on the trooper. I was very pleased with the performance of both. More details to follow.

Attachments

• white river wildlife 021.jpg
    white river wildlife 021.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 79
  • white river wildlife 015.jpg
    white river wildlife 015.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 70
  • white river wildlife 004.jpg
    white river wildlife 004.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 72
  • white river wildlife 008.jpg
    white river wildlife 008.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 81
  • white river wildlife 012.jpg
    white river wildlife 012.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 82

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Very nice. What altitude is the area?

Attachments

• Jaguar_1962_XKE.jpg
    Jaguar_1962_XKE.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1
  • San_Francisco_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg
    San_Francisco_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1
  • murph on the way.jpg
    murph on the way.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Tonopah.jpg
    Tonopah.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_9253.jpg
    DSC_9253.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9422.jpg
    DSC_9422.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9429.jpg
    DSC_9429.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9127.jpg
    DSC_9127.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9240.jpg
    DSC_9240.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9530.jpg
    DSC_9530.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9941.jpg
    DSC_9941.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9925.jpg
    DSC_9925.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9488.jpg
    DSC_9488.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 0

Scott Brady

Founder
Just awesome... Oregon is a fantastic place. Several years ago, I took a drive around Oregon, and just fell in love with the scenery. Mount Hood calls to me to climb her icy flanks often.

Attachments

• IMG_8225EP.jpg
    IMG_8225EP.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Nice! Neat looking country. That last photo is intriguing... any idea what it is? Cool body style!

kevin

Observer
The altitude at first nights camp was 2320 ft, I did not check altitude after that point. The route was up and down alot but most likely averaged around 2,000 ft. The view is of Mt. Hood, but of its East slope, this is the opposite view that you would see from Portland. Mt. Hood is a decieving climb, it stands 11,249 ft tall. I am training to climb it, hopefully in June of next year with a guided group.
I have hiked portions of the cooper spur trail that goes to the summitt. At around 8500 ft you reach Elliot Glacier. It is almost indescribable to be standing on dry ground and with your hand touch the glacier that extends for miles. At times you can hear it pop and creak as it moves. Sadly that point is where I turned around, as venturing out on the glacier without ropes and crampons and an experienced guide is very dangerous. As to the last picture in the group, I have no ides what it is. It had many gears and sprockets that ran off of the wheels, the inside seemed to be made up of levels and various sized holes and screen. My best guess is that it was used for harvesting crops.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
kevin said:
Mt. Hood is a decieving climb, it stands 11,249 ft tall. I am training to climb it, hopefully in June of next year with a guided group.

Oh really... Now I am getting excited! What are the guide costs?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Hi Guys.....

I've been over at 4WDTrips for a while now. Thought I might as well show up here too!.....since all the Kewl guys are here!....hehe :wavey:

Here is a pic I took of Mt. Hood Summer of 2004 looking north over Lake Trillium!

I was visiting friends in Portland and decided to take a day trip to the Mt. Hood area where I had played when I was a young boy.

The Timberline Lodge would be a fun place to stay while in the area....it's backdoor view is da WHOLE Mountain!

The mountain looks tame from the Lodge......but lots of folks get lost up there.....freak storms blow in and people die! ....even rescue helicopters crash from the winds that swirl around the mtn.

But don't let that scare you off......anyone with common sense, experience and the right equipment can do the mtn.

I have never climbed it....just played on it's slopes. ;)

Mtn. Info Linky: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mthood/recreation/climbing/index.shtml

.............oops! ......sorry!.....I had no idea that pic was going to show up that HUGE! (it's kinda kewl though!) ....still learning the tricks of posting on these sites.

Attachments

• File0029.jpg
    File0029.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles