My modified ZJ thread.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
I've thought over the years that I should probably do a build thread like everyone else. Then I realized that I was not building anything. "Jeeps are built, not bought" Ok, whatever. I did not build my jeep, but I am modifying it.

My thought process in this was to have the amenities I want, while still keeping to stock looks as much as possible. Everything that I put on, I want to be able to take off. The second part of "the build" is that we are a single income family, so anything that gets changed needs to be done with $ in mind. Unlike some people on the forums, I can't throw a bunch of money at this thing. I need to make the best combination between cost and quality. Sometimes that may mean some high quality parts, sometimes it means I am going to be re-soldering some stuff...

Did I mention I live in MO? That means that I am not going on trails all the time. While I dream of living in some of these areas, I cannot justify a build that tackles the Rubicon with ease. Probably never going to happen...

How it started in 2009, stock 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2 Limited, np249 Quadra drive, 245/70/16 Goodyear Forteras (loved those for road tires).
IMG_0677.jpg

It actually stayed that way for quite a while (unfortunately). I added some front tow hooks for $40 off of Jeepforum but that was about it.

Over the years I did have to make some repairs: power steering pulley, water pump, thermostat, a/c bearings, motor and transmission mounts, liftgate struts, a/c drain leak fixed, re-soldered lift gate switch, headlight switch, sunroof switch( Jeez-la-weez Chrysler...), etc.

39210_1476915956381_1339291_n.jpg

Regular maintenance: plugs and wires, all fluids, cleaned/painted diff covers

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
cont'd

Last year I got the exploration bug and decided that enough was enough. I'm going to start to modify my jeep for what I want it to be. I'd been lurking at jeepforum for years drooling over the lifted jeeps and then caught wind of Expo. I then knew I was hooked.

I knew I needed new shocks, so why not add a lift? Used spacers in the front, rancho springs in the back, JKS disco links up front, new sway bar bushings, new steering stablilizer, procomp es 9000's all that way around. I was pretty stoked.

20130217_145021.jpg

20130211_171014.jpg

20130218_161855.jpg

20130303_130813.jpg

20130311_163936.jpg

20130311_164000.jpg

She also got some new shoes: Old vs new.

20130311_164249.jpg

20130301_124207.jpg

Last edited:

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
cont'd

I had picked up 3 new roof racks from Advance Auto for $5 each on a super weird markdown on their website. Sold one for $90, another for a $150 worth of flooring, and kept the last one. I then wanted to install it for a trip, but it was noisy. Figured I would add a fairing. Asked for some advice here and this is what I ended up with.

20130507_104036.jpg

20130507_104047.jpg

20130507_104055.jpg

20130507_104925.jpg

I scavenged some nice white lexan that will be replacing the wood, just not till spring! I also want to explore some ways to lower the mounting of the rack. Possibly b replacing the cross braces with some 1/2" square tubing.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
cont'd

Then I started on my rear tire carrier. Man, did I want the seemingly giant tire out of the rear cargo area. It just takes up TOO much space. I wanted something that I could take off and sell or move to a different ZJ if I needed. I didn't want to ruin the stock bumper. Luckily for me my father has been a machinist longer than my 32 years. He had some advice on my designs and this is what we ended up with. It decreased my departure angle a little, but also added some protection for my rear bumper. The spindle is from A-to-Z Fabrication. I wanted the tire far enough away that I could use the rear glass, but I think I want to lower it and tuck it in a bit more.

Tire Carrier (1).jpg

Tire Carrier (4).jpg

Tire Carrier (10).jpg

Tire Carrier (12).jpg

Tire Carrier (14).jpg

Tire Carrier (16).jpg

Tire Carrier (17).jpg

088 (960x1280).jpg

087 (960x1280).jpg

I know I have some more pics, I'll have to find them. I used 1/2" plate and bolted it to the vertical walls of the hitch where it mounts to the frame. This way I can unbolt and sell the Jeep as needed (not likely). Behind the license plate is a box to hold my fuel can as seen here:

DSCF0464.jpg

This tire carrier is not a replacement for a rear bumper. While I could probably safely use it in a straight pull, I do not trust it in a lateral pull. My rear recovery is my hitch.

I'm not pleased with the latch system and want something that keeps it from shifting when I'm taking off.

Yeah! another ZJ, there seems to be a fever of these things going around! Welcome to the forum and I will staying tune to see more! By the way, I have a mini-me of your ZJ, here next to my desktop computer! :wings:

IMAG0046.jpg

DarinM

Explorer
The in-laws gave us their 97. I've been working my way through the litany of repairs as well. Got it running mostly well, most of the time. Next will be a small lift, but that's way down the road. Got a kid coming in June that's going to be the resource priority for quite some time. I like what you're doing with yours - especially like the tire carrier. I'd like something like that as well.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
The in-laws gave us their 97. I've been working my way through the litany of repairs as well. Got it running mostly well, most of the time. Next will be a small lift, but that's way down the road. Got a kid coming in June that's going to be the resource priority for quite some time. I like what you're doing with yours - especially like the tire carrier. I'd like something like that as well.

Sounds like what I had to go through. Only took me a few years! Our main issue is that we do not have a place within 1.5 hours to wheel, and those places are usually tucked in the woods. I prefer the wide open wheeling of the mountains or desert areas. Most people around here think that going off road means to find a mud pit. I hate mud...

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
cont'd

Drawer/Storage- pulled from the storage thread.

I wanted something cheap and effective (just like me:xxrotflma) and easily removable. All in I think I have less than $10 into the build. I used materials I had lying around and even painted them with leftover interior house paint. I took pics during the build but don't have any with me. I have turnbuckles for mounting them, but I'm not finding any good anchors without drilling into the floor. Right now they are wedged with the hatch is closed due to the angle of the backseat. I want to use some heavy webbing instead, but it's too cold outside for me to care very much.

Because of the latch system on the tailgate of the zj, I had to raise the platform off of the floor so that the drawer could clear the molding. I can add more pics later if requested, but I simply built a box frame with one middle brace. I didn't like losing the space, but at least I can pull the drawer out and hide items under the drawer if I needed, as long as they are about 1" tall.

The drawer does not have any slides because they take up so much interior space. However, the drawer does slide out ~97% of the way and will not fall out due to the way I constructed them. A little candle wax on the moving wood is really all that is needed to help it along. My 5 year old won't be getting it open, but my wife and I have no issues.

Not sure what to do with my compressor and jumppack in this configuration. Just not much room for them. W

View attachment 201506

View attachment 201507

View attachment 201508

View attachment 201505

On top I added some slides that were given to me for a slide out platform that I use to mount my full size food cooler, 7 gallon water jug, and small drink cooler. I mount the food cooler on the back of the slide. The slide it can extend all the way out and I am able to open the cooler lid without hitting the hatch. Right now I am using some thick rope to secure the coolers to the eyebolts for quick release and $aving$. I use a small hitch pin to keep it from sliding open.

I utilize the space under the slide by storing a homemade table that has 4 screw in legs seen here:

View attachment 201509

The open cavity on the pass side houses 3 of our 4 kelty cubes that we use for luggage on trips; right now it is stroller storage. I then strap our supply tubs, seen in the pic above, on top and off we go. I no longer have to take things out that I don't need, just to access what I do need. However, we do have to use the roof rack to store our tent and bedding. The ZJ just doesn't have enough interior storage for 4 people and all our camping gear. I'm considering a roof cargo system vs. rack/basket.

I'll post a pic of system all packed up when I get a chance.

wjgc

I really like the practical aspect you're in line with on your zj. Thanks for posting pics of the tire carrier. Would you change anything with it other than the latch?

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
If I were not concerned with keeping the stock bumper I would have done it differently.

As far as the current set up goes I want to lower and tuck the spare closer to the hatch.

I would have put the safety pin that locks it closed and at 90° on the inside vs outside of the hinge.

The only thing I would have wanted is to add some d rings, but it wasn't designed for that. The sleeve on the spindle wasn't as heavy as I was expecting, but not a problem. I haven't smacked it on anything yet, so I don't' have any experience with damage.

If I needed a new hitch I would have to re mount the carrier, but since it's a class 5 I shouldn't have any issues.

It's a bit heavy so the rear springs are sagging a bit so I need to raise it back up to level it.

The main thing is that it fits my requirements. I wasn't looking for a heavy bumper, I wanted to keep the stock bumper, and get the spare out of the cargo area. At this point all I would have to do is place a jack under it and unbolt 6 bolts to take it off. I think it looks pretty good to! The plan was to go with it for awhile, make any changes, and then powder coat it. But honestly, I'm not sure it needs it. It's very easy to repaint any scuffs or dings.

My dad stated that when we were finished that I would not need to worry about it not being heavy duty enough because he purposely over built it.

If anyone wants more detailed pics just let me know.

My rear tire carrier follows your home-made one, as far as the REMOVABLE TYPE & OVERBUILT, I love it! I however have decided to run a total of 6 tires, so the other is still mounted inside as the factory type was. I could not be more happier! I have yet to build some extra on it, though. I am in the :chef: progress of doing such as an over the tire basket and x2 jerry can holders on the right side of the 31" tire.

Attachments

• IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 43

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles