My modified ZJ thread.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
My rear tire carrier follows your home-made one, as far as the REMOVABLE TYPE & OVERBUILT, I love it! I however have decided to run a total of 6 tires, so the other is still mounted inside as the factory type was. I could not be more happier! I have yet to build some extra on it, though. I am in the :chef: progress of doing such as an over the tire basket and x2 jerry can holders on the right side of the 31" tire.

I always liked the blue over gray. Is that an oem carrier?

xjman88

Adventurer
Nice build on your zj. Its nice to see another one modded for expo wheeling. I m on my 2nd zj. Love em. And nice color.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Update.

I haven't updated the thread in awhile.

I also haven't put much work into the ZJ. What I have done is raise the rear to level it out using 1.75" pucks and taking out the oem spring isolators. I have also replaced the radiator and power steering pump. I am actually quite irritated by the engineers (again) because of the plastic pulley. The last one shattered a couple of years ago. While placing the current pulley on the new pump I realized it was cracked.

2014-05-12 19.13.21.jpg

No one in town had anything but the same China stamped plastic pulley. While installing a new one the pump slipped about 6" and chipped the new pulley. ANOTHER new pulley later everything is up and running. I'm going to look into getting a metal pulley from a 93-95 and see if it is the same. This is what I recommendwhen messing with those cheap plastic pulleys.

2014-05-12 19.13.31.jpg

I have also been tinkering with a car tablet. This is my install. I used a previous mounting point and added a motorola cb mic holder, a firestick mic button recessed into a piece of wood, some Velcro and some paint. All in, not counting what I had lying around, about $9.

2014-05-14 12.47.04.jpg

2014-05-14 12.46.41.jpg

I added the velcro so I could take the wood off when not using it. However, I found that the added grip area is a huge plus on normal tableting. Is that a verb?

2014-05-14 12.43.48.jpg

2014-05-14 12.46.21.jpg

I can also close the Fintie case for a little extra protection from prying eyes.

2014-05-14 12.45.00.jpg

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Upcoming repair/upgrade.
my4ejaga.jpg

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

xjman88

Adventurer
You will enjoy the 242 t case. It works great in all terrain and driving conditions. Im definitely gonna watch this build.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
At this point I decided to tear the case down to replace seals and check bearings.
uba2ure8.jpg

I found a crap load of rtv in the case. This was stuck in the fork springs
py9ama4a.jpg

The pile on the right was stuck to the oil tube filter. The rest was just floating around.
jyjy8e7e.jpg

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Transfer Case woes.

Man. When we were driving home from Colorado last year I thought I detected a viscous coupling issue. Turns out I was right. However, I didn't know what I was in for when I decided to replace the 249 with a 242. Here they are side by side:
2014-06-22 19.01.05.jpg

The only issues I had was getting to new case back in. I had some help holding it up, but we couldn't seem to fit it back in. The splines were aligned as well as the bolt holes, but the bearing retainer was not sliding in. Good thing it didn't fit. I realized that I had put a seal in backwards. Oops. After taking it the seal out and re installing it I tried it the next day. Along with some help we were able to use the bolts to pull it in. At this point I have a little bit of tranny fluid leaking, but I'm not sure how much and if the new rear output seal was damaged in the install.

After that I had to get the front drive shaft shortened. I dropped it off and thankfully called them before picking it up the next day. The driveline guy said he had no knowledge of my shaft being dropped off. Turns out the front counter guy had placed it on the guy's desk after hours and that is where the driveline guy stores the old one to recycle....Really?? Anyways, they banged it out pretty quickly and had it done before I got there. The paint was still tacky to the touch!
2014-07-01 12.58.41.jpg

I prefer the internal lip yoke of the 249. I wonder if the housing would attach to the 242?

2014-07-01 12.58.52.jpg

After getting everything put together I tested all the options on the t case and it is good to go. It is louder than the 249, which to me is strange. However, I have asked around and it seems to be the consensus that the noise is normal.

2014-07-01 12.57.25.jpg

I wanted to buy an oem visor sticker / decal for the np242 Selec-Trac transfer case options so that my wife would know which one to use at what time. Instead, I used excel and made my own. I then printed and laminated it, then attached it to the pass side visor. Anyone can have View attachment NP242 Selec-Trac Visor Sticker.xls if they want it.

I then took the zjeep to Cottman's transmission because it looked like the motor mounts installed last year had broken. They said the rubber ripping from the main support portion was normal. They also said the rpm drop that I have been experiencing was the torque converter stalling. HOwever, they made it seem like it was ok. I'm not sold on that yet. While I was out I dropped by Budget Muffler because my sister had decided to take the jeep out on the farm and broke something in the muffler. Apparently I had a 2 year warranty so, voila! Shiny new muffler.

I have some stuff on order that I will be adding soon.

K2ZJ

Explorer
You had to get the front drive shaft shortened? And, yes you can swap parts from one case to the other. I am guessing you shortened the rear, (that is what you took a picture of) to fit it on that long output shaft. I know this is late, but you could have used that stock shaft if you swapped tail housings and output shafts. Nice job on the shift bezel.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
I did shorten the rear, the front fit fine.

Since the donor was a 96, the input and front half of the case did not have to be swapped. That was the only thing I was aware I could swap out. You are saying the 249 output shaft and tail housing could be swapped in/on the rear case and the gearing of the 242 would fit the 249 shaft? What about just the tail housing?

I didn't want to get the shaft cut, but didn't know of any other way. I also found out after the fact that some ppl use a shaft from a wj that bolts right in.

K2ZJ

Explorer
Ah, I might be wrong on that sorry. I think your right on that, the 242 is different. There may be a way to do it but I don't think it is that easy. That is why there is a different part for slip yoke eliminator kits for the 231 and 242.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
I forgot to mention, when I was taking the 249 out I observed that the vent tube did not have the line attached and that there was dried mud in the inlet and the color of the t case fluid was grey. I'm wondering if this had anything to do with the vc going. It only had about 55k miles on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles