ExploringNH's 2000 Ford Excursion build

dustboy

Explorer
Awesome project, I would do the same if I had any time.

Is that your wood shop? I've got one with a CNC too, seems almost criminal not to use it to build a crazy camper.

Copperhead14

Observer
My wife and I are expecting twins this year. Infant seats stuff and our dog is going to be tight in the unlimited rubicon. I have my eye on an 03 X with 6.0L.

adam88

Explorer
Front bumper is installed! Also did grille and headlights at the same time. Awesome bumpers.

View attachment 211262

View attachment 211263
View attachment 211264View attachment 211265View attachment 211266

Fuel range isn't normally a concern but I have a couple of trips planned this year into North Maine for about a week at a time and we will be needing some extra fuel. I'll probably build something off of the Buckstop rear bumper that holds the spare on one side and a couple of jerry cans on the other side. Right now the Hi-Lift is going to be mounted on the roof rack but it will be nice to have it at bumper height.

That is one clean X. Looks nice.

I don't like how far the tiregate sticks out.

attachment.jpg

I really like buckstop bumpers, but I dislike how the 99-07 bumper is the SAME bumper for them. They didn't bother to design a proper bumper for 05-07. So therefore, the bottom part of the "grille" is covered up (as you can see with yours). It still looks good... and it probably wouldn't bother a normal person, but I have OCD with these types of things and it ticks me off :) Other companies took the time to design a separate bumper for the 05-07. See aluminess photo below, which shows what I mean.

05-07-superduty-front-gallery-image-1.jpg

Steve@316

Excursion Overland
Nice build,.. I noticed you haven't posted in awhile,.. Anything new? I've been a fan of the Excursion since it came out,.. But at the time I was a proud owner of a '98 (1999 model year) Ford F-350 Super-Duty and certainly couldn't justify the Excursion at the time. I just had to wait 16 years to buy one. ;-) Doing a similar project build myself. 2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3L. Here we go!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I've recently been stalking the Excursion forum on ford-trucks.com. And I don't even know why. It's way too big for my needs. My Expedition is too big most of the time. But I just like the Excursions.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I ended up doing some body damage on a trail at the end of last year. It required replacement of both passenger side doors and some serious bodywork on the rear quarter. Combined with the other dents, it was going to cost too much to fix and I couldn't drive the truck anymore and lead trips with it looking like that. I ended up selling it.

I picked up a Porsche Cayenne which was awesome but very small, especially coming from the excursion. Currently I'm looking for something in between. Maybe another Land Rover or a Mercedes g wagen.

RPhil

Adventurer
this truck sold and I didnt hear about it!?!?

what about the pop top, did the project get finished?? Pictures?!?

Another user on ford-trucks forums bought it. If you search ExploringNH's posts over there you can dig up some information about where the project was left off and what the new owner began working on (I know because I have looked all through the threads as inspiration for my Excursion).

I do not recall any notable further pop-top progress, but I could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94