ExploringNH's 2000 Ford Excursion build

ExploringNH

Explorer
that's one bad mamma jamma! I've been watching this build, and it's a large part of what made me decide on an excursion. I considered a V10 for cheap, and then swapping in a cummins, but decided on a bulletproof 6.0. I've got essentially the same lift/tire combo. mine has the block from BDS as the lift though. The block will get replaced at some point with whatever I find to give the best articulation/ride/car-trailer hauling compromise. I haven't had a chance to test it's articulation yet on this setup.

are you planning on building your own roof rack, or buying one and modifying it? plans for spare tire and spare fuel?

Roof rack will be custom built. I have modified the design that I posted above to keep it lower profile. The top of the rack will be completely flat and the LED bar will hang below it on the front.

Spare tire and fuel still need to be figured out. I don't want a 37" spare inside the truck or on the roof rack. It won't fit underneath so that really only leaves the rear bumper. For now it will stay inside. Eventually I might modify the rear bumper to have a tire carrier and fuel storage. The downside of that is it will add more length to the truck.

BnBRacing

cool. I plan to custom build mine too, but I plan to have it about 4" tall for aiding when hauling stuff on longer trips. that'll also let me use a linear actuator to pull the LED bar down to where it's less likely to be stolen.

While it'll still add length, if you make the swing-away tire carrier on the bumper to where it holds the tire as high as you can lift it, then that will help make it to where the tire doesn't hurt your departure angle as much. You could even have room to mount a hi-lift, axe, shovel, chainsaw, and muddy strap box under/beside the tire. That's my plan, so maybe it'll help you justify the extra length.

xbox73

Adventurer
Spare tire and fuel still need to be figured out. I don't want a 37" spare inside the truck or on the roof rack. It won't fit underneath so that really only leaves the rear bumper. For now it will stay inside. Eventually I might modify the rear bumper to have a tire carrier and fuel storage. The downside of that is it will add more length to the truck.

I too have a lifted Excursion ('00 7.3L PSD), and have the same dilemma.

Without mechanical assistance, lifting a 100+ lbs rim & tire 8' up onto a roof rack just isn't practical without at least 3 or 4 burly guys (what I used to have to do); and dumping the wheel inside (what I currently do) also isn't great solution, as it occupies too much interior space. I think a 35" tire would probably fit upright in the original interior location (possibly with removing some of the interior trim & some massaging of the fender well), but I think a 37" tire is just a smidge too large to fit upright in the original interior location, even with some mods. My current plan is also to buy a rear swing away tire carrier (or get one custom built by a friend), that also has space for a few fuel cans or an outside storage box, or both.

I'm not as worried about fuel, as with its cavernous 44 gallon fuel tank, even a lifted Excursion should have ~ 400 mile range, with the diesels having another 100+ miles range above that, due to the greater fuel efficiency of diesel vs. gas.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I ended up using the Tire Gate for all the issues listed above, but towing became an issue…

Attachments

• DSC_0210.JPG
    DSC_0210.JPG
    419.4 KB · Views: 98

ExploringNH

Explorer
Front bumper is installed! Also did grille and headlights at the same time. Awesome bumpers.

Buckstop015.jpg

Buckstop016.jpg
Buckstop017.jpgBuckstop018.jpgBuckstop019.jpg

Fuel range isn't normally a concern but I have a couple of trips planned this year into North Maine for about a week at a time and we will be needing some extra fuel. I'll probably build something off of the Buckstop rear bumper that holds the spare on one side and a couple of jerry cans on the other side. Right now the Hi-Lift is going to be mounted on the roof rack but it will be nice to have it at bumper height.

I ended up using the Tire Gate for all the issues listed above, but towing became an issue…

That is one clean X. Looks nice.

I don't like how far the tiregate sticks out.

Tiregate_HGSeries2.jpg

LuckyHenriksen

I paid $3250 for this one and have about $600 in repairs into it.

A working diesel is $13k+.

That's the only reason.

Ah that makes sense. Truck looks great, you chose a nicely fitting tire/wheel combo. Font end swap looks nice too! Maybe I'll see you running around when I drive through NH this summer

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
If that doesn't scream zombie apocalypse I dont know what does!

Whats the weight of that bumper? When I learned how to drive I used my moms X and continued to use it through High School. I sure do miss the power and size of it!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks- your's is looking sweet!! I had the Buckstop on a previous truck and liked it. This time around I went lighter with an Asfir, which was good as well, albeit 100# lighter.
Keep the build/pics coming- well done!!

ExploringNH

Explorer
The MaxTrax arrived yesterday. I REALLY need to get this up to Third Shift Fab to get the roof rack built! I have the light bar and MaxTrax. I will probably order an awning this week and the Hi-Lift. That is everything that goes on the roof. I think the rack will really complete the look of the truck. I'll need to redesign the rack but overall I think it will look pretty awesome.

I've been slacking off lately. When I bought the truck it was supposed to have new front calipers/rotors/pads. One of the rear calipers seized up shortly after I bought the truck so I replaced both rear calipers/rotors/pads. A few days ago a front caliper seized, so now I have to do front calipers/rotors/pads. I've been waiting on parts and haven't touched the truck for a while. The good news is that it will have all new brake parts and I can be confident in the beast's ability to stop. The bad news is more $$. I went with Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads for the front. Hopefully that will give a little more stopping power than stock. I have always put larger brakes on my trucks but unfortunately, the only thing bigger than these brakes from Ford that might be a bolt-on part is the F450 but they use a different lug pattern.

_MG_6108.jpg

If that doesn't scream zombie apocalypse I dont know what does!

Whats the weight of that bumper? When I learned how to drive I used my moms X and continued to use it through High School. I sure do miss the power and size of it!

I thought I replied to this, but I guess I missed it.

I didn't weigh the old bumpers but I should have. Front and rear bumpers are 405lbs shipping weight. Take out 50lbs or so for the pallet. The rear bumper by my guess is about 100lbs. That leaves about 250lbs for front bumper, plus a 115lb winch.

Stock front stuff probably weighs a good 150lbs all together. The bottom blocker beam is about 50lbs and the bumper itself isn't all that light. Someone told me that the front bumper weighs 45lbs but that was without brackets or anything. 45lbs seems very light for what I pulled off.

So, by my very rough estimates, about 220lbs over stock with winch? With the Zone lift I don't mind the weight. It hasn't been all that noticeable over stock. I'll have to give it some time to break in the springs before I make a final judgment.

The Asfir stuff is nice. I looked at that and Aluminess as well. Reduced weight would certainly be welcome on this truck. I love the front Buckstop. If I had to do it over I would probably get a rear swingout carrier. The rear Buckstop is great and there is nothing wrong with it. I just didn't think of it at the time but now that the truck is coming together, a 37" spare inside the truck takes up a lot of space.

ExploringNH

Explorer
I haven't updated here in a long time.

I finally cut the wire for the stupid key chime. Now I can leave the key in the ignition and not have it dinging non-stop. In a Dodge you can just pull the key out 1/4" and the chime stops. Why can't Ford do the same?

80-photo_1_891cc90e272805c5b9b3893c00acb27047372828.jpg

80-photo_2_307bd4b33c35c00b01a5e349c3ff24c53f0a32b9.jpg

80-photo_3_7686b1825457deccb3b25f7560e47d221c242dc2.jpg

I also took out the driver's side second row seat to make more room for changing and sitting up. My biggest complaint about a sleeping platform setup is headroom. There is never enough of it and changing clothes can be difficult. This allows me to sit on the edge of the bed and get dressed a lot easier. It also makes getting into and out of the truck a lot easier. I like having the passenger seat there as it allows for sitting in the back in a comfortable spot, maybe for working on the computer or eating inside when it's cold or rainy. My next rig is most likely going to be a ujoint van with pop-top roof. :)

80-photo_487f84587e9358cf9ac9eb329a4f81c60965fe29.jpg

I have also cut some Reflectix for the windows. I wanted a little more privacy at night. Even though the truck is so tall that you can barely see into it (especially with the tinted back windows), if I were to watch a movie or if someone shined a flashlight in, they could see everything inside. When camping at night I can toss these panels into the windows so that no one can see in. As an added bonus they also provide a huge amount of insulation from the sun in summer and a thermal barrier in winter. I've heard people rave about the results in the winter. They should also provide a bit more sound insulation but, honestly, I've never been bothered by noise in this truck. I'm used to sleeping everywhere in vehicles. I cut panels for both rear kickout windows, the back hatch glass, and both rear door windows. I normally hang a black blanket between the grab handles right behind the front row seats, so I didn't want one for the windshield. For discreet camping, this makes it look like the truck is just parked there with no one in it. Someone can look in the front and see the empty front seats but it just looks dark in the back, you cant tell there is a blanket hanging.

80-photo_1__c55147d8247d0468e67f6861aae9e4bea2356812.jpg

80-photo_2__4ed571fecb0ecef8e6afae998ea905d968db85ac.jpg

Some action shots:

80-80_vot002_41eb6571bdd4c736fe89e27695ebeadc7af32623_6080f321aacfc3f72de337dcbf9553f70425279e.jpg

80-80_vot003_d7c19a125cebd07e9e9c954ea40f1b48a3876ea4_693c3e13b6db3aa942ee81bbd56f8660120e22ca.jpg

80-80_vot006_3a4bd9d046951db29eaeecd97a77edfc5c1e748f_d2e8fe58966ef3cd4685f40d2519b9c2cc3f0043.jpg

Roof rack: The rack was built for me by a local fab shop - Third Shift Fabrication. I left the design and everything pretty much entirely up to them. We had originally planned for a couple of things to be different but I ended up getting pulled into the Vermont Overland Trophy with about a weeks notice so we had to shave some things off to get it built in time. In the end I am happy with it and I will probably go back at a later date to finish things up. Originally I wanted a ladder on the side and the MaxTrax off the sides but after wheeling this truck so much, it is already too wide. The first photo makes it look like the LED light bar is sticking up over the rails. It isn't. It is pretty well protected. I've been through a lot of branches and trees and there isnt a mark on it.

80-photo_1_1__d6b3adeebb2fad65af65d1324b9ada7701038408.jpg

80-photo_5_bc6075c2ac680a8ce07955c598589fb71aea5ba1.jpg

80-photo_4_27735d2b60392bba2fc1baae2735f84e45756605.jpg

80-photo_3_1__be12e462138df0c7eeec80d731414b6658ef8868.jpg

80-photo_2_1__4d36551a9c4557109a60664a27d2da9173385041.jpg

Awning deployed:

80-photo_2_2__4b4361f7b2306a26175616522af78fc607111be5.jpg

80-photo_1_2__e91bf4666788498a13c540adbc839f19db1c9a9e.jpg

I've certainly been enjoying the truck. I feel like a lot of it has been thrown together, but I'm too busy using it to spend the time to obsess over building it. I just got back from a nice little weekend trip up the Maine coast.

I love the ability to discreet camp in this truck. Anywhere you can park a truck for the night turns into a place to sleep. Just put up the reflectix to block the windows and go to sleep.

80-mainecoast007_0e1ad447b5a5e26d7dbd75017abb185c11bd63cd.jpg

80-mainecoast043_444ca1ad8e2a962e2ee05e11e48daddd9229579c.jpg

80-mainecoast054_b2813854e3c82bce819eff186103b41cdde03d62.jpg

Hate to tell you Ryan but ford does one better there was actually a code don't remember it to stop the ding ding ding door chime. Truck looks great.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Hate to tell you Ryan but ford does one better there was actually a code don't remember it to stop the ding ding ding door chime. Truck looks great.

Where were you with this information two weeks ago??? haha.

I looked around on the Ford forums for these things and this seemed to be the only way to do it. I figure that at this point, if I ever sell this, I am selling to a VERY limited market, and that market wont mind a cut door chime wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles