ExploringNH's 2000 Ford Excursion build

ExploringNH

Explorer
What gears are you running with those 37s?

Gas or diesel?

Any power mods?

Gas powered. 6.8l v10. No power mods at all. I am a fan of keeping the engine as close to 100% stock as possible.

3.73. Honestly, it isn't bad at all. I ran 33's on my 02 4Runner v6 with stock 4.10 and it was not fun. This truck handles them well. I easily cruise on the highway at 80mph and have no trouble getting up to speed. I do plan to swap to 4.30 in the future, but only because I will be swapping axles/lockers and there is no cost difference between 3.73 and 4.30.

98dango

Expedition Leader
My question is why 4.30 and not 4.56 or 4.88. I run a lower power 5.4 but these trucks came with 3.73 on a 30" tire I am thinking 4.56 or 4.88 I lean to a 38-39 on my truck. But a deeper gear might help as they love to spin.

ExploringNH

Explorer
My question is why 4.30 and not 4.56 or 4.88. I run a lower power 5.4 but these trucks came with 3.73 on a 30" tire I am thinking 4.56 or 4.88 I lean to a 38-39 on my truck. But a deeper gear might help as they love to spin.

4.30 is available as a factory ratio. ;) If money were no object, I would probably run 4.88.

98dango

Expedition Leader
So are you planning on used parts. New parts are 1000 give or take if your doin lockers and such labor is usually not more.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Did some demo work today. It's going to be a slow project over winter to rebuild the interior but I wanted to see what exactly was behind the paneling. There is some good usable space back there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416596626.082894.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I like your style mister.

Looks like a lot of extra usable space if you want to redirect some of those vents....

SG

D45

Explorer
Interesting, I was not aware 4.30s were an available gear

What axles are under the Excursion?

I am running 4.10s with my 37s, and a Diesel......I feel its good overall, but would like to see how 4.30s or 4.56s change things

A gear swap just would not be that cost effective for me

ExploringNH

Explorer
Today I decided to make use of a Rigid 10" SR LED bar that I've had lying around.

IMG_2108.JPGIMG_2106.JPGIMG_2104.JPG

I'm pretty much just puttering around in some free time. No real direction in mind. The big project is building out the back but I don't really want to start on that yet. In the meantime, I'll fix a few of the shortcomings that I've run into this year. Next up is some reverse lighting. I have some Rigid Duallys hanging around that I might use for that purpose.

I like your style mister.

Looks like a lot of extra usable space if you want to redirect some of those vents....

SG

I never use the overhead heat (heat rises anyway...) so that will free up a little space, and the lower vents will be redirected under the sleeping platform to better provide heating for a pre-warmed bed. I'm hoping to get some good usable storage out of this so that I can drop the bed down a couple of inches. My head just barely hits the roof when I sit up. It would be amazing to be able to sit up straight to get dressed in bed or use the computer, or whatever.

YES!! More pics please....how much space? Road noise an issue without trim in?

I haven't driven it without the interior, but I would imagine there is a substantial increase in road noise. I will be insulating the entire rear section before anything goes back in.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

D45

Explorer
Love the Buckstop!!! I have the same bumper on my Dodge

IMG_20141123_112231_073_zps9mj5tz9g.jpg

IMG_20141123_112235_536_zpsdpeqqlwy.jpg

ExploringNH

Explorer
Pulled the rest of it today. Blank canvas. I REALLY wanted to get the mattress sideways in the back but I don't think I can do it without losing more headroom, one of my biggest complaints with the current setup. I have 67" between the tops of the wheelwells. Unless I start cutting things, it won't fit. Decision time...

image1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior