$41 BaoFeng UV-82 Dual Band Handhelds

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Correct, it seems the cheapest versions come direct from Asia, without US warranty.

Take your pick, I guess

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
UV-82 help requested

Amazon dropped one off for me yesterday. It seems like a pretty nice radio for the price. The only complaint I have at this point is the VFO to Memory operation requires a shut down and restart.

Manual programming is pretty straight forward. It's basically the same procedure I used on the UV-5R.

From the Miklor: http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php:

Programming a Repeater Channel with any offset
(Standard or Odd Split)

This example is for: 146.700 MHz
600kHz minus offset
into channel 99
CTCSS tone 123.0

1. Set radio to VFO Mode (Frequency Mode)
a.) UV5R/GT3 - Press VFO/MR button
b.) UV82 - Turn radio OFF, then Press/Hold MENU button during PowerON.

2. Select Display A (this is a must)
a.) UV5R - Press [A/B] and select the Upper Display.
b.) UV82 - Press [EXIT A/B] and select the Upper Display.

3. Disable TDR (Dual Watch/Dual RX) which toggles between A and B.
Press [Menu] 7 [Menu]
Select OFF
Press [Menu] [Exit]

4. Delete Prior Data from the channel to be programmed.
Press [Menu] 2 8 [Menu]
Enter 9 9 (Memory Channel to clear)
Press [Menu] [Exit]

5. Store RX frequency
Enter 1 4 6 7 0 0
Press [Menu] 2 7 [Menu]
Enter 9 9 (Memory Channel)
Press [Menu] [Exit]

6. Set CTCSS or DCS codes for Transmit. (if needed)
( example = CTCSS TX tone 123.0 Hz )
Press [Menu] 1 3 [Menu]
Enter 1 2 3 0 [Menu] [Exit]

7. Store TX frequency
Enter 1 4 6 1 0 0
Press [Menu] 2 7 [Menu]
Enter 9 9 (Memory Channel)
Press [Menu] [Exit]

8. The split is now programmed.

This procedure can be used to program standard offsets as well cross band.
If you know the repeater's RX and TX, you can program them separately without using the repeater offset menus.

Thanks for posting that procedure. Although it's far easier to follow than the manual, I'm still missing something. I'm within reception range for a few local repeaters with a fair amount of traffic; at least when listening while in "frequency mode." When I follow the above procedure to store the repeater parameters and then go to "channel mode", I don't hear any traffic. I know the info is stored into memory since the correct receive frequency is displayed; but it's definitely not receiving any transmissions.

One thing that's puzzling me is that the above procedure says to enter the transmission frequency rather than the split. I don't see "transmission frequency" as a menu option but I do see options for repeater split and +/- as relevant. When entering the repeater info using those inputs and saving as a channel I can receive the repeater transmissions but don't know if I'm set up right for transmission. I tried transmitting my call sign but don't think it receached the repeater. I don't really know if it's a matter of not having the appropriate info programmed or if my puny 5 watts through a rubber ducky just doesn't have the oomph to get there. I receive transmissions quite strongly but there may be too many hills and distance for transmitting. If any of you seasoned Hams/UV-82 users have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. TIA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94