Super Duty camper build

Chuck59

Observer
This is an awesome build thread. I have seen this rig up close. She is tough looking and beautiful all at the same time.

Okki

Observer
Nice job Al!. Glad to see you got your Christmas present locked in! hhahaha.. did you get the pun there!?!? :wings:

Did you ever look into the Overland Expo in Flagstaff this coming May? www.overlandexpo.com

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Yeah, I looked into it. According to the misses, I won't be going on any long (expensive) trips unless I give up building the truck for a while. I would rather sink money in my truck and finish making it how I want it, and go on a trip in a year or two. I can still go wheeling around my local area that isn't to costly. I will see what I want to of this beautiful nation... in time.

jdinevens

Adventurer
Cool to finally see a build thread. congrats on getting the second locker, i remember seeing a post from a while back that you were still waiting on it. I'm almost done with this deployment, but i know what you mean about being somewhere beautiful but not being able to take it in. AFG would be a cool country if it wasn't tearing itself apart....

D45

Explorer
Any issues or problems with the G2 gears?

How did the power or mileage change after the swap?

I have been toying with some 4.30s or 4.56s for my truck......running 4.10s now

G2s have really good prices, but not sure on their quality

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
No problems with the gears so far. It's what they had at 4 Wheel Parts. She's a daily driver, I rack up more miles that the normal retired guy, but it's not like I drive an hr each way to work every day... I have pulled several people out of snowy ditches, and done some light snow wheeling. From what I can tell so far the lockers work great. Haven't tested them on more serious terrain yet. Can't wait to air down, hit the trail and do a real world test.
She cruises 65 mph @ 2K rpm. That's ok, I'm not a speed demon anymore now that I'm getting old. Besides...
When you go fast, you start to have too much fun...
When you start to have to much fun, the cops show up...
When the cops show up, and you're having too much fun going fast, you get in trouble...
Don't get in trouble, drive slowly.
I like the gear selection. She has plenty of grunt on the bottom end. I wanted power more than speed as I'm seldom in a hurry these days. Also have to drive nice and easy on snowy streets with mud tires. I'll get them siped for next year. She can still haul butt if I feel like it... it just destroys my MPGs. I almost went with a 4.56 gear, glad I didn't. Had them before in a gasser, worked great, but it would have been too much RPM for the diesel. The 4.30s are a good match for my needs and driving style. I'm only pulling down 11 to 12 mpg with the winter fuel, depending of if I an running with my hubs locked or not. I got as high as 16 during the fall on summer blend.

D45

Explorer
I would love to try 4.30s, but I am not sure it would be worth the total cost of the gears and install

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
just make more power! :sombrero:

I run 37s and 3.73s - While it doesn't do crap for me offroad I don't mind it on the street. I wish it had 4.10s stock, but what can ya do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste