Super Duty camper build

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
After reading many build threads, I decided to document the build of my own truck. I got a good deal on a 200,000 mile 1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty, crew cab, short bed, 4x4 with a 7.3L Power Stroke diesel. I was rust free, and factory everything except the wheels. …and the engine was making scary sounds. There will be several posts now, all at once, just to catch us up to where we are today, a little over 3 years after I got her. There will be follow up posts, as I have many plans left undone, but like most, I do a little at a time as money allows. Also, being as I don’t get around like I used to, (disabled vet) I ended up having most of it done, rather than do it myself. I enjoy wrenching, I just have to in short spurts these days. Here she is, day one.

So, I bought a different bumper. Wasn’t the first thing I needed, but I found it used for a good price. A big beefy Ranch Hand.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Next up new wheels, a Leer camper shell, stereo, CB, and Rhino lined lockers. They didn’t get done all at once, but I don’t have pictures of each change on its own. Again, not really doing things in order, (still need an engine) but… I started out on my own, installing a Cobra 29 Night Tracker CB, a Pioneer head unit and EQ. I ordered Q-logic Q forms kick panels and installed them with Eclipse speakers.

I had ordered the amps and JL Audio Stealthbox sub from Crutchfield, but got too sore and tired to mess with them… so here she is, new wheels and camper shell, sitting at the stereo shop.

After the Rhino lining of the quarters.

Sad thing is, I didn’t like the new wheels a week after I put them on. I sold the others, so I had to live with them for now.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
After saving up a while, the fun (expensive) part, New engine and trans for the old work horse. I wanted a little more power, and absolute reliability. This being my first diesel that wasn’t Army issue, I searched the interwebs. First, a tranny to back up my new engine. An ATS 5 Star 4R100 and torque converter was installed at Scheid Diesel In Lafayette, IN.

Best deal I came up with for the 7.3 was from an engine shop out in Erie PA called The Horse Power Shop. I chose their 400+ hp “Black Mamba” ordered one, and went for a drive. This is the tired old crap…

It gets worse…

Yes, it gets even worse… seems I had some bits of broken rings bouncing around inside…

This is what they put in for me…

I had them put in a free cold air intake, and a nowhere near free Banks Technicooler.

I also had them put on a 5” stainless exhaust. At first, it was straight piped, but the turbo was so loud it sounded like a helicopter. I had them add a muffler. Nice deep rumble. Sounds like a good old American V-8 with a little turbo wine in the background.

With my new engine and trans, I set off for home. I almost made it too. Twice had engine problems… First there was still air in the fuel lines, then an oil leak. Problems fixed… or so I thought. Then just as I was but a few miles from home, my new engine twisted the center out of the stock flexplate. (wonder if they even checked it for cracks) I sprung for the ATS billet flexplate to match the trans and had it installed locally.

That was 3 years ago. I have had teething problems with the engine, but it had been dependable for the most part. One thing it does have is power. Love it. The ATS 5 Star 4R100 has been flawless.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
After more saving, and buying parts piece at a time, the lift. Yes, raise it up to fit bigger tires. I wanted to go up 4”. Problem is, I wanted to go up 4” all around. Most 4” lift kits lift you up 4” in front, but only 2” in the rear, to level the truck out. I wanted to keep the factory rake. Lift parts, wheels and tires came from 4 Wheel Parts, in Indianapolis, IN. I ordered 4” springs for the front, and 6” ones for the rear. That brought me up 4” all around. I went with Pro Comp springs as they were less expensive, yet still had tapered leaves with anti-friction pads on each. For shocks I splurged and ordered Fox Racing 2.0 Pro series reservoir units. None in stock anywhere so they were custom build out in CA at Fox Racing. I wrapped Pro Comp Steelies in 35” Toyo Open Country MTs and topped them of with trim rings from Summit Racing. I also got my 4 Rigid industries LED spots there, and put them on the front bumper. I ordered the Yakima roof rack online.

The engine guys had given me a Ranch Hand bumper from a Dodge they bought for the Cummins engine, I had my brother-in-law fab it up to fit the Ford, and added tow shackles from a CUCV.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Then I stumbled upon expeditionportal.com. Not only could I go off roading, but I could camp out once I got there. I’ve had to bed down many times in strange places during my 28 years in the Army. Now retired, I could go where ever I wanted to. Too many times I have seen some incredible places, yet couldn’t really take in the beauty of the place because I was focused on a mission. The photos I was seeing of people’s travels were great. I set out to fit my truck for expo travel. I still needed to be able to still use my truck as a truck, so with minimal experience, old tools, and used left over plywood, my son and I added storage on the sides, leaving the center of the bed open. My daughter graduated from a twin bed to a queen size, so when it comes time for my travels, her old real twin mattress will be placed in the bed for a very comfy nights sleep, with room to sit up straight.

On the right side, we built around a toolbox I had installed previously.

On the left, we built in an open section at the rear to allow easy access to recovery gear.

In front of the wheel wells are two small cubbies.

The left side has a long compartment with top access. I can use this with stuff laying in the bed, or even through the side windoors in the Leer shell. You can see the door to this, and all compartments, are poorly cut out. My jigsaw battery wouldn’t hold a charge, and the Roto-Zip was hard to control in a straight line. It kept wanting to curve into the wood following the spin of the bit. Oh well, function trumps aesthetics…

A smaller, end opening compartment was built into the front portion of the right side. I mounted a constant duty VIAIR air compressor on the rear of that side, leaving room to mount my inverter… one of these days. The compressor is accessible at the rear of the truck for airing up tires or working with air tools, and will also run front and rear ARB air lockers.

Over the right wheel well we built a compartment to place a house battery. This powers the compressor, and will power the inverter and other things in the future. It is charged by the truck through a switched constant duty relay sourced at a camper supply place on line.

The compressor is mounted above the battery compartment, and the tank over the toolbox. The quick disconnect hose fitting can be reached by opening the camper shell.

Above the recovery gear, also accessible from the ground is a fire extinguisher. It’s twin rides in the cab.

I added a couple of cleats to hold a plywood piece in at the front of the bed. This is easily removable and allows me to carry extra fuel. Future plans are for a rear bumper tire carrier and 3 jerry can holder.

Hanging from the ceiling is a lockable gun cabinet.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
More saving, and I get the rear ARB air locker installed. I also changed from the factory 3.73 gears to 4.30 gears by G2 and topped it off with a Mag-Hytec diff cover.

Finally, yesterday, the culmination of my 3 year quest thus far… my front locker and matching 4.30 gears.

Now I just need that tire/jerry can carrier, winch a longer range fuel tank... Does it ever end? Oh yeah, I also need to start traveling this wonderful country God blessed me to be born in. This brings me up to date on the last three years. Any new mods or maint will be done on a monthly basis as finances allow.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
daddyusmaximus -- Congratulations on your progress with this beast! I've seen you share various aspects here and there, notably the OBA and tool config in the back. Very well done!! Big calming moments I'd guess with the the front ARB locked down with it's rear twin. Aside from the upcoming mods, what kind of trips you have in mind in the short term, if any? Care to share what might be the "goal" trip?

Again, great great job!

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Thanks. Dream trips include Moab, the entire old 2 lane route 66, and Alaska up into the Arctic Circle. Short term is just weekend trips until home repairs can be made, and kids graduated from high school.

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Nice PSD bro! Congrats on getting her done and ready to explore, eager to see where you take her.
Buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I've looked at their engines before. I'd love to know what kind of "Teething Problems" you have had with it?
I left their shop twice with air in the lines and had to turn back within minutes. Also had a fuel leak in the filter bowl. then I made it an hr out and she quit. Can't remember what it was, but they called me a tow truck, I came back and they fixed it. Then I got 3 hrs out and stopped to let Princess (Golden/Chow mix) go pee. (yeah, I brought my dog, I told everyone she was a service animal. She was so well behaved it was easy to pull off. It helps when you're a crip and walk with a cane.) Anyhow, as I was walking her back to the truck, I noticed a good size puddle of oil under it. Crack in the HPOP reservoir. Camped out in the camper shell the night. They came with a truck and a goose neck. Then there was the flexplate twisting apart. Everything got fixed, I was just disappointed in the quality control. Now, the engine is strong as hell and has been pretty good since then with one exception... I can't use the wipers on the "interval" setting or she bucks and kicks. NOBODY has been able to figure this out. I use RainX and only turn them on low or high. PITA, but just can't get that one gremlin tracked down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste